Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you guys find some of these things? I would never see that. It would loo like dirt to me. Watch the movie, especially the opening of ANH... R2 is banged up and bent everywhere. It's awesome.

:lol

Reaches to put Harmy's 2.5 into the Blu-ray player...

...you were right. The real Artoo's panels don't fit flush, and some of the edges are uneven!

Now that's what I want! The more 'slender' SS Threepio makes their R2 have the girth everyone says is missing. I think the Tama 3PO is too wide.

Agreed... I really do prefer the look of Sideshow's C-3PO. The Tamashii is incredible, but is a touch large and more robust than he should be. Probably a factor of using die cast... but he sure has a great heft.

Incredible work Lopie, it's like you've created a new figure :lol And I'm sure Sideshow will release a clean version at some point and maybe a color variant.

I have a tiny chip as well, in the top right corner of the smallest compartment:

It's small, but as cdm79 wrote, once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

Yep, that's the exact spot on mine... on display it's really only noticeable from close up and straight-on, but a bit bothersome.

I got my R2 yesterday. The light up function seems to have some sort of delay on it after I turn it on, is that normal??
k

That is consistent with mine.

I'm very happy with R2. Side legs feel very solid and hold position unlike the wobbly Hasbro it's replacing on my shelf. Lights are fantastic. All of the doors and arms are perfect fits. The two long vertical doors are the only two that fall open if I tilt the figure.

The dome seams are barely visible unless you're a complete OCD. The only people who will not like this are the Hot Toys only crowd.

I hope they do a black Death Star version.

Look how messed up R2 is in his first ever scene...

r2 ref.jpg

Dented front panel, dirty, bent doors, dinged projector lamp -- guy was a mess. Just take it as part of his look. Be glad you didn't get an R2 that looked like the one above.

Yep, that's the exact spot on mine... on display it's really only noticeable from close up and straight-on, but a bit bothersome.

On mine it's not so noticeable straight on, but if you turn Artoo slightly to one side it appears. Because it's an angled chip it shows the reflective silver paint that would normally only be seen with the door open.

I guess I'm lucky that that's the only damage.

Look how messed up R2 is in his first ever scene...

View attachment 164294

Dented front panel, dirty, bent doors, dinged projector lamp -- guy was a mess. Just take it as part of his look. Be glad you didn't get an R2 that looked like the one above.

Yep, that's where I paused it too!

Lower down than in that still, on his left hand side, the bottom of the panel beside his vents looks like it has a chip out of it as well.

So R2 is banged up right from the start, lands and is still banged up except now his front projector is silver and not black. Gets captured by the Jawas, still banged up. Sandcrawler stops at the farm, doors open, still banged up. Gets out and lines up... Woah, all fixed. Projector black and silver.

Love the continuity. They must have had a metric f-ton of R2 parts they constantly swapped in and out.

How come no one has mentioned that Sideshow's R2 has a seriously sunken large eye? The blue surround also sticks out from his dome only about 50% of what is should.

hau0g.jpg

Last edited:
So R2 is banged up right from the start, lands and is still banged up except now his front projector is silver and not black. Gets captured by the Jawas, still banged up. Sandcrawler stops at the farm, doors open, still banged up. Gets out and lines up... Woah, all fixed. Projector black and silver.

Love the continuity. They must have had a metric f-ton of R2 parts they constantly swapped in and out.

The continuity in Star Wars is all over the place. Lucas didn't seem to care as long as he got the shot he wanted.

Chewie's bandolier and Han's gloves appear and disappear as if by magic in the Falcon, and Seethree's oil stain switches sides as Lucas flips shots willy nilly!

The damage on R2 seems like a very deliberate decision. Are we missing a scene where the Jawas repair him? We'll never know. In fixing stuff, instead Lucas spent time making Greedo shoot first.

Agreed... I really do prefer the look of Sideshow's C-3PO. The Tamashii is incredible, but is a touch large and more robust than he should be. Probably a factor of using die cast... but he sure has a great heft.

Yeah same here. And while it may not have been their intention, I also like how the Sideshow paintjob kinda gives him more of that dirtier, scuffed up look he has through most of the movies. As awesome as it is otherwise, the Tamashii is just way too shiny and polished for my taste.

I haven't opened my R2 shipping box yet but I'm a little bummed that I payed $168 for a figure that I feel is "necessary" but not one that I'm incredibly excited about. Hopefully he'll blow me away when I take him out and set him up.

mine doesn't look the same as the others.......:dunno

View attachment 164091

:gah:

the end of the world of course........:panic::panic::panic:

nah, I contacted ssc and hopefully they just send a replacement. I think I could fix it if I set my mind to it but I would rather not. does anyone know if light comes out of that part? it doesn't have a wire to it that I can see but does have a place on the bottom that looks as if it could.

and the projector is loose inside the dome.

You can fix that!

163DAA35-68D9-4CDF-A51C-E03A97CA3539.jpg

6539245D-B858-4880-A95E-5BDEE2DE7931.jpg

AF2578D5-E512-453D-841C-B184BF9C0CF9.jpg

150D87CF-7644-4757-B17D-CD7E4B9C5054.jpg

Got my R2 and LOVE him, but I have a couple quality concerns. First, the panels on him are constantly flopping open and closed, regardless of having the magnet nearby. Is that normal? Isn't the point of the magnets to keep them closed when you pick him up?

Second, his drink tray feels SUPER cheap and keep bending and separating into chunks when I move it. Are they all like this, or is mine defective?

Got my R2 and LOVE him, but I have a couple quality concerns. First, the panels on him are constantly flopping open and closed, regardless of having the magnet nearby. Is that normal? Isn't the point of the magnets to keep them closed when you pick him up?

That's pretty normal by the sounds of it.

The magnets are really only there to assist with opening, not to keep them closed.

MaxGoof said:
Second, his drink tray feels SUPER cheap and keep bending and separating into chunks when I move it. Are they all like this, or is mine defective?

I haven't got that problem on mine. Maybe the parts just need to be pressed harder together? Or maybe use a bit of tacky glue or Blu-tack to create a bit more friction?

Shizballz! Lopie's medthod is fantastic. It's insanley easy, took about 20 minutes, the wethering wipes off like a finger print off glass. Super easy, takes a minimal amount of alcohol.

The best thing its does, its removes the brown weather from the "body" uncovering the white R2 is known for, but leaves behind a much more natural looking weathering. He actually looks white and dirty, not just coated in a fine brownish blotchy layer of paint.

Looks like this:
attachment.php

Thanks, Lopie :)

Be curious to see if anyone does a better weathering job on this. I mean I can't be the only one who likes seeing him all dirtied up, can I? That's kind of the defining aesthetic of SW after all.

Shizballz! Lopie's medthod is fantastic. It's insanley easy, took about 20 minutes, the wethering wipes off like a finger print off glass. Super easy, takes a minimal amount of alcohol.

The best thing its does, its removes the brown weather from the "body" uncovering the white R2 is known for, but leaves behind a much more natural looking weathering. He actually looks white and dirty, not just coated in a fine brownish blotchy layer of paint.

Yeah, I want to use his method but just wipe in the center of the panels and leave the dirt in the corners where it would naturally collect. I think it will look great.

Post a pic, damn you.

Yes, sorry I was responding to issues people were having about the scanner and para scope not staying up......I figured out mine and made a really fast...poor quality utube video about it....

Hopefully it's helpful to some.....

Working with R2s hatches - YouTube

Great video. Very informative. All I could hear in my head was "SNAP!" the entire time you were demonstrating the features. I even got the nervous sweats watching. :lol

Back