Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new RPF message from a Probe Droid expert:

moffeaton said:

Ye, I painted it for Sideshow and it is indeed based on the 1:1 prop. You can really tell on the underside details - they did a very good job, and the coolest thing? All the little turret eyes articulate!! You have GOT to buy one when they become available. It's a killer bit of engineering - the whole thing is articulated to hell and back!

Looks underscale to me too. Is it meant to be displayed in the "distance"?
Hmmm, looks good to me (jkno's quote references the underside of the Probot, not that it's underscale). According to the guy who painted it (moffeaton), it's overscale, if anything. Another poster mentions that the SSC rep he spoke to at SDCC advised the release was not a sure thing and that they'd wait to gauge interest, so guess I'll be sending them an e.mail.

Not a sure thing? That's too bad. I think they could make a killing with this provided the price is right. If they can keep it at around $150 (of course cheaper would be even better), then I think most of here would jump all over it. It would also depend on when it drops. If it ends up coming out at the same time as a bunch of other stuff, of course it's going to get the ax on many people's lists.

Man, I hope it gets released... the more I think about it the more I want's it. Hopefully it's treated like a regular release figure and comes in around IG-88 prices.

Yeah, definitely in the same boat. Generally I don't bother e.mailing companies in regards to stuff like this, but as mentioned on the RPF forum, the Probot's a nice bit of SF/Fantasy design; iconic even outside of Star Wars. Sent them an e.mail to express support (under Product Suggestion). Hope anyone that really wants to see this made will also bug SSC, as well. :pray:

Kind of a bummer as I was hoping we'd see this go up for pre-order, soonish. :(

If they're on the fence about this, I'd wholeheartedly recommend writing to them pledging your support for the release. While we all think the figure is very cool, I can't imagine it selling as well as their typical releases, which for the most part are already significantly limited in quantity. With all the moulds necessary to create this, it could also be a significant investment, one they might not be able to monetize to their typical levels. It's a big juggling act with the pricing and edition size - a risky proposition for them, IMO.

This really needs to be released, this is not like a character having just one single second on screen. You can even say it is iconic to ESB's Hoth scenes and its specific sound and cool design are still amazing today.

I'd have to agree with you jkno... the Probe Droid is one of the real stand-outs of Hoth. If it doesn't make the sound I may have to rig up a little speaker for the base; maybe even a little motion sensor.

Dear whom it may concern at SSC,

Concerning the release of the Imperial Probe Droid,

BRING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!........... :lecture

sincerely,
Barryo

I can see their hesitance in releasing this item, the Star Wars items of late, and particularly the non-figures, like the E-Web Cannon, Dewback, Environments, haven't sold very well judging by the length of time they've been in stock.

That said, I'm down for 1 without a doubt!

And it's largely due to price, IMO.* I hope Sideshow sees that and prices the droid accordingly.

*size has a lot to do with it as well. But I would argue if the price was lower on things like the dewback and other environments, they would have sold regardless of their size.

But you can only lower the price so much before it's simply not worth producing/stocking in the first place - because these are fixed volume limited edition items you can't overcome small margins with scale.

Back