Media SILENT HILLS by Hideo Kojima & Guilleromo Del Toro - Starring Norman Reedus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't Del Toro working on some horror game called Insanity or something a few years back? I think I remember seeing a teaser with his name on it but I haven't heard anything else about it in awhile. Did it get canceled?

Wasn't Del Toro working on some horror game called Insanity or something a few years back? I think I remember seeing a teaser with his name on it but I haven't heard anything else about it in awhile. Did it get canceled?

Yeah, now that you mention it, there was a game being made by him.

Who knows wtf happened to it :lol

Well, horror games are more enjoyable by yourself, and alone in the dark with the volume turned up. Had many sleepless nights with Siren: Blood Curse.

Yeah, but in this case in particular, it's fun to play with others too.

Or just watch them play :lol

Well I gotta say after watching IGN's quiet walkthrough (I won't be getting a PS4 until after MGSV comes out) I was very pleasantly surprised. I was happy with how Kojima handled this PT. The aesthetics (distorted fetus, head-shaking ghost), the vibe (growing oppression of the environment), the sound effects/music (if you could even call it music), even the subtle mind-bending puzzles, it FEELS like a Silent Hill game. It's that sense of identity that I was worried about initially but the gameplay mechanics shown in the PT put all my worries to rest. The forced sense of repetitive gameplay to put the player's guard down, and the level design being as much of an entity on its own, all really feels like Silent Hill in next-gen.

So Gaspar, while I concede that Kojima literally managed to pull an effective Silent Hill game in first-person just through this teaser, I will say that this partly proved my point in how SH isn't just about the themes/story. And having watched what Kojima CAN do on a game design level (even without a "good story" to back it up), it makes me very hopeful that he can pull this off in third-person while maintaining what makes a Silent Hill game. Add on Del Toro, and I'm very excited to see what he can bring on the table, especially considering how some of the previous work he's done already feel very much akin to stuff from SH (Kroenen's subtle depiction of body-horror under translucent sheets and the Pale Man's very existence come into mind).

lol at anyone who says this feels like a silent hill game, it's nothing like silent hill.

Love that you have to indirectly reply to my post and target my opinion instead of actually justifying your own.

Not just you. There's a lot of misguided people out there saying it's just like Silent Hill but the demo is to play like one of those crappy indie horror games. Kojima knows better.

lol at anyone who says this feels like a silent hill game, it's nothing like silent hill.

I disagree. SH4 has a 1st person option and involved running around an APT in that pov; this is not unlike that. However, had I gone into this cold, at no point would I have thought, 'this is SH'

New feel is a good thing. SH got old for a reason

I'm probably the only girl who can't stand Norman Reedus, he's overhyped and he always plays the same character scruffy, and with hair in his face like a dog.

That's until he becomes your new favorite thing. :lol :p

Last edited:
I disagree. SH4 has a 1st person option and involved running around an APT in that pov; this is not unlike that. However, had I gone into this cold, at no point would I have thought, 'this is SH'

New feel is a good thing. SH got old for a reason

Did you just contradict yourself? You disagree with me but then say you would have no idea this is silent Hill if you didn't read outside sources... Which is exactly my point?

It's a new feel which is nice but you cannot tell me this plays like a silent Hill game. It lacks something... Can't tell what.

It's a new feel which is nice but you cannot tell me this plays like a silent Hill game. It lacks something... Can't tell what.

Sorry but no. If this were an indie horror game, I would've thought that it was actually ripping off a lot of SH elements with a touch of Fatal Frame to boot.

From the static sound effects and radio plot device (SH1 onwards), rhythmic "music" (SH1 onwards), "startling" sound effects triggered with no consequence (SH 1 onwards), the motion blurred head-shaking aesthetic of the enemy (SH2 onwards), the "peer into the other room" elements (SH4 onwards), teasing a "big monster" in the distance (SH2 onwards), no-combat 1st person exploration (SH4's apartment), the mass of cockroaches (SH1 onwards) and finally, the bait-and-switch/back-and-forth puzzles/quirks through visual recognition.

If you were talking about it purely from a controls point of view, I might have partly agreed with you as I'm not saying "OMG it plays JUST like a Silent Hill game". Rather there's a lot of tired SH tropes and mechanics in the PT that you'd have to be blind not to notice a single one of them being implemented here. "Crappy indie horror games" as a justification isn't gonna cut it when a) this is obviously just a teaser b) there's a lot of damn good indie horror games nowadays and finally, c) a lot of indie horror games don't rely on surreal environmental changes/interactions in their puzzles and narrative as much as this one (like the SH franchise in general). If you can't even begin to describe what you think it "lacks", then sorry to say but I'm really having a hard time taking your word on this.

You got some valid points. If I could actually play the demo might change my mind. I'm relying on stupid people playing who are pretty **** at the demo anyways.

It just didn't scream silent Hill to me. Something is off about it. Dunno. Just a demo anyways... Not even. A teaser.

You got some valid points. If I could actually play the demo might change my mind. I'm relying on stupid people playing who are pretty **** at the demo anyways.

It just didn't scream silent Hill to me. Something is off about it. Dunno. Just a demo anyways... Not even. A teaser.

I reckon everyone is stupid the 1st time they played this :lol

1st time I played it it took me around an hour to finish it... cause you're so used to recent games being so linear and holding your hand that you forget to see and explore, this game forces you to think, which is were the Silent Hill comparison pops up.

And don't worry, it's been said that this demo will have nothing to do with the actual game, and that it was purposefully made to play and look like an indie game.

It doesn't look nor feels like an indie game though :lol if that's the worst Kojima can do, I don't doubt the actual game will be great.

Just wondering, shouldn't the thread title be "Silent Hill" and not "Silent Hills"?

Nope, it's Silent Hills.

There are many theories around about that.

I think that the plural hints at several realities, with the teaser mentioning things about a gap in the door being a separate reality, "the only me is me, are you sure the only you is you"? And stuff like that.

Some people also think it's because the player will be the character and everybody will have their own silent hill, and apparently, nobody has been able to replicate someone else's final pattern in the teaser.

I think both make sense in the context of the folklore.

1st time I played it it took me around an hour to finish it... cause you're so used to recent games being so linear and holding your hand that you forget to see and explore, this game forces you to think, which is were the Silent Hill comparison pops up.

And don't worry, it's been said that this demo will have nothing to do with the actual game, and that it was purposefully made to play and look like an indie game.

It doesn't look nor feels like an indie game though :lol if that's the worst Kojima can do, I don't doubt the actual game will be great.

Took me a few days to beat it :slap

This has some great atmosphere and ambiance, but unfortunately, I got bored when I couldn't figure out the next trigger. Too bad. Nice effort for the most part. I'm mostly unfamiliar with the series anyway. The teaser has done a brilliant job of creating the hype and awareness though.

My take on it... it is a playable 'teaser trailer', so the gameplay is in no way reflective of the final product... Essentially, had the trailer been non-playable, we would have had maybe 30 seconds of creepy corridor in first person view, with a couple of ghost scare moments, and then it would have gone to the Norman Reedus part...

My take on it... it is a playable 'teaser trailer', so the gameplay is in no way reflective of the final product... Essentially, had the trailer been non-playable, we would have had maybe 30 seconds of creepy corridor in first person view, with a couple of ghost scare moments, and then it would have gone to the Norman Reedus part...

Yeah, exactly.

Nice of Kojima to make us play a part on the teaser and let us discover it by ourselves, while having a good time.

Back