SHIN GODZILLA - Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

What surprises me is I would think they would want to pour money into the films to bring them up to today's standards, are Japanese audiences equally accepting of Godzilla level CGI and the likes of Iron Man or Transformers, movies which do huge numbers over there. Is the decline in popularity of the old style Godzilla films tied to them going from almost cutting edge to behind the times? Up until about '95, Godzilla movies were almost on par for their times, maybe a bit low budget but not that far off, but the millennium series was just way out of touch with movies coming out of the U.S. at the same time. Look at Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla 2002, same year as Spider-man 2 and Attack of the Clones, huge differences in overall production quality.

Yeah anything sfx related and toho I'm always a bit of a skeptic. Take GMK..I thought the practical fx were superb...the cgi was atrocious like most godzilla films. I never seen evenge...whatever its called lol

The funny thing is that the effects would've been better if the director had his way. Toho wanted to use it's own cg people for GMK instead of the people that worked on Gamera Revenge of Iris, which had pretty cool stylised cg effects.

It did indeed. One of the prettiest japanese monster movies. Wish GMK was as smooth.

This is exciting to hear, looks like we wont have to wait till 2018 to see him again. It will be interesting to see what toho does with him now.

Speaking of jarringly dated CG - have any of you folks seen 'Dororo' ?

It's an interesting story, but man - those effects. They're like PS1 level. :lol

I think more than anything I want to know about the story, is this an origin film, will it just jump into a world where Godzilla exists like G2K, will there be other monsters? As exciting as the news we have is, so little has been revealled about the movie itself.

The Good, the Bad, and Godzilla

Sounds like the filmmakers want to push the production limitations as far as they can and not be constrained by them, could be promising, hopefully their consideration of it means they'll be clever at working around it and surprise us all. I'm curious about their thoughts about the way he's been depicted in Japan of late, are they going back to his roots, do they truly get his roots because Gareth Edwards sounded like he did and 2014 was not original Godzilla.

Mondo has a new print that shows off a redesigned legendary godzilla here at sdcc!!! Im going to try to get it. I shall murder if i have to

image.jpg

Legendary's Godzilla Gets a Toho Inspired Redesign for New Mondo SDCC Exclusive Poster!

Last edited:

Just so people aren't confused, this isn't the 2016 Godzilla design, it's Legendary's Godzilla given traditional Toho features, a hybrid of old and new, for fun.

I'll believe it when a real source posts it, scified/godzillamovies posts anything and everything and spread rumor as much as fact, horrible site.

Scified is a **** site alright but if you read the article they are doing nothing but reporting what August Ragone put on his blog. And Ragone has been a trusted source for anything Godzilla, kaiju-related or Japanese film and tv related for years. So I'm definitely inclined to believe that Ragone has indeed gotten a hold of some juicy information, especially with the involvement of Takeya and Maeda who are giants in the illustration, sculpting and anime fields. You couple that with Anno, who helped found Gainax and directed Evangelion and Gunbuster, both profound and classic pieces of anime, and Maguchi who are responsible for directing and Anno turning in the script, this has the potential to be something special.

On a side note folks, has anyone played / own the recent Godzilla PS3 game?

Looks like something I'd enjoy. :lol

Back