1/6 Sideshow GI Joe line on Hiatus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build your own! My Bazooka is almost done other than the back pack, and Alpine is in the works too!

I would love Bazooka, but he's kind of second tier, so I'd be okay if I didn't have him on my shelf.

If we got him, though, we'd need his boyfriend Alpine. ;)

BazookaWIP_zps1eb99d1b.jpg

BazookaWIP2_zpsc7de95d6.jpg

Maybe they'll have Scarlett for SDCC next year. As I've mentioned before, I just don't know why Scarlett wasn't ready to go last year as they took a year to put Baroness up for order...

Picked up the jersey without numbers from Stealthfox in a trade, and made the numbers myself

Waste of money? Baroness might just be the best GI Joe figure they've made, imo...

The only reason it hasn't sold out is the price - HAS to be. I mean, it looks spectacular.

She does look spectacular and she is overpriced. Buying her would be a waste of my money at this time, yes.

She does look spectacular and she is overpriced. Buying her would be a waste of my money at this time, yes.

Is she overpriced? She is less than Hot Toys... dont get me wrong I think they are hugely overpriced too but if that is becoming industry standard...

Is she overpriced? She is less than Hot Toys... dont get me wrong I think they are hugely overpriced too but if that is becoming industry standard...

Sideshow's no Hot Toys... they like to think so, though (and price accordingly!).

$120 or so was the magic number. I can't believe it's somehow impossible to make and sell these figures at that price. I mean, that's still a LOT of money for most people.

Sideshow's no Hot Toys... they like to think so, though (and price accordingly!).

$120 or so was the magic number. I can't believe it's somehow impossible to make and sell these figures at that price. I mean, that's still a LOT of money for most people.

its not just the making, its also the license fees etc...
the price of oil pushes the cost of plastic up a lot, im not saying these arent over priced (they are!) but $120? Hot Toys are charging $200 for Gamora & she comes with less accessories.
its a lot of money for me too, at the moment in making $350 a week, $400 if im lucky (which is why i buy **** all now!)

I tend to agree that some of the mark-up is due to licensing fees, but part of it is also trying to maximize profit margins. When DAMtoys and Soldier Story can put out a fully loaded figure for around $130, that means the licensing appears to take in about $40-$50 on average for a Sideshow GI Joe. When you look at it from that point of view, you really can question SSC's pricing. I'm paying for a name.

Here's an idea SSC: why not do what some companies do, and provide something that COULD be GI Joe, without naming it GI Joe. You could knock off the licensing fee, charge the consumer a lot less, and have a lot of happy repeat customers! Generic troopers in green uniforms with different sculpts, for example...

I tend to agree that some of the mark-up is due to licensing fees, but part of it is also trying to maximize profit margins. When DAMtoys and Soldier Story can put out a fully loaded figure for around $130, that means the licensing appears to take in about $40-$50 on average for a Sideshow GI Joe. When you look at it from that point of view, you really can question SSC's pricing. I'm paying for a name.

Here's an idea SSC: why not do what some companies do, and provide something that COULD be GI Joe, without naming it GI Joe. You could knock off the licensing fee, charge the consumer a lot less, and have a lot of happy repeat customers! Generic troopers in green uniforms with different sculpts, for example...

For the same reason hot toys stopped that.

Becuase it would damage their reputation, and make it harder for them to get legitimate liscneses in the future.

For the same reason hot toys stopped that.

Becuase it would damage their reputation, and make it harder for them to get legitimate liscneses in the future.

OK, makes sense and I accept that statement. Heaven knows I don't need another unwanted/unlicensed sculpt of a famous person. But it seems like there should be another way to skin the proverbial cat.

But other than Star Wars, GI Joe is the only long-term 1:6 license they've had. DC and Marvel may give them a bump in the near term, but I'm not to optimistic about the future of those lines. I really wish they would look at ways to bring the prices down. But to restate that and suggest ideas is only rehashing what has been said in this and other threads. That would just result in the expenditure of unnecessary energy.

The board in general appears to be suffering a morale hit. With the exception of Da Bronx Commando and Spiderrouge, the output of customs has even slowed considerably more than when we were just waiting for the next SSC release. I know a few of us like Skiman and Ross are trying to change that, but this community is in a funk! We need to find ways to shake it off and move ahead without SSC.

OK, makes sense and I accept that statement. Heaven knows I don't need another unwanted/unlicensed sculpt of a famous person. But it seems like there should be another way to skin the proverbial cat.

But other than Star Wars, GI Joe is the only long-term 1:6 license they've had. DC and Marvel may give them a bump in the near term, but I'm not to optimistic about the future of those lines. I really wish they would look at ways to bring the prices down. But to restate that and suggest ideas is only rehashing what has been said in this and other threads. That would just result in the expenditure of unnecessary energy.

The board in general appears to be suffering a morale hit. With the exception of Da Bronx Commando and Spiderrouge, the output of customs has even slowed considerably more than when we were just waiting for the next SSC release. I know a few of us like Skiman and Ross are trying to change that, but this community is in a funk! We need to find ways to shake it off and move ahead without SSC.

:lecture:goodpost::exactly::clap:hi5:

For me, it's just time, not enough of it for customs.

someone should do a contest..create your own joe/cobra bash....maybe that would spark some interest? i can get TA to donate a $25 buck prize probably....maybe some other people can donate a few things, etc....thoughts?

(i made a thread..take a look)

Last edited:
someone should do a contest..create your own joe/cobra bash....maybe that would spark some interest? i can get TA to donate a $25 buck prize probably....maybe some other people can donate a few things, etc....thoughts?

Good idea, cant promise I will time or money to enter but I think we need something like that on here...
I might be able to get a half decent judge for it...

Good idea, cant promise I will time or money to enter but I think we need something like that on here...
I might be able to get a half decent judge for it...

Right! Money's a factor too. It's been low priority nowadays. Buying / trading loose parts. Too much time. A lot of effort.

Back