Sideshow Forrum getting bad rep.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other is finding companys on Facebook and seeing any news on release. Also if its a knock off like flash or dc or marvel character of i try n find where to buy if a small release and for some reason the mods have told me board can get sued by having knock of threads which i dont understand why other groups may discuss with out fear of lawsuits as well as custom's ??? I dont know maybe its because we are in U.S.A and they might not be in country idk ???:dunno

I'm actually kind of amazed the things people say on Facebook with their true identity. It's pretty bad on here with anonymous people, but it's far worse on FB.

The way people treat each other is pretty appalling these days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

People have an inflated sense of the value of their opinions. It makes them defensive, aggressive, and boring. This place is not boring, mostly because it has lots of sharp things.

:blissysmi

Remind me again how you've contributed to the sixth scale community?
Ah, yes... it's all about "the community"...

society-1989-movie-6.jpg

I'm just buyin' dolls and talk to people who do the same.
I don't wanna be a "star" or part of some kind of "elite", that's just stupid.
I mean... buyin' dolls is stupid too but HEY, let's not dig too deep into it. :lol

__

And I love SSF because it has it all.
Stupid dolls, stupid elitists, stupid topics, stupid posts...
I feel like a human bein' here.

I'll take Riddick over some guy with a thin skin and inflated sense of self importance trying to hock his "insider" videos every time. At least he's here just because he is passionate about geek stuff as a collector and movie goer.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

From the horse's mouth. Sadly, this kind of pervasive attitude here is probably why this forum has the reputation it has.

From the horse's mouth. Sadly, this kind of pervasive attitude here is probably why this forum has the reputation it has.
Dave is the final arbiter of everything of course, but I don't apologize for wanting this forum to be a place for collectors first and foremost. Great if folks with ulterior motives can come along and provide something of value to collectors in the process, without getting in the way or creating undue problems in their wake. But these people self-promoting should not be prioritized over actual fans and collectors. Quite the opposite. If this turns people off to the forum, then I won't lose sleep over it. Check the name of the forum. If it were "The 1/6 YouTube Allstars" forum, I would have more sympathy for your argument.

Dave is the final arbiter of everything of course, but I don't apologize for wanting this forum to be a place for collectors first and foremost. Great if folks with ulterior motives can come along and provide something of value to collectors in the process, without getting in the way or creating undue problems in their wake. But these people self-promoting should not be prioritized over actual fans and collectors. Quite the opposite. If this turns people off to the forum, then I won't lose sleep over it. Check the name of the forum. If it were "The 1/6 YouTube Allstars" forum, I would have more sympathy for your argument.

To each his own, I guess. Personally I would rather have people here who are trying to provide information, insight, reviews etc (regardless of their "ulterior motives")-basically people who are promoting the industry we have all come to enjoy, than others whose only source of participation are useless clips, gifs, emoticons and snarky quips every other post. The latter of which has to be at least 75% of the people here.

I know I'm not the only the one who thinks this, hence the reputation this site has. And it's not just Budget Stark, let's not attack the low hanging fruit here, why don't we address why Sideshow (the very company this forum was named after no less) reps don't post here anymore, or any artists such as Andy B.

Last edited:
To each his own, I guess. Personally I would rather have people here who are trying to provide information, insight, reviews etc (regardless of their "ulterior motives")-basically people who are promoting the industry we have all come to enjoy, than others whose only source of participation are useless clips, gifs, emoticons and snarky quips every other post. The latter of which has to be at least 75% of the people here.

I know I'm not the only the one who thinks this, hence the reputation this site has. And it's not just Budget Stark, let's not attack the low hanging fruit here, why don't we address why Sideshow (the very company this forum was named after no less) reps don't post here anymore, or any artists such as Andy B.

Because curtain people couldn't keep their mouths shut and be polite

They are too busy to hang around much. If they couldn't take criticism or whatever, then they wouldn't have opened up all the social media accounts that they have now. Believe me, they'll hear worse on those than they ever will here. Comes with the territory these days, sorry to say.

I don't think the SSC analogy works quite as well. In the past, some of those guys would come here because it was their job to do so. They would do contests and the like. SSC clearly changed their focus a few years ago, pivoting away from existing collectors and more toward attracting new customers (no more obvious than the changes made to Spooktacular), and the change in their level of involvement seems to follow from this. But there have been instances where artists or SSC staff were run off because of members. Sometimes because some members were jerks--Trevor Grove being an obvious example. Sometimes for being dense--there was a discussion in the 1/6 Green Lantern thread that seemed that way to me. And the hammer came down pretty hard in instances like this on misbehaving boardies, for what it's worth. The mods do work to enforcing civility when a member of a company or an artist working for a company comes here. But if you go too far with the censorship of opinion then you just become an ad space for reviewers, artists, and businesses to promote themselves. What fun would that be? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you're gonna piss somebody off no matter what you do.

Grove certainly was not the jerk. Apart from being one of the most amazing sculptors on earth, he was incredibly generous in offering up casts of his sculpts for very reasonable prices. And he was a affable, likable guy here. But an idiot recast some of his work, and in the process ruined Grove's involvement on the boards, and generosity in doing fun sculpts on the cheap for everyone moving forward.

I dunno, I throw myself into the gifs and quips and yet I still manage to get all the information, insight and reviews I need right here in this forum or via links posted by people in my threads of interest. I don't see the problem. Don't we also have a page that's for news only

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/content/

If people want to avoid the kind of interactions the rest of us enjoy they should just drop in on that every now and again.

Yes. There is free reign for folks to promote themselves, really to their heart's content, whether they have their own webpage, Youtube video, company, etc. Because it is important that collectors have information about what is going on. But the key is to do it the right way. If you create a new thread for every new video you start up, that's going to rub some members the wrong way. And if you are perceived to be spamming threads with this stuff, you may rub some members the wrong way. But if you get push-back or criticism, you should follow mod instruction, but just roll with it if people are being critical within those parameters. When folks can do that, everything seems fine from where I sit. But getting defensive and combative with members in those situations just leads to more conflict, to members more prone to report posts and contact mods, etc.

Just curious, is 196 videos in a handful of sections in 8 months considered a lot?

Nah, that's totally reasonable :lol

It's funny... I hop over quite a few sections (Star Wars, General, Horror, Customs) and I actually don't see that much negativity. Now I do avoid anything remotely political, sports/non-collectible related... so maybe it's just luck.

I also don't give two ****s about someone who has a different opinion than mine or feel any need to get into a pissing contest on here. I generally only see negativity because I get notified when members start arguing and name calling... which does happen, but it's not like it's every thread or all the time. Usually it's a few recurrent members who can't seem to either take a joke or let stuff go.

As for FB groups, I find those things obnoxious. Just a lot of posts that have little to no information or discussion. I get news I need here and know enough members to enjoy the experience.

Youtubers are touchy emotional bastards that dont take criticism well. :lol I'm not gonna name name's lol but if they get praise its all perfect to them but god forbid they actually get anything negative they can turn on ya like a snake mmmmm kay.....:horror I flippen hate people use that term or dont how to pose a damn figure for a review or complain how hard it is to review toys while they get free stuff.:lol They love saying dont get free items or big discounts or think the reviews are so amazing they should be sponsored.:slap:lol How some of the youtubers are still sponsored is beyond me....:lol

Back