Sideshow 1/6 Yoda Teaser

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather pay for a two pack that to have to switch out the heads and outfits. He's not a Barbie.

The problem with CG Yoda like many other CG characters is that they lack "weight". Movements are floaty, lending to that perception that they look fake.

That's what I notice the most with CG living things, the graphics can look real, but often it is movement that gives it away. I find with unclothed CGI creations, the movements almost seem to lack a skeletal structure, almost like the body is a big piece of rubber. The skin looks real, but the motions look unlike any living creature when it moves.

Being a CGI guy, here is my take on that.
That's less the capability of the CGI, and more the requests fo the director, and the ability of the Cgi artist, the Animator, and the eventual Special effects guy.
If the director asks for the wrong thing, or the 3d artist makes the character model wrong, the animator rigs and animates incorrectly, or the special effects guy gets something wrong about the animation overlay, Any ONE of those things going wrong can ruin the result.
There is also the virtual lighting to consider.

I am good with a bare naked "mini-pro" with a Yoda portrait, and Yoda hands and feet for 125.00.

Wjich is likely what we're going to get. sideshow prices have increased since the hobbits, and if they're doing a whole new body, we can expect higher prices on yoda. I'm sensing a 90$ MINIMUM pricetag.

A big difference Yoda has with Frodo and Sam is that most customers probably have a large collection of SSC SW figures that will not be complete without Yoda.
$90 might be a lot for a four inch figure, but in the context of a SW collection missing Yoda I think folks will squawk but still bite.

A big difference Yoda has with Frodo and Sam is that most customers probably have a large collection of SSC SW figures that will not be complete without Yoda.
$90 might be a lot for a four inch figure, but in the context of a SW collection missing Yoda I think folks will squawk but still bite.

:confused: I really don't see how that's any different than Frodo's roll in LOTR. One would think that a larger collection would make key characters even less relevant than a smaller collection where characters aren't lost among the display.

SW fan base is larger than LOTR and more geared towards action figures. I don't know many SW fans that will pass on Yoda.

When it comes to SW, they would squawk if it was $8.99... but still bite...

Star Wars is a strange merchandising phenomenon, and nothing comes close to it. Having the Star Wars license is like having a license to print money. Only one or two companies failed at it over the last thirty-three years.

There are more Star Wars collectors than there are LOTR collectors. What is truly odd however, is how few Star Wars collectors there are in coastal States compared to the middle States.

For the most part, Star Wars collectors spend their money on 3 3/4" figures in stead of high end stuff. Many site they can't afford the high end stuff, but when doing the math, they usually spend more a year buying the cheap stuff than we do buying the expensive stuff.

Star Wars is a strange merchandising phenomenon, and nothing comes close to it. Having the Star Wars license is like having a license to print money. Only one or two companies failed at it over the last thirty-three years.

There are more Star Wars collectors than there are LOTR collectors. What is truly odd however, is how few Star Wars collectors there are in coastal States compared to the middle States.

For the most part, Star Wars collectors spend their money on 3 3/4" figures in stead of high end stuff. Many site they can't afford the high end stuff, but when doing the math, they usually spend more a year buying the cheap stuff than we do buying the expensive stuff.

Maybe since most of the SW collectors bought the 3 3/4 stuff when they were kids they either want to replace what they had or want to keep that collection going. Also there is 1000x more little SW stuff than LOTR so I can see that some SW collectors might shy away from some of the hight end stuff just becasue they have no money for it. :)

Thats not Yoda...thats an Ugnaught...no ears on the head..you would see yoda's ears.

I think Star Wars collectors, for the most part, put a higher value on the overall size of their collection. I think a lot of collectors are aspiring to have a collection as big as Steve's (which at this point would be impossible...) and so they consider 10 figures that look kinda like the characters are more desirable than one figure that looks much more like the character.

For me, the PF collection is my truest SW collection, and the 12" line is kinda just something really fun to collect, but in a nutshell the SSC collection has cured me of 3 3/4" collecting. I have my complete vintage collection and something like 15 modern Hasbro figures. Mind you, having been friends with Steve for years, and having been to his museum a couple of times, I can assure you I have no interest in having a jaw-droppingly huge SW collection.

Not the greatest sneak peek, but I'm pretty excited to see a Yoda 1/6 figure coming soon!

Medicom overall did a really good job with their VCD Yoda. One bad though is the figure's lack of articulation. I am sure Sideshow's wouldn't have this issue.:lol

I think Star Wars collectors, for the most part, put a higher value on the overall size of their collection. I think a lot of collectors are aspiring to have a collection as big as Steve's (which at this point would be impossible...) and so they consider 10 figures that look kinda like the characters are more desirable than one figure that looks much more like the character.

That's a good observation... SW collectors really do seem hell bent on quantity. I can think of many collections I've seen with racks of MOC figures; or entire walls decorated with them.

But that also even seems to spill into the high-end as well; where people will be completist with prop replicas (MR) or hunt down that elusive bust (GG). Don't know what its worth now, but I remember someone paying $500 for the Blackhole Stormtrooper busy :google

I DEFINATELY think Star Wars is a quantity license.

I would honestly prefer an SSC license with the 2006 quality and prices ($50-$60)so I can collect 12 figures a year vs a line ($90-100) where I debate whether its even worth it to collect the main characters. I don't think anything is wrong with that. I like lots and lots of characters. I want Greedo and Naboo guards and aliens and bounty hunters and all those characters...I just can't afford it at $100 each.

Anyway, I'm holding out hope that yoda is around $70. He doesn't have nearly as many clothing or accessories as the hobbits did. And I'll also agree, I don't want some silly DX pack where he comes with a PT head and an OT head but only 1 body. That would retarded. If I want to display them both I would have to spend 2x the money just to end up with duplicate heads that I'll never use?

I think the Thriller and Joker DX are sorta stupid but atleast you can buy loose HT bodies to make 2 displayable figures. Yoda? Not so much.

Last edited:
Yeah, but he's being released 2 (or is it 3) years later... I'm hopeful for him being unders $75; but not counting on it. Especially if he's fully articulated.

Yeah, but he's being released 2 (or is it 3) years later... I'm hopeful for him being unders $75; but not counting on it. Especially if he's fully articulated.

i agree, its a different world now. SSC kinda missed it IMO and the same will go for Chewbacca, R2, 3PO and others.

They should have released these figures when the line was selling 5,000-10,000 units of a figure. the fixed costs of tooling special bodies would have been applied over many more units. now they have to apply them to what 2000 or 3000 units?

That jacks up the prices for the relative few remaining collectors. which just makes some of them jump ship...which future releases are now lower runs, so more expensive...never ending spiral.

IMO it would be a breath of fresh air if SSC all of a sudden said "hey we are making 10,000 Yodas and we are pricing it so all those fans from 2006 and 2007 come back". Not a chance, but man that would be great.

I'm a Star Wars fan that prefers quantity over quality. I think the mindset stems from the vast array of interesting, from performance to visual, characters.

Granted they're different genres, but I'll use the Dark Knight as an example. Hot Toys made Batman in both costumes, most of the Joker's looks, Two-Face and Harvey Dent. While it would be nice to see a Bruce Wayne and Gordon in there, even if they made Fox, Alfred, and a Joker Goon or two, that's pretty much it, the majority of collectors aren't going to care about background cop #2 from scene #5.

With Star Wars, some of most background or short screen time characters become very popular because of their design alone. I became a Darth Maul fan from less than 1 minute worth of footage in a trailer and a Star Wars insider magazine cover. The design alone won me as a fan of him.

I like the Pietts and the Plo Koons and types of characters that I'm sure a number of fans could live without. I think they look interesting and it's part of why I love Star Wars, it's a visually rich universe with some really cool designs.

General Grievous was turned into a cowardly wimp in ROTS compared to the first Clone Wars series, but I still got the 1:1 bust and want a 1:6 figure because I really like the character design.

That's why I always speak up again Hot Toys solely taking over Star Wars 1/6, between their prices and their "line" style, you'd never see the background, meaningless characters from them. Some people would be happy with just the core guys done really well, but I think Sideshow's done them well enough and we get all these extra guys to have a more visually rich and diverse collection, should we want it. There was a time I'd have thought a 1/6 Jabba a dream that would never happen, not only did we get him and the throne, but we've gotten a number of the critters from his palace, an ever growing collection of characters, the wall space with Han's carbonite slab, eventually the Max Rebo band. I think the Jabba setup from Sideshow is one of the best things to come from them having the license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back