Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I dodged almost every bullet. No scratches, lights work, cape is perfect, no broken tusks anywhere, nothing missing, paint is fine, etc., etc.; the only thing wrong is I got an a symmetrical helmet like someone recently posted. It's bugging me a little so if SS could give me a better one, why not take them up on it. It's not horrible and not the end of the world though. I'm just happy I got an all-around good one :yess:

I gotta say I'm way more impressed than I was expecting to be. Even bylooking at the best of the pics that have been posted so far, I thought it was a really good fig but not a great fig. It's a GREAT fig! Anyone with reservations or doubts... get it before it's gone!

I was sure that I was going to need to upgrade to a custom cape, but it's really not necessary. The cape & tunic are surprisingly good. Everything from head to toe is bad a$$ and even the skinny arms aren't as God awful as they were appearing in pics (still bad but not as bad as I was expecting). It was also a nice surprise to see the production Anakin sculpt come out so well. It's not HT level of paint but IMO it's better than Han, Luke, Snake or anything else SS has coming up.

It’s head and shoulders better than ANH Vader, but I’m keeping both. Something about it still feels SS and not HT though; maybe the hands or that ridiculous lit saber. It’s not pure perfection but actually the lit saber is my only real gripe with this set; that thing is horrible

Well, I dodged almost every bullet. No scratches, lights work, cape is perfect, no broken tusks anywhere, nothing missing, paint is fine, etc., etc.; the only thing wrong is I got an a symmetrical helmet like someone recently posted. It's bugging me a little so if SS could give me a better one, why not take them up on it. It's not horrible and not the end of the world though. I'm just happy I got an all-around good one :yess:

I gotta say I'm way more impressed than I was expecting to be. Even bylooking at the best of the pics that have been posted so far, I thought it was a really good fig but not a great fig. It's a GREAT fig! Anyone with reservations or doubts... get it before it's gone!

I was sure that I was going to need to upgrade to a custom cape, but it's really not necessary. The cape & tunic are surprisingly good. Everything from head to toe is bad a$$ and even the skinny arms aren't as God awful as they were appearing in pics (still bad but not as bad as I was expecting). It was also a nice surprise to see the production Anakin sculpt come out so well. It's not HT level of paint but IMO it's better than Han, Luke, Snake or anything else SS has coming up.

It’s head and shoulders better than ANH Vader, but I’m keeping both. Something about it still feels SS and not HT though; maybe the hands or that ridiculous lit saber. It’s not pure perfection but actually the lit saber is my only real gripe with this set; that thing is horrible

If you mean it's got a tilted dome, you pop it in hot water for a few seconds adjust it at let it cool in the right place. I took it a bit further and tilted the helm back slightly, same here my only issue is really the saber and I'd like more hands (yes more) I am you father and another true right hand belt grip

Forgot to add that I'm in the minority; I dig the EX hand and will definitely make use of it

If you mean it's got a tilted dome, you pop it in hot water for a few seconds adjust it at let it cool in the right place. I took it a bit further and tilted the helm back slightly, same here my only issue is really the saber and I'd like more hands (yes more) I am you father and another true right hand belt grip

Yea, I saw you're posts about the hot water helmet tweak. I'm going to sit on that for I few days and see if it bugs me enough to have to do. I do agree with you that the ESB/ROTJ helmet doesn't sit as low as ANH and it should sit right above his eyes instead of slightly covering the top; I feel SS got that right. And yea this lit saber is a joke. Really disappointing for a 1/6 piece of this level.

My helmet is a little crooked when looking straight on. There's a much smaller gap bt the right eye than there is by the left. Someone posted it within the last 10-15 pages but I'm too shot o dig for it :lol. I think that the hot water trick may fix it

Last edited:
:slap

:lecture

So let me get this straight... Hennypenny shied away from paying ten dollars for a pack-out because she felt that, on principle, it should be included in the cost of shipping as most every other retailer does - even though, given Sideshow's discounted shipping, their pack-out price brings it into line with the shipping cost of other retailers anyway.

Then Hennpenny feels like it's Sideshow's fault that her shipper box wasn't adequate in protecting the figure box from a ding - even though Sideshow's clearly laid out CS policy says otherwise.

Then, given the option of having her faulty parts replaced after destroying them IN ADDITION TO a $35 refund, complains about the part-refund she'll never use because she 'won't ever buy from them again'.

I've never encountered on this board someone who has gone out of their way to continually blame a seller for their own inability to understand the most basic processes of a transaction.

:cuckoo:
Correction: The art box was also damaged, and the $35 was instead of replacements! How dare you and who are you to judge? I paid £250 (that is almost $400) for this figure plagued with QC issue, so I am entitled to my opinions.

I'm not sure whether or not to get this as I have the Sideshow ANH Vader and can't make up my mind, just finished watching all six films and I think I'm leaning towards getting it but need some help justifying the £200.
Don't!

OSB had it for preorder at £175 plus shipping.

Glad I ordered the Ex from sideshow last night before it went wait list. Was procrastinating for a couple of days.

Correction: The art box was also damaged, and the $35 was instead of replacements! How dare you and who are you to judge? I paid £250 (that is almost $400) for this figure plagued with QC issue, so I am entitled to my opinions.

I'm confused. Why would you accept $35 credit from a company you are never buying from again instead of replacement parts so that you could sell the figure in good condition?

Also, how did you manage to pay as much as £250? It's $280 shipped from sideshow to the UK. Even with VAT and duty it shouldn't be as much as that.

Perhaps I have misunderstood something?

Then return it for a refund. Sideshow has taken figures back for refund from other customers as far away as Australia, did they not give you that option?

I don't feel there's any need to swap the body on my Vader.

Here he is with HT Luke, both standing on the same level, and both upright:

Mark Hamill was allegedly 8 1/4 inches shorter than Dave Prowse. If you take into account the height of Vader's dome and the heels on his boots I think the SS Vader looks right.

Whatever the case, I think he looks perfectly imposing as is.

Those relative heights are perfect. Luke is supposed to come up to the bottom of his vocoder or chin.

That being said HT Luke is a tad too tall. He sits at about 5'9" right out of the box where he is supposed to be about 5'7".

If you stand HT Luke next to say Tamashi 3PO they are about the same height minus the ridge on 3PO's head. That figure is in perfect scale at 5'9" just like Anthony Daniels. Luke was always shorter that 3PO so if you shorten like to correct height would also need to shorten Vader a bit to his correct height.

I haven't bitten the bullet yet on doing either mod but I may eventually.

I also think Vader looks fine on the body he comes with. I just wish it was a little shorter.

suit fits good, no problems. The suit has plenty of room for the added bulk. The mid section is a little baggy with the ttm20, the stock body has a big gut.

Nice mod bro. Some pics of the neck arms and ankles would be helpful if you can pop the gloves boots and head off for us.

Did you have to cut the length of the sleeves or pants to fit?

Oooh, showing a bit of leg!

saucyvader.jpg~original

There are several scenes where he's wearing the shortened robe(often referred to as the"combat length"robe by 501st members).Any scene that involves a lot of action has him in the short robe.It's most obvious in the saber fight on Bespin...PS

Glad you're happy with it, Pop. I was wondering if once I got it in-hand I'd want to spring for a custom cape and tunic, etc., but this reassures me that my impressions from the pics I've seen are accurate and he's good stock. Just waiting impatiently now until my last flex goes out on the 5th and he finally ships.

Back