Sideshow 1/6 ROTLA Indiana Jones Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note in the second picture the AMSEL poster is upside down. It must be part of the accessories tray and they must have flipped it when putting the tray back.

Incidentally, I never liked that version of the poster. It was first used in the re-release in 1982. I have always thought the first poster (also by Amsel) captured the feel of the movie better and that the second poster made Indy way too happy! Weee! It's a free-wheelin' fun-lovin' adventure for the whole family! Look how much fun Indy's having waving his whip around! Yipee! I know they were trying to capitalize on what a "fun" ride Indy was, but the movie was fun because of the exciting stunts and story, where you felt real thrills because of all the close escapes from dangerous situations, not because it was a light-hearted romp through Cairo!

I can't let that comment go without giving my "two cents" about it. I've collected official movie posters for over 30 years. The artist of both Raiders Of The Lost Ark posters was a gifted and very talented artist, Richard Amsel. Sadly, he died at a young age due to HIV in his 40s. I LOVE both of his posters, and have both of them in my collection. The second poster for the re-release of Raiders in 1982 is an incredible collage of the main characters and does have Indy with a smile on his face while holding the bullwhip. Okay. So what? :confused:

ROTLA1982rereleaseartbyRichardAmsel.jpg

As we all know Indy is a wise-cracking, fun guy, with a great sense of humor. That's one of the things we all love about this character. He's not a cardboard hero/character. He has a colorful demeanor. Raiders was exciting, breath-taking, and one of the best movies ever made. :D Richard Amsel's stunning art on this poster conveyed or showed that excitement...and yeah, I'm gonna say it again...."FUN" of the adventure of Indiana Jones. Yeah, the movies all have their serious moments, and sometimes dark tone (Temple Of Doom), but they all have elements of fun, light-hearted humor, and adventure in them. How you can get the thought of "a light-hearted romp through Cairo" just from Indy...smiling...:confused: I have no idea!

Richard Amsel's first poster for the original release showing Indy with a serious look on his face holding the whip coiled over one shoulder is CLASSIC.

ROTLAoriginal1981posterRichardAmsel.jpg

It is very different than the 1982 re-release poster. By then, in 1982 most people had seen Raiders in 1981, and knew what the movie was about. So, having Indy smiling in that poster, to me, at least is NO BIG DEAL. :D

Last edited:
I'm sure it can be done, just some body proportions will be different.

Yeah, I was so stoked looking at the original pics you posted, then got to the shoes and was like, wait, WTF? Then came the revelation that it was a mod. So hopefully someone will try to mimic them with the original body.

Wasn't Amsels last poster Star Trek 2? I love almost all of the Indy posters. Some of the foreign posters are a trip.

I do have one question that maybe one of you will know. Will we be able to move the bag strap buckle up to the proper place in the middle of Indy's chest, or will it be stuck in place towards the bottom of the bag?

I would like to point out the major difference in the color of the holster on the figure and the correct color of the holster on the re-release poster. Quite a bit of difference there.

Wasn't Amsels last poster Star Trek 2? I love almost all of the Indy posters. Some of the foreign posters are a trip.

I do have one question that maybe one of you will know. Will we be able to move the bag strap buckle up to the proper place in the middle of Indy's chest, or will it be stuck in place towards the bottom of the bag?

I would like to point out the major difference in the color of the holster on the figure and the correct color of the holster on the re-release poster. Quite a bit of difference there.

Specific (and tough to answer) questions until we get him in hand.
Please remember this section

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

once you get him as your eye for detail would make for a good review (especially for those collectors who are looking for an as near as perfect ROTLA as possible).

Thanks guys. I'll keep that section in mind and although my inital reaction may have ben harsh to some, I'm still looking very forward to getting this figure as well as my Belloq special edition. That idol pedestal is awesome.

I can't let that comment go without giving my "two cents" about it. I've collected official movie posters for over 30 years. The artist of both Raiders Of The Lost Ark posters was a gifted and very talented artist, Richard Amsel. Sadly, he died at a young age due to HIV in his 40s. I LOVE both of his posters, and have both of them in my collection. The second poster for the re-release of Raiders in 1982 is an incredible collage of the main characters and does have Indy with a smile on his face while holding the bullwhip. Okay. So what? :confused:

ROTLA1982rereleaseartbyRichardAmsel.jpg

As we all know Indy is a wise-cracking, fun guy, with a great sense of humor. That's one of the things we all love about this character. He's not a cardboard hero/character. He has a colorful demeanor. Raiders was exciting, breath-taking, and one of the best movies ever made. :D Richard Amsel's stunning art on this poster conveyed or showed that excitement...and yeah, I'm gonna say it again...."FUN" of the adventure of Indiana Jones. Yeah, the movies all have their serious moments, and sometimes dark tone (Temple Of Doom), but they all have elements of fun, light-hearted humor, and adventure in them. How you can get the thought of "a light-hearted romp through Cairo" just from Indy...smiling...:confused: I have no idea!

Richard Amsel's first poster for the original release showing Indy with a serious look on his face holding the whip coiled over one shoulder is CLASSIC.

ROTLAoriginal1981posterRichardAmsel.jpg

It is very different than the 1982 re-release poster. By then, in 1982 most people had seen Raiders in 1981, and knew what the movie was about. So, having Indy smiling in that poster, to me, at least is NO BIG DEAL. :D

:D Yep, I remember it vividly! Even at 9 years old when the new poster came out, and I was just as excited to see it again for the re-release, I felt the poster didn't feel in keeping with the tone of the movie! I just always saw Indy with that focused, determined scowl. Sure, Indy would crack a joke here and there in the face of danger ("Why doncha come down here and I'll show ya!"), but I always remember him primarily with his intense glare. Just like in the original poster.

I also have the first poster (one of the very few I have), but refuse to acknowledge the existence of poster #2, which has also become the preferred art for the movie. Another reason I resent it! :wacky

Now, I'm not taking anything away from Mr. Amsel, whose work, as a fellow artist, I also admire immensely. No, I blame those advertising mongrels who saw an opportunity to play up a small angle and try and spin the ad campaign to get more people to watch the movie. Just like how Terminator 2: Judgement Day, got changed to "T2"--a deliberate move from the advertisers to make the movie seem less scary.

This little debate is all in good fun, I hope you know. And it was nice of you to find the images so the others could see what we were talking about. I'm not going to refuse to buy the doll because of the poster, or even print out my own preferred poster to place in the box. I certainly don't want to repeat what we had to endure for 3 or 4 pages talking about zippers ;) I just thought I'd share a bit. :)

Man this figure looks kick ass. Cannot begin to say how much I'm looking forward to having him. Its Indiana Jones and it looks like its from Radiers to me. The rest isn't my issue.

Man this figure looks kick ass. Cannot begin to say how much I'm looking forward to having him. Its Indiana Jones and it looks like its from Radiers to me. The rest isn't my issue.

Yep, after all the BS, this is all I want to see in my hands next week...

INDIANA-LOST-ARC-2.jpg

Actually, I want to see THREE of those in my home next week... with one of them including the torch & dart. :rock

Actually, I want to see THREE of those in my home next week... with one of them including the torch & dart. :rock

Yeah, I forgot to mention the torch and dart... and I would also like to see the accessory tray Artwork backing right side up. :lol

The torch will be cool with the Renee idol Environment...

I think he looks awesome, although the true test will be when I get him in hand. I personally don't care about minor inaccuracies, but I understand that some do (and when they don't seem to be made for any particular reason, I can see how it would be particularly frustrating).

I just got an email that said "There will be a delay on the shipment"
Just kidding......

Anywhoo, It looks great!

Back