Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done, done, and.... DONE!!!! This is the one that I have been waiting for for years!!!!

You're right, of course. Sideshow, like any business, has to make a profit. So they have to mark up their product by X percent in order to achieve that, which then means they can have an R&D department which can then develop more cool things like the probe droid.

And I'm sure if Sideshow started cutting corners it would show, and we would all complain about the lower quality.

But the way the prices are going, it's a wonder there's anyone left here on the boards buying stuff! Seriously, I'm amazed at how many NEW people are starting to join in this hobby. I started in 2008 when the prices of a Sideshow figure ran from $65 to $90, and HT's figures were around $130. That was already crazy expensive to me. The only reason I still buy is because I became addicted at that lower price. And once you're hooked, you're hooked! But how can newbies get hooked when the average Sideshow figure is now $150, and the average HT figure is $200?

Agree totally! How SSC can almost TRIPLE their price for a figure in such a short time is beyond me. Yes, they are good, but come one... $250 for the new Vader? I just hope that this one comes in around $150, any more and I'm out. Some of these figures are almost as much as a PF and I don't care what anyone says, the PF are better. Yes, with the 1:6 scale you can pose but still.

So, after seeing this at SDCC, I SO friggin hope this is sturdier then that E-web cannon, cause that thing aint worth $150 smacks (even though I bought one - wont buy another at that price). I really wish the pistons on the appendages actually worked. That would have been a fine feature to this piece. Fully expecting to get SS's "good enough" approach and I'm not complaining too loudly as I'm also glad to get this one in the line up and for that, THANKS SS!

A new RPF message from a Probe Droid expert:

moffeaton said:

Ye, I painted it for Sideshow and it is indeed based on the 1:1 prop. You can really tell on the underside details - they did a very good job, and the coolest thing? All the little turret eyes articulate!! You have GOT to buy one when they become available. It's a killer bit of engineering - the whole thing is articulated to hell and back!

I think that makes it worth the $150. I just hope all that articulation doesn't mean an even higher price hike!

If it's over $150, I hope they don't plan to sell more than about 1000 over the course of 24 months. These are the production and pricing realities they have to evaluate to decide whether it's worth releasing this product. I think it's going to be a tough sell.

If I were a mod, I'd delete that post, pixel! :mad:

Seriously, though, I think you might be underestimating the appeal of this design. I'm guessing it would appeal to robot/SF/fantasy collectors as well as SW fans (and it really should have an extreme appeal to our group... Not sure how any ESB fan could pass on the Probot).

As for pricing, I'd say now that Greivous should be a good indicator at what this will cost. No chance will it be $150.00, though. It looks to be about the same height as the Tauntaun, articulated eyes and (probably) arms, lights and sounds (plus 100% new moldings). $150.00 for all that is just not realistic.

Last edited:
Some details about the Probe Droid in this youtube video:

[ame]https://youtu.be/0JvtFkl9ZaA[/ame]

Great find, jkno. Good information on all the protos and it appears from what the spokesperson is saying that the Probot is a go. :yess:

Also he confirms that the arms will be articulated and that the antennas are retractible. This is going to be a killer piece.

On a sidenote, I can see what people are saying now about Vader looking better in the vids. He definitely looks a lot better there than in the pics I've seen.

I got the video from another thread here, and since it is about PD too, i thought to post it here as well :)

Im wondering if the pistons in the legs will work. They are solid pieces like the E-web on this prototype. I'd like to see them move in that spider like manner from the movie where we see the legs unfold to a degree. That was always one of the most striking things about it to me as a kid.

Some more pics courtesy of Shadow:

n30h.jpg

flj4.jpg

a9cx.jpg

nr6r.jpg

just watched ESB tonight for the 237,456th time...............:yess:

probe droid still rocks...............that is all..............:lecture

Barry can't count past 47. So it's highly unlikely that 237,456 is accurate.

probe droid still rocks...............that is all..............:lecture

Let's remember how cool this Probe Droid is:

Probe Droid - Minute 0:46

[ame]https://youtu.be/qF76lk9yiyo[/ame]

Probe Droid - Minute 0:16

[ame]https://youtu.be/X0Z1dsAerm0[/ame]

When it's first up for pre-order, it'll have the maximum number of months of Flexpay possible (as it gets closer to release, Sideshow reduces the number of months that the payments can be broken-up into), so maybe that'd be an option? You deserve this Probot, shockwave! :D

Back