Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a battery test last night. Turned him on around 8PM and let him go. By 12am he was still going strong but was dead in the water in the morning (8AM). I'll see if I can replace the LR44 batts with a Li-ion for a bit more longevity. I won't hard wire this guy into my shelves since he is on the top shelf in the back behind other figs and given the somewhat awkward activation... We'll see.

I replaced the LR44 batts in my cantina table with a rechargeable 3.7V Li-ion and it lasts for almost a week straight now.

Shizballz! Lopie's medthod is fantastic. It's insanley easy, took about 20 minutes, the wethering wipes off like a finger print off glass. Super easy, takes a minimal amount of alcohol.

The best thing its does, its removes the brown weather from the "body" uncovering the white R2 is known for, but leaves behind a much more natural looking weathering. He actually looks white and dirty, not just coated in a fine brownish blotchy layer of paint.

Looks like this:
attachment.php

Thanks, Lopie :)

I'd love an R2 with blue paint like that, very seventies.

As for a dirtied up R2 I'd also love a Dagobah R2.

That's pretty normal by the sounds of it.

The magnets are really only there to assist with opening, not to keep them closed.

I haven't got that problem on mine. Maybe the parts just need to be pressed harder together? Or maybe use a bit of tacky glue or Blu-tack to create a bit more friction?

Wait, really? I really thought everyone was going to chime in and say that their drink tray keeps separating into chunks and looking bent up when on R2. Is it really just mine?

Yeah, I want to use his method but just wipe in the center of the panels and leave the dirt in the corners where it would naturally collect. I think it will look great.

Post a pic, damn you.

I thought I was gonna end up with a pristine R2, what I ended up finding is there is a much more natural weathering under that coat of muck Sideshow layered on top. He's actually white now, and much more evenly weathered. Still doesn't match up to the show room floor tama 3PO, but by accident I got a much better looking R2. Are you can control the amount of grime you want to remove, so you can get a little more in some spots and clean up other spots so he not so uniformly covered.

Not sure if these picture really illustrate it.

Just opened R2. Ill echo most of what people already said. But, mine have dings and scratches all along the dome and "neck". *sigh* Anyway, a short review and pics will be coming up soon.

I thought I was gonna end up with a pristine R2, what I ended up finding is there is a much more natural weathering under that coat of muck Sideshow layered on top. He's actually white now, and much more evenly weathered. Still doesn't match up to the show room floor tama 3PO, but by accident I got a much better looking R2. Are you can control the amount of grime you want to remove, so you can get a little more in some spots and clean up other spots so he not so uniformly covered.

NICE! Did you clean the dome completely? I'm not sure if I want that clean. I kind of like the way my dome looks in hand. :)) sound funny)

I definitely want to make the dirt inconsistent and dirtier near the bottom where he's kicking up dust. Did you use the 91% soultion as prescribed by Lopie?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to King Darkness again.

I tried. :lol
Thanks for trying :lol
NICE! Did you clean the dome completely? I'm not sure if I want that clean. I kind of like the way my dome looks in hand. :)) sound funny)

I definitely want to make the dirt inconsistent and dirtier near the bottom where he's kicking up dust. Did you use the 91% soultion as prescribed by Lopie?

Yeah, I used the same one Lopie posted a picture of, and yeah I cleaned to the completely. I may go back and add some of my own weathering to the dome.

He looks more weathered and less like he spent the last 30 years in a smokers home.

Just opened up R2. Man is he incredibly light. He almost feels cheap. The head was a ***** to try and figure out how to get off. I'm not sure how the light saber fits in that actual compartment, as I tried to follow instructions but was fearful of breaking something. Overall, he looks really solid, and the light up feature is quite cool. Looks absolutely fantastic with hot toys Luke

I gotta say R2 looks great with the factory weathering taken off! Great job King and Lopie!

I'm not sure I'll grow a pair big enough to do it, but kudos to you guys!

Yeah, I used the same one Lopie posted a picture of, and yeah I cleaned to the completely. I may go back and add some of my own weathering to the dome.

He looks more weathered and less like he spent the last 30 years in a smokers home.

I'll have to buy that stuff then. Is the silver on the dome really shiny? Maybe since you cleaned it, you might try and use that metallic pen to see if you can get an even more shiny dome before you dirty it.

Pics look good by the way. Eager to try this myself. Well, eager and nervous.

you might try and use that metallic pen to see if you can get an even more shiny dome before you dirty it.

I'm willing to look at the photos if someone else does it. ;) But I don't think an even metallic finish is likely without spray application. Application with a big brush and a spinning dome might also be cool - in both cases all the lenses and blue details would have to be masked very well.

I'm willing to look at the photos if someone else does it. ;) But I don't think an even metallic finish is likely without spray application. Application with a big brush and a spinning dome might also be cool - in both cases all the lenses and blue details would have to be masked very well.

Yeah, I would be too nervous to try and mask everything off. I was thinking of those silver pens we all used to make the Alien's teeth metallic. I have a gold and silver one and they're awesome. not sure they work on a large surface. Might not look much better than what SS did, so it could be a big waste of time.

Maybe Hot Toys will get the weathering right. :lol

Overall I'm quite pleased with this guy the way he is. Too bad 3PO is so far off.

Do WG, its ridiculously easy. There's nothing to worry about.

And no, I won't be attempting anything extra to the dome aside from some possible weathering. Its plenty shinny once you remove the weathering.

So R2 is banged up right from the start, lands and is still banged up except now his front projector is silver and not black. Gets captured by the Jawas, still banged up. Sandcrawler stops at the farm, doors open, still banged up. Gets out and lines up... Woah, all fixed. Projector black and silver.

Love the continuity. They must have had a metric f-ton of R2 parts they constantly swapped in and out.

How come no one has mentioned that Sideshow's R2 has a seriously sunken large eye? The blue surround also sticks out from his dome only about 50% of what is should.

hau0g.jpg

There a number of R2 props, there are differences between the rc props and the keeny baker props.

Back