Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine today, GREAT JOB SS, love the light up feature, wish it made the r2 sound as well. That would have been just the absolute best. It does seem a tad bit oversized but meh, it's still great. No issues I noticed unboxing so far.

Sure you unbox it, but then you box it back up and ship it back to me - how do I even know you unboxed it at all?
I was gonna take bathtub pix, rubber ducky style....

man_in_bathtub_with_rubber_duck_portrait_MAEF00841.jpg

2172-r2-d2-deluxe-001.jpg

I like to know if those that got theirs have R2's probe tool light up as in Sideshow's?

Just opened up my Artoo, and was a little bummed at some of the paint app issues along the ring around his body.

They're only minor marks, but due to their location facing near the front and position on the silver, it makes them very obvious. Since this is really the only Artoo figure I'll ever need, I think I might ask Sideshow if they can give me a replacement.

It's a shame they marks are on that ring since it doesnt seem to be easily removeable.

R2 arrived yesterday & he took about 10 seconds to pose, like others have mentioned he isn't exactly a dynamic character, he only has seven points of articulation after all (not including his overload of hatches & projectors). Pretty cool how SS gave you every scene specific option. I can't see myself using any of that stuff though.

Really happy with him, looks great next to 3PO. I don't mind the slight mismatch in weathering with the Tamma, R2 was always doing all the work while 3PO stood there just waving his arms and moaning all the time any way. Figures he would get dirty while the other guy stays showroom shiny. :lol

The only other SW figure I'm even contemplating is Chewie, he was always my favorite character. I feel the figures I need in my StarWars collection is very close to completion. Well done SS.

Good evening everyone, I was lucky enough to take some photo's of the Sideshow Deluxe One Sixth Scale R2D2 figure this afternoon. Just thought I would share them with you all, hope you like them. This isn't my figure but it sure was a sweet figure, lots of accessories. I haven't posted all the photo's on here because there is 30 of them and I don't want to bombard people with lots of photos, I provided a link to where I have these hosted for any of you who wish to view the whole set.

Sideshow R2D2 Deluxe Sixth Scale - Imgur

O6WOQ0n.jpg
ipuQDCO.jpg
1JIfIYk.jpg
rUx27Ui.jpg
4A8IULF.jpg
Bof5uUH.jpg

Just be careful with the 91% alcohol it comes off easily. I think your idea is cool just try using 70%, that might work better.
The dome looks so much better, to me anyways.

Lopie can you post a pic of the R2 fully cleaned I just ordered another to have it clean. any other paints come off while cleaning up?
Thank you in advance for reply

I got my R2 yesterday. The light up function seems to have some sort of delay on it after I turn it on, is that normal??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice pictures, thanks for posting them! Didn't realize how filthy R2 was until the before and after. No luck taking the silver paint off the blue?
No, it wont come off. I wont mess with it though, the blue paint might rub off with the silver. I wont risk it.

That looks great Lopie! Do you think it looks better clean or weathered? Also, does the weathering wipe off easily or did you have to buff it off?
I like both clean and dirty. I'm ordering another R2, one to display with my 3PO and one for Jabba. As for the weathering it comes off easy, I tried it out on the bottom of the R2 where the wheels are. I dabbed some alcohol on my finder, and I swiped the weathering right off. In the hard to reach areas I used a small paint brush.

Wow! Fantastic work, Lopie.

The major thing that stands out to me when displaying R2 with my Tama 3PO is how dirty R2, I may do this cleaning job and cancel my Sideshow 3PO.
That's why I wanted a clean R2, Looks a lot better when displaying them together.

Is Lopie's de-weathering technique "risk free"? I'm just wondering how it can take off the weathering paint but not the blue or silver paint.
It's safe but make sure you use the stuff I got; it's a Wal-Mart brand. It wont mess up the blue or silver paint.

1.jpg
Great work, looks so much better imo. Sorry if I missed a post, how'd you do it? Just 91% isopropyl and a q-tip?
I'm thinking the same... I can't really justify the spend on a second 3PO and I'd like the droids to match up a bit better than they currently do.
For the larger areas I used a white wash cloth, and for the hard to reach areas I used a paint brush.

Lopie can you post a pic of the R2 fully cleaned I just ordered another to have it clean. any other paints come off while cleaning up?
Thank you in advance for reply
Yes, I'll post some more pics tonight. And no damage was done to any of the white, silver, or blue paint. Only the weathering came off.

Last edited:
Very cool... shipping... tracking shows that it will arrive in Chicago by Wednesday of next week. I need to get the new shelves up in my new home computer room/office before that.

Thank you for shopping at SideshowCollectibles.com! We are happy to inform you that your order(s) have been charged and shipped! You will receive tracking information via a separate e-mail, however, your final invoice appears below.

Artoo arrived about an hour and a half ago.

He's a lovely little figure that looks great on display. Couldn't really ask for more visually. I don't even notice the seams.

All the doors and panels fit flush, though you sometimes have to fiddle with the life form sensor hatch to get it level.

The only annoyances are the life form sensor and periscope. The former won't stay up unless propped on top of the raised panel, and the latter doesn't want to stay up for long. No doubt these could be fixed by wedging a piece of foam down in the recess.

Scale looks good with the Tamashii:

15836931763_4e7cb0a1d3_o.jpg

16455255641_b2a54e7765_o.jpg

16455253481_b78a49e747_o.jpg

16457004925_5775d0144b_o.jpg

I wish I'd kept more of those little hologram figures that came with the 3 3/4" figures, as they light up nicely!

15837019423_3af31f39f0_o.jpg

Everything on mine looks good, only nit so far I noticed a small chip on the corner of one of the body compartments (very small, but still there)...

...mine has a small chip on the long left hand hatch as you look at R2 in the bottom right hand corner. It's not that bad, but now I've seen it, I can't 'unsee' it so it were :-( Wonder if it's worth contacting Sideshow to see if they can send me a replacement door?
View attachment 164048

I have a tiny chip as well, in the top right corner of the smallest compartment:

16455686601_bb237bb7a1_o.jpg

It's small, but as cdm79 wrote, once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

Back