1/6 Sideshow GI Joe line on Hiatus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingmetal

Super Freak
Reaction score
Mentioned by Teemu and confirmed by CAhobbit AKA Sideshow Alex.
it's true...I asked....anything in 2015 is likely not happening either

Sorry to disappoint the Joe fans with this but there will not be any GI Joe news at SDCC this year. Hopefully something in 2015!

Alex

The line was great too...I guess that allows me to collect something else.I wonder if Sideshow dropped the license or Hasblow decided to stop Sideshow from continuing since they don't seem to care much about Joe
What I stated shouldn't be taken as Sideshow no longer has the license as we still do. Currently there is nothing on tap for 2014.

-SideshowAlex
Also Sideshow will have nothing 1:6 GI Joe at SDCC 2014.
This sad news deserves it's own discussion thread.
For those that don't have experience with Sideshow, typically when they announce a line is on hiatus it usually means the end of the line.

Yeah, thanks for starting this, the discussion was definitely overshadowing the Destro thread.

I'm ready to move on myself. A 5 year run aint too shabby.
I think most of us were delighted to have it last this long. The line overall is a dud in the portfolio of Sideshow, however it had its really shinning moments.

The reasons are simple. Overpriced their items to the point that side characters were not attractive at that price point, so as such felt need to rehash characters. Then they put out a really poorly designed figure which disappointed everybody.

They'll now go on to do other licenses which they can mark up because of they're relatively new to the medium. Once that novelty wears off its on to the next. IMO there's no reason Joe can't go on for much longer if SSC wasn't so concerned with meeting the highest margins. Problem with today's business world. No one is satisfied with consistent performers. They only want dramatic movers.

would figure tho..i start to collect the joes and it goes bust(hope it doesnt really stop tho..and we won't really know until next year)....fingers crossed....

at least if they do stop doing them..just means more business for me...;) (not a bad thing maybe after all..lol)

Thank god, they finally killed the line. That's around $800 a year Sideshow won't see from me anymore.

I blame that $200 Snake Eyes & Timber for the downward spiral...

I agree with some of what Prog says. I think there could have been more of an audience for Joes if the quality, and design decisions justified the price. But to keep increasing prices while giving us uneven quality figures in almost all departments, heavy parts reuse, really questionable "interpretations" of some characters, lackluster bodies, etc. it's just a hard sell. If these were Hot Toys quality figures, that looked like the card art, I would buy every single figure, including the '86ers. But they aren't, so I've been very choosy myself, and I'm a huge Joe fan, and primarily a high end collector. Having said that, I'm still not sure if the audience would be all that enthusiastic at this point. The moment of nostalgic Joe resurgence peaked about 6 years ago. So in a sense, I do think we're fortunate to have what we have. I personally got almost all my favorites from the old toy line/cartoon/comic, with the exception of Destro which I skipped for obvious reasons, and the Crimson Twins, which they never got around to. I can see them coming back with a figure here or there over the next few years though.

This is terrible news. I can't say I'm surprised but I had hoped this wouldn't be the outcome.

no one said that it was dead....just nothing new this year....but if they don't show off anything at SDCC this year(for next year)..then it really probably is....if so...well..it was fun..if not..cool..more figures!

I think one way Sideshow let the line down is they failed to innovate. When Sideshow is asking for a Joe at the same price or in some cases a quarter less then much better designed and detailed offerings from DID, Soldier Story, Hot Toys and others, people decide to spend their limited disposable income on figures in the same category that are perceived to have the higher value. Far more detailed and correctly scaled weapons and accessories, bodies designed specifically for each character, innovations in realistic sculpting detail, casting and painting, and highly elaborate costumes that are made to a superior standard are what's out there for Sideshow to compete against. Love And nostalgia for the characters and toys from RAH is really the only thing going for them when it comes to GI Joe. So when Sideshow reinterprets a RAH design so divergently from the toy, card art, and comic appearances they lose much of that nostalgia interest, it becomes an even harder thing to sell.

I agree with some of what Prog says. I think there could have been more of an audience for Joes if the quality, and design decisions justified the price. But to keep increasing prices while giving us uneven quality figures in almost all departments, heavy parts reuse, really questionable "interpretations" of some characters, lackluster bodies, etc. it's just a hard sell. If these were Hot Toys quality figures, that looked like the card art, I would buy every single figure, including the '86ers. But they aren't, so I've been very choosy myself, and I'm a huge Joe fan, and primarily a high end collector. Having said that, I'm still not sure if the audience would be all that enthusiastic at this point. The moment of nostalgic Joe resurgence peaked about 6 years ago. So in a sense, I do think we're fortunate to have what we have. I personally got almost all my favorites from the old toy line/cartoon/comic, with the exception of Destro which I skipped for obvious reasons, and the Crimson Twins, which they never got around to. I can see them coming back with a figure here or there over the next few years though.

I don't know if I blame the price, I mean if they are sitting on inventory simply drop the price back down. Don't think there overcall cost went up to justify the increase, as aside from the head sculpt many parts were just reused. I blame SSC overall's mismanagement of the line, to the actual pieces and interpretations of the figures. Which to be honest I have had no problem with, even Destro

I mean if they ever really gave a crap about this line and wanted to drop resources into it, they could have banged out almost all of the original 86 figs with little cost to the them. But the they were to busy trying to bilk us with environments.

Could it be that they're cooling off from doing 1/6 cause seriously they suck at it? Drake sucks. Everyone hates Destro. I haven't seen anything other than star wars.

Could it be that they're cooling off from doing 1/6 cause seriously they suck at it? Drake sucks. Everyone hates Destro. I haven't seen anything other than star wars.

Everyone seems to love Snake Plissken. They did well enough there for me.

Hiatus my ass. It's over. Finished. Done. Sayonara. No Joe.

Everyone seems to love Snake Plissken. They did well enough there for me.

Yeah, you know? I mean, I feel they're going Drake (you know how it looked all great on the floor in SDCC, but turned to sheet in hand) that figure somehow. Sorry for being pessimistic. And I hope it does well for them.

It's weird cause they have like 40 or so 1/6 figures. I wonder what they're planning. Maybe they're starting over.

I can agree.
SW is doing so well because SSC loves selling repaints. If the conveyer belt aint broke don't slow it down. If it is.... start a new one.

no one said that it was dead....just nothing new this year....but if they don't show off anything at SDCC this year(for next year)..then it really probably is....if so...well..it was fun..if not..cool..more figures!

they are NOT showing anything at SDCC at all...there is no IF...they're not

a 2015 lineup was a guess as "hopeful"....that means the line is done!

Yeah, you know? I mean, I feel they're going Drake (you know how it looked all great on the floor in SDCC, but turned to sheet in hand) that figure somehow. Sorry for being pessimistic. And I hope it does well for them.

Oh man I just checked out the Drake thread, he looks terrible. How could they let that slip by.
I was looking forward to getting Snake, now I'm apprehensive.

Back