Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R2

Attachments

• IMG20220508122409.jpg
    IMG20220508122409.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 44
Well, I got my replacement R2 today and WOW! what a downgrade from the one I sent back in pretty much every way possible. Crooked and warped panel edges on EVERY panel. Nothing stays in place firmly like my other one. Some left over plastic on some panel edges from improper casting cleanup I assume. Paint took a HUGE nosedive as the muddy type weathering has a hard line stop instead of the gradual transition from heavy weathering to lighter weathering. Lots of blue overspray on the legs. Lastly, one leg is loose b/c the rubber tube is broken and warped inside so there's no friction on the connection anymore.

I was really impressed with the first one I got other than the issues with the main "eye" and lights not lighting properly but man this "replacement" is BAD. It's going back ASAP. I haven't been this disappointed with an SS product in a very long time if ever, but I guess it was finally time for me to get a bad SS reissue.

Last edited:
Seems there's a broad spectrum re: QC - some got examples where dome seam was minimal, paint app was decent and doors sufficiently tight. Mine had a very prominent seam, to the point where it needs sanding to be displayable. But SS deemed it a 'common example' so no return or refund :rolleyes:

I originally asked for a replacement but changed my mind to a refund
That’s what I decided to do this time around. Wasn’t going to go through this for a third time. The HT one might be $100 more but I’m guessing/hoping it won’t have these kinds of issues

Got mine delivered from ssc yesterday and I’m pretty disappointed with it. Few issues with the top opening flaps. One didn’t open at all it just clicks down and sticks there. The middle wheel leg is a pain to click up and make it come down. When it is down it doesn’t go back up without forcing it. It’s not a smooth slot. One of the long front panels doesn’t close flush and sticks out like one on top of his head. I’ve sent pics and info to ssc so I’m waiting to hear back. I do want an r2 in my collection but feel with this one it’s a bit flimsy and flawed.

Oh and the lights don’t work properly. Got it to come on. One tap on then the two and three taps done nothing. Ended up trying to take the head off to switch off at the power. Instructions said align the lines. I couldn’t see any anywhere to line up but got lucky and got it apart. Bit of a mess really.
Your issues are not isolated. I bought mine used a couple of years ago and it has most of those issues, the leg, the flaps etc. It was a decent price though so I never bothered to try and return it.

Hi all,

Has anyone done customs on the Sideshow R2 that have taken them apart? I have a few extras and would like to do some customs.

Thanks

John

Heh-well, I saw this on sale for a little over $100 at Alter Ego and couldn’t help myself to try one more time and yup, shame on me for thinking this time would be any different :LOL:

The panel for the lifeform scanner is completely missing, the panel for Luke’s lightsaber was already recessed inside of the dome in the package and won’t budge at all to retract into its proper position, the spring to pop up the sensorscope was loose inside the body and one of the doors won’t click into the hinge so it just falls right off. Not to mention a nickel sized hole in the plastic tray somehow.

This is just laughably bad. It’s my 4th time with one of these and about to be 5th. I still have the original exclusive and this would technically be my third time with this newer version (1: purchased new version, 2: replaced and returned, 3: purchased again but about to be replaced). I don’t think I’m even mad just shocked that something with all these issues passed QC :lol :slap Thankfully Alter Ego is going to get me a replacement.

Last edited:
Back