Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those relative heights are perfect. Luke is supposed to come up to the bottom of his vocoder or chin.

That being said HT Luke is a tad too tall. He sits at about 5'9" right out of the box where he is supposed to be about 5'7".

If you stand HT Luke next to say Tamashi 3PO they are about the same height minus the ridge on 3PO's head. That figure is in perfect scale at 5'9" just like Anthony Daniels. Luke was always shorter that 3PO so if you shorten like to correct height would also need to shorten Vader a bit to his correct height.

I haven't bitten the bullet yet on doing either mod but I may eventually.

I also think Vader looks fine on the body he comes with. I just wish it was a little shorter.

I was going by the first heights that popped up on Google:

Mark Hamill: 1.75m (5' 8 3/4")

Dave Prowse: 1.96m (6' 5")

But I see there's a lot more speculation about heights at different times in their lives here:

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Mark-Hamill-1059.html

American actor best known for playing Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars films. He is quoted in the late 1970's in West Coast Bureau: "I'm not so short. I'm 5-foot-8 in my heels. The director, George Lucas, is my size - I'm really playing him in the movie - and he kept putting in short jokes. I never thought of myself as short until George told the world". So it really depends on how big those heels are!

https://www.celebheights.com/s/David-Prowse-143.html

The top of the Dave Prowse page cites his peak height as 6' 6" or 198cm.

Then it reads:

British Actor best known for his role as Darth Vader in Star Wars. He said "When I played him I was 6ft 7 and 20 stone" although he also said "I'm 6-6" and in 1997 "I'm about 6ft 5 now" citing hip operations as result of losing 2 inches.

If Dave was 6' 6" without the Vader suit, and Mark was 5' 8" in his heels then the Hot Toys and the Sideshow may well be correctly scaled. (DX07 has a lot of hair on top adding the extra scale inch to 5' 9" !)

Boots and helmet dome could add 3" to Prowse = 6' 9" or 13 1/2" in 1/6.

Mark 5'9" = 11 1/2" in 1/6.

It's all speculation because men lie about their height the same as women lie about their age. :wink1:

It's all speculation because men lie about their height the same as women lie about their age. :wink1:

Exactly.

I was going by the first heights that popped up on Google:

The easiest way to scale characters to each other is to start by ignoring the numerical heights of the actors because we don't know the sizes of the costumes, including shoes, nor special production pieces like lifts, boxes, wigs, hats, etc. And that says nothing of trusting the measurements online - from what year are the measurements? Adults naturally get shorter as they age, plus in Prowse's case, skeletal-related surgeries can also affect height - again, from what year were the measurements reported?

What's left is to simply study the films, especially scenes where the characters appear together. Of course you can also go by the "official" character heights reported by SW resources, in which case Vader is 202cm tall.

I put up a bunch of Vader images in my Flickr account in a dedicated set for this purpose: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpiper/sets/72157639696900494/

It would be much easier if one of these guys robbed a bank or convenience store, then we'd have security footage in front of a ruler by the door. ;)

Last edited:
Nice mod bro. Some pics of the neck arms and ankles would be helpful if you can pop the gloves boots and head off for us.

Did you have to cut the length of the sleeves or pants to fit?

12135480444_fd20f4cfed_b.jpg

12135743296_7366f93e42_b.jpg

12135482314_e36efe4e39_b.jpg

12135745396_9e0d5415b2_b.jpg

12135349363_08fa1154d7_b.jpg

No alterations to the suit or anything from sideshow, just to the hot toys body. I wanted to retain everything so I could swap it back to the original body if desired someday. The TTM came with these little black foam spacers on the ankles, I used them too so the pegs on the feet only enter the body to the spacer. I didn't have a problem with the height, just the arms but I had plan on doing this for a while. debating lowering the dome still up in the air.

...I put up a bunch of Vader images in my Flickr account in a dedicated set for this purpose: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpiper/sets/72157639696900494/

It would be much easier if one of these guys robbed a bank or convenience store, then we'd have security footage in front of a ruler by the door. ;)
Those are some great reference pics, Pixel. Damn Vader's a cool looking character. Still not sure if the height will bug me enough in person that I'll feel the need to mod Vader, but I'll definitely be referring back to these pics if I do.

The easiest way to scale characters to each other is to start by ignoring the numerical heights of the actors because we don't know the sizes of the costumes, including shoes, nor special production pieces like lifts, boxes, wigs, hats, etc. And that says nothing of trusting the measurements online - from what year are the measurements? Adults naturally get shorter as they age, plus in Prowse's case, skeletal-related surgeries can also affect height - again, from what year were the measurements reported?

What's left is to simply study the films, especially scenes where the characters appear together. Of course you can also go by the "official" character heights reported by SW resources, in which case Vader is 202cm tall.

I put up a bunch of Vader images in my Flickr account in a dedicated set for this purpose: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpiper/sets/72157639696900494/

This one may be a good starting point:

Carrie was 5' 1" (plus heeled boots). She looks tiny against Vader.

Luke at a possible 5' 8" in his heels looks a lot taller than he should be here:

Was a sneaky box involved? Was Lucas intentionally making Luke look taller as a Jedi, in contrast to making him look smaller during the duel on Cloud City?

For those of you waiting for any sort of replacement part, I was initially quoted 7-10 business days for my new Vader head to ship out. Good news is that I just got the tracking email and it'll be here on Tuesday. I filed my claim this past Tuesday so only one week to get my replacement part. I'll finally have my mint Vader. Now I can concentrate my efforts on the TTM20 body swap.

Looks like the EX for Vader is on waitlist. Congrats to you guys who got an EX! Regular available as of now.

Looks like the EX for Vader is on waitlist. Congrats to you guys who got an EX! Regular available as of now.

You cannot use reward points for waitlist so its looks like there will be no Vader next to my emperor

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

You cannot use reward points for waitlist so its looks like there will be no Vader next to my emperor

Only the EX is on wait list. The regular one is up and should be eligible for RP. I'll sell you the severed hand and forearm for $60. ;)

What about shipping, customs, VAT and Fedex charges?

For me, effective monitoring of the routing via Internet

Delivery within 4 working days (1 day less than estimated)

Intact and unopened package by customs

FedEx invoice in the amount of € 68.90 received by mail 12 days after the parcel delivery broken down as follows:
Outlay VAT not applicable ............. € 56.00
Booking fees taxable to 20% ......... € 10.75
20% VAT ..................................... € 2.15

debating for weeks on this, finally just pre-ordered the Ex last night from Sideshow. not sure if I'll keep it but now that it's on waitlist, it sure does feel better that I have the choice

Cool. Looks like I got mine just in time. I put my order in yesterday. :)

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Wow, only just got my order done in time too. I would have been happy with the reg but it's always nice to get the EX if it's available.

Only the EX is on wait list. The regular one is up and should be eligible for RP. I'll sell you the severed hand and forearm for $60. ;)

I thought the extra head and base were part of the ex along with hand

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Back