Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you mod the cod piece? I have An extra one but found it to be to small.

I carefully removed the velcro and belt from the SS codpiece, just be careful when it comes to the belt so you do not tear it in the process. Then I removed the straps and Velcro from the HT codpiece, and took an xacto knife to the little piece that sticks out to make the back completely flat. After that I used fabric hem tape cut to size to fix the SS belt and velcro pieces to the HT codpiece. You want to either stack some books or something decently heavy to apply consistent pressure for a couple minutes to make sure it all fuses well enough. Then I used an iron on low heat with a piece of wax paper between the iron and codpiece to really fix it even though you don?t have to do that step. I just wanted to make sure it was really stuck on there. I never have luck with fabric glue making any permanent adhesion, plus it is super messy. And super glue is not flexible enough, so I go with hem tape a lot of the time. Takes a few extra steps and being extra careful if you use and iron, but tends to work out in the end.

So I finally broke down and picked up the recent re-issue of Sideshow's ROTJ Vader. Don't quite know which re-release you'd call it at this point considering that each successive video review I'd seen prior to getting the figure show some changes with each release from the packaging to some changes in the materials to how it show(s) up packed in the box.

This version was not packed well. I almost thought it might be a recycled return. The figure was just laid in the tray, cape folded and crumpled behind it, a small bit of tissue around the helmet with nothing protecting the front of the mask. There was no tab to remove on the figure's back to "activate" the batteries as we've seen with batteries pre-installed in other figures. What convinced me it most likely was not a return was how the accessories were packed...looking like they had not been removed until I opened the figure.

After getting over the decidedly poor packing job at the factory, I examined the figure and found myself appreciating some of the "upgrades" from the previous one I'd gotten. The gloves are vastly improved from the sculpt and detailing to the flexible material. The pegs fit secure and were easy enough to install (with the help of some pliers). I really like the new "belt box" ones. The pleathery material used for the undersuit fits on the figure better with the assistance of the undersuit and doesn't crease in the excessive way the original did (especially in the legs) helping a great deal with the proportions. This particular version did not feature the protruding red wires that some of the video reviews pointed out. They are actually well hidden here. Several poses can be achieved that show off the figure's good proportions and stature.

My only real issues are with the boots and the smooth soles that slip on the stand or smooth surfaces easily, The cape is a light stretchy fabric that thanks to the poor packing, features some prominent wrinkles and creases I have not had much luck in removing,

Am I glad I went for it? Yes. I know it's heresy in these parts to admit it, but I like this figure's appearance better than the last HT version I got. The light-up features are easier to operate and look really good. As I've mentioned before, I like the body proportions of this version. The HT one seems too short and squat and the way the helmet sits is awkward compared to this figure.

That's my take on it anyway...thought I'd share it. here's some shots to close out with...

THE DARK LORD.jpg

BRUTE FORCE.jpg

SWING FOR THE DARK.jpg

So I finally broke down and picked up the recent re-issue of Sideshow's ROTJ Vader. Don't quite know which re-release you'd call it at this point considering that each successive video review I'd seen prior to getting the figure show some changes with each release from the packaging to some changes in the materials to how it show(s) up packed in the box.

This version was not packed well. I almost though it might be a recycled return. The figure was just laid in the tray, cape folded and crumpled behind it, a small bit of tissue around the helmet with nothing protecting the front of the mask. There was no tab to remove on the figure's back to "activate" the batteries as we've seen with batteries pre-installed in other figures. What convinced me it most likely was not a return was how the accessories were packed...looking like they had not been removed until I opened the figure.

After getting over the decidedly poor packing job at the factory, I examined the figure and found myself appreciating some of the "upgrades" from the previous one I'd gotten. The gloves are vastly improved from the sculpt and detailing to the flexible material. The pegs fit secure and were easy enough to install (with the help of some pliers). I really like the new "belt box" ones. The pleathery material used for the undersuit fits on the figure better with the assistance of the undersuit and doesn't crease in the excessive way the original did (especially in the legs) helping a great deal with the proportions. This particular version did not feature the protruding red wires that some of the video reviews pointed out. They are actually well hidden here. Several poses can be achieved that show off the figure's good proportions and stature.

My only real issues are with the boots and the smooth soles that slip on the stand or smooth surfaces easily, The cape is a light stretchy fabric that thanks to the poor packing, features some prominent wrinkles and creases I have not had much luck in removing,

Am I glad I went for it? Yes. I know it's heresy in these parts to admit it, but I like this figure's appearance better than the last HT version I got. The light-up features are easier to operate and look really good. As I've mentioned before, I like the body proportions of this version. The HT one seems too short and squat and the way the helmet sits is awkward compared to this figure.

That's my take on it anyway...thought I'd share it. here's some shots to close out with...

View attachment 566978

View attachment 566979

View attachment 566981
Great figure better than HT.

Were there finger prints on the helmet when you opened it?

Congrats @jedibear ! I like mine better than my HT figure as well. Even before modding it. I will say this, the latest batch seems to have been hastily put together. I bought one to see if there would be any difference compared to the pre-owned one I bought on the aftermarket as the mask on my pre-owned one has a pretty obvious seam line around the neck and some issues with the chest box details/paint apps. Unfortunately, the one I got direct from SS from this newest batch had a multitude of issues: missing helmet tusk, shin guard on one leg not glued down, lightsaber rings misaligned, lightsaber blade gluded down at an angle, tears on the belt with rough wiring coming out of the batter pack, some gloves had a shinier finish while others were more matte, scratches and rough paint on the mask "cheeks" and other things here and there. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed and returned it.

Last edited:
Back