Sideshow 1/6 Yoda Teaser

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ESB version of Yoda can not swap heads out with PT version Yoda. PT Yoda's hands and feet are not the same as ESB Yoda's. Same goes for the wardrobe. To much creative license occurred with the from scratch created CGI version of PT Yoda.

How does someone take creative license with their own creation?! :confused::lol

How does someone take creative license with their own creation?! :confused::lol

Well they didn't laserscan the original puppet to make the CGI base mesh, and they studied VHS/LD quality video scenes of the puppet from ESB. The 4k restoration treatment for the OT DVD release by Lowry Digital had not happened yet.

They made the hands and feet based on what they thought they looked like, vs what they actually did look like. The feet more so than the hands.

There's a visual guide book out there with a bottom view of AOTC Yoda's feet. That is not at all what his feet looked like in ESB.

Polymodeling back then involved pulling wires. It wasn't like the digital airbrush sculpting that is used now in programs like Zbrush and Mudbox. This limited the digital artists abilities to recreate things perfectly- since it wasn't at all like sculpting. Most of the PT digital character models originated from laser scanned sculpts.

Rather than laser scanning Stuart Freeborn's original Yoda- Which Leavesden has an excellent silicone casting of. They choose to rework the topology of a previously existing base mesh model created by Kecskemeti B. Zoltan. That put the heads style and shape into the interpretive zone.

Excellent and informative post, itsalive. It all boils down to George Lucas' call, which I consider to be to be the end of the argument. The man created what has become the most important mythology of the latter 20th century, and it baffles me why people who say that they love these characters so much, cannot accept their creator's judgment. I'm not a huge fan of Ewoks (finding them more odious than Jar Jar,) but I accept them as part of this rich tapestry.
Whatever 1/6 Yoda SS releases, I'll be glad to have it.

Well they didn't laserscan the original puppet to make the CGI base mesh, and they studied VHS/LD quality video scenes of the puppet from ESB. The 4k restoration treatment for the OT DVD release by Lowry Digital had not happened yet.

They made the hands and feet based on what they thought they looked like, vs what they actually did look like. The feet more so than the hands.

There's a visual guide book out there with a bottom view of AOTC Yoda's feet. That is not at all what his feet looked like in ESB.

Polymodeling back then involved pulling wires. It wasn't like the digital airbrush sculpting that is used now in programs like Zbrush and Mudbox. This limited the digital artists abilities to recreate things perfectly- since it wasn't at all like sculpting. Most of the PT digital character models originated from laser scanned sculpts.

Rather than laser scanning Stuart Freeborn's original Yoda- Which Leavesden has an excellent silicone casting of. They choose to rework the topology of a previously existing base mesh model created by Kecskemeti B. Zoltan. That put the heads style and shape into the interpretive zone.

just felt the need to add this.
it's important to note that Zbrush and mudbox are not yet industry standards, pushing and pulling verticies, polys, and splines are still more or less the norm, though zbrush and mudbox, and similar proprietary software are fast approaching the norm.

I am fairly certain that the comment about artistic license was meant to point out that when an entity alters their very own creation, it is not really "artistic license".

I am fairly certain that the comment about artistic license was meant to point out that when an entity alters their very own creation, it is not really "artistic license".

:lecture:lecture:lecture Lucas created it. He owns it. If he wants to modify it to fit his original vision, it's not "creative license."

What is even worse is Obi-Wan doesn't even look like the same man between ROTS and ANH! It's like they used different actors or something. How offensive!

Really, as a life long Star Wars fan, I am seriously confused by the OT elitists that go so far out of their way to tell the world what is wrong with the PT. For all those elitists, I'll let you in on a little secret: Star Wars is George Lucas' story to do with as he pleases. If you can't accept that then you need to reassess why you come to message boards to discuss "how he raped your childhood".

TPM came out over ten years ago. The PT was completed five years ago. Now more than ever, PT+OT=SW.

What is even worse is Obi-Wan doesn't even look like the same man between ROTS and ANH! It's like they used different actors or something. How offensive!

Really, as a life long Star Wars fan, I am seriously confused by the OT elitists that go so far out of their way to tell the world what is wrong with the PT. For all those elitists, I'll let you in on a little secret: Star Wars is George Lucas' story to do with as he pleases. If you can't accept that then you need to reassess why you come to message boards to discuss "how he raped your childhood".

TPM came out over ten years ago. The PT was completed five years ago. Now more than ever, PT+OT=SW.

I'd add to that given how tightly he governs the Clone Wars series and go so far as to say CW+PT+OT=SW.

At first I would have argued that, but seeing how TCW has evolved over the first season, I'd say it counts in the true cannon of SW.

...even though Yoda looks totally different again... :)

I never said I didn't like the Prequel Trilogy.

You are reading into my comments and making your own assumptions, because I said the visual representation of the character in the PT failed to replicate how he looked in the ESB. That does not mean that I think the PT films sucked.

Just because I like how Michael Myers looked in the original Halloween- It doesn't mean I have to like how he looks in the sequels that stopped using that Don Post 1975 Capt Kirk Mask as the source for the mask.

The producer Moustopha Akkad was involved with all those films. So that would mean it's his baby.

So in your view I should learn to like the Un-Myers looking Myers in the sequels after 2. So just because I happened to like the first film and how that character looked in it. I should learn to like the other films and the way the character looks because the owner of the property decided to change it.

I'm not a sheep.

Yoda meant something to me as a child. I will never accept any other version of him other than the one Stuart Freeborn and his FX team made.

That was my first introduction to him and that is what he will always look like to me. It is burned into my subconscious.

I think I would have loved the PT Yoda more if it used the source puppet to create the CGI version.

The PT Yoda is always mad looking, the face is way too symmetrical. Almost all of the toys of him have him looking ticked off. I hate that. Yoda was kind, patient, and wise in the OT. He never scowled but he could come across as stern. Aggression wasn't a part of him in these films.

Being 900 years old at his death. Shouldn't Yoda have psychically aged 1 year for every 10 he lived.

He was 865 in TPM= 86.5 years old

He was 900 in ESB= 90 years old.

That's 3.5 years difference in age. He shouldn't have looked that different if you ask me.

For me Michael Myers will always be how he looked in the original film.

Gizmo and the Grems will always be the first versions we saw in Gremlins and not the better more able ones created by Rick Baker and Co. for The New Batch.

Leatherface will always be those 3 creepy Lifemask slush castings that Bob Burns William Barnes created for 1974's Tobe Hoopers The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

That's just me though. I like the original representation of these characters. It's how I was introduced to them. They were inventive and interesting enough to leave an impression. That's how they always will be to me. It's not how you feel. I respect that.

I don't however like people baiting me into pointless arguments.

All I told you was that you couldn't swap out the head if you wanted the figure to be accurate.

You'd need a head, foot and hand swap to do it right. That wasn't a lie. Someone remarked. So I responded.

Nope. I actually want the CGI Yoda throughout. Nostalgia aside, I think he looked perfect in ROTS, and would like to see him have that much facial expression in all the films. Take into account that my two favourite characters in SW are Yoda and Anakin/Vader, so I probably think about Yoda more than most SW fans.

I look at SW in two ways. I respect the trilogy I watched when I was little. I always will, but I'm not living in SW past.

After years of wondering what happened before ANH, we know the full story, and I'm completely accepting to the Star Wars Saga. Anakin's story is far more interesting to me than Luke's, since Luke's only exists because of Anakin's.

PT+OT=SW and I won't apologize for it :)

I couldn't agree more.

The parallels between the two trilogies is uncanny. The only real difference is that we were kids for one of them and not for the prequels.

I used to like Jar Jar, but when I recently watched TPM again after not watching it for awhile, I realized he is very annoying. However I don't hate him as much as others.

I feel Jar Jar's actions are not as irritating as his voice. When I switched language to French. Even though I don't understand a thing he seems to sound much less annoying with a difference voice-over artist.:D

It's the actions for me too. He's like a cartoon character always tripping over things, knocking things down, and making a general mess of every situation. And what the hell possesed the Gungans to make him a general? I never got that even when I liked the character.

It's the actions for me too. He's like a cartoon character always tripping over things, knocking things down, and making a general mess of every situation. And what the hell possesed the Gungans to make him a general? I never got that even when I liked the character.

For me, he represented the Ewoks of the prequels.

GL really did follow the exact same story line principles in the PT that he used for the OT.

If you go back and compare the actions and acting asked of Mark Hamill it's really the same as Hayden Christensen. Just as stiff and just as whiny.

Jar Jar and the Gungans are the PT version of the Ewoks.

The only thing I wish we'd have seen more of in the PT is Darth Maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back