Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of quick crappy pics of my R2...

R2_zpspg6ypyco.jpg

:clap

Waiting for Jawa to shoot.....​

All the studios have rigorous requirements that factories making licensed products must meet. Disney is one of the toughest. I'd imagine Lucasfilm was equally so. Another reason licensed product is more expensive than bootlegs.

Good to know, thanks for the insight :duff

Got this today. Not bad, but not great. Those loose compartment doors are annoying. I would pass out if I got a perfect figure from SSC. Everything else is fine. Feels cheap. My SSC Star Wars days are almost over. Going more with HT's now.

Not seeing it discussed, but I talked with a friend, and his had the same issue. Anyone else have slight problems with the lighting? Have to switch it off and back on sometimes to get it to light up. Seems to have a delay or something.

Still, this little guy is amazing!!

Alas, my R2D2 has some issues. The ring that the dome fits into is scuffed up. Here's a photo of the worst of it, but there are other little scuffs and chips around the ring, and just the ring. The rest of the body is fine:

ring_scuffing.jpg

And, while I love the light up feature, moving the dome will cause it to short out and in, and the little flashlight/projector thing doesn't always come back on with the other lights. :(

Seeing as those scuffs are pretty close to that round hole, I can only imagine they were made by C-3PO.

Had this out of the box for about 45 min and have to agree with what lots of others have already stated. Looks very nice for the most part, scale seems right, and is pretty nicely detailed. Lights are more fun than I thought they would be and all the accessories are a nice inclusion if that is your thing. However the doors and panels are loose and flimsy. It does not feel substantial when you pick it up. But the most annoying thing to me is still the glob of silver paint on his eye, WHY is it there? All things considered I am happy with R2. Now I just wish SS would come back to earth and drop the X Wing Luke price $60 so that I could buy it and not feel dirty.

And, while I love the light up feature, moving the dome will cause it to short out and in, and the little flashlight/projector thing doesn't always come back on with the other lights. :(

Avenger

Your finger is probably hitting the on/off touch sensor for the lights as you are moving the dome. It may not be a short.

Avenger

Your finger is probably hitting the on/off touch sensor for the lights as you are moving the dome. It may not be a short.

You're absolutely right. I just found a post a few pages back talking about this same thing. A touch feature to turn the lights on and off is brilliant, if not easily found in the instructions. :)

Thanks qbomb71 for the heads up. I'm sure SSC will correct me too, as I've already sent my issues to them.

I think this is the best light-up feature set I've seen on a figure. Love that about this one. I might even keep batteries in it for a while. Just to be sure, the projector on the top of the dome and on the back of the dome don't light up, correct?

Last edited:
This via Deathstalker on Twitter...

SS Twitter R2+3PO 2-5-15.jpg

Now that's what I want! The more 'slender' SS Threepio makes their R2 have the girth everyone says is missing. I think the Tama 3PO is too wide.

Last edited:
All about the Flaps. It is even looser than the videos shows and very little moment and the things flings open. Can anyone tell me if the periscope is meant to fly open like that or lock into place?

See my video back on page 370 re the parascopes

Fight-Fight! That's funny. That dirty ol' Gonk.

But I really just want to see your CLEAN R2...

Here are a few more shots of the difference without the weathering. The above pics are the Clean R2, it;s hard to tell with pics but in person its very noticeable difference. I definitely will get another R2 for my Jabba display.

100_2927.JPG1.jpg
100_2929.JPG2.jpg
100_2931.JPG3.jpg

It's interesting -- almost makes me want to wipe some of the grime off but leave it collected in all the corners.
Just be careful with the 91% alcohol it comes off easily. I think your idea is cool just try using 70%, that might work better.
The dome looks so much better, to me anyways.

Very nice pictures, thanks for posting them! Didn't realize how filthy R2 was until the before and after. No luck taking the silver paint off the blue?

Back