SHIN GODZILLA - Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

That was the greatest documentary footage I've ever seen

Godzilla 2014 should have been a powerful film. But it wasn't. I walked away completely impressed with the monster battles and how alive Godzilla looked, but underwhelmed completely by the narrative, the acting and the themes of the film. It felt like a Sci-Fi channel movie with a budget. It was entertaining, but it wasn't artistic. It didn't harken back to anything worthwhile, it didn't even attempt to have a deeper message. I'm actually surprised that so many fans are okay with the total absence of an anti-nuclear message in the case of Godzilla. The Mutos were more representative if it, but Godzilla, as much as I liked him, wasn't a mutant, wasn't a message, wasn't even a warning to mankind.

And, as we've all acknowledged by now, the fact that they advertised a COMPLETELY different film, only hurts the final product. Had they advertised a light, Showa-esque Godzilla film and gave us a final product that was more akin to what was advertised, I would have walked in with more caution and walked out with my mind blown.

As for Toho's Godzilla 2016, I highly doubt they'll do anything close to Final Wars again. I am absolutely salivating to see what new design they will come up with (and hopefully get away from the stupid super spikey millennium look) and have him make the grande entrance to an I***ube theme. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they do that, I'll feel right at home. Now, some of their own Godzillas have been pretty strange to take in to--personality wise. Obviously GMK is in his own category, but even the Kiryu series (that alot of fans really enjoy), Godzilla was pretty stupid and lifeless in those films. Kiryu had way more character than Godzilla did. After the initial 5 minutes where Godzilla steps on the tank and charges up with the lightning (which was only just a badass money shot), he didn't do anything at all for the next two films that was worth being invested in.

I HOPE they don't jump on Legendary's sack and make Godzilla a big pet guardian. I hope he blasts everybody all to hell honestly.

Godzilla 2014 should have been a powerful film. But it wasn't. I walked away completely impressed with the monster battles and how alive Godzilla looked, but underwhelmed completely by the narrative, the acting and the themes of the film. It felt like a Sci-Fi channel movie with a budget. It was entertaining, but it wasn't artistic. It didn't harken back to anything worthwhile, it didn't even attempt to have a deeper message. I'm actually surprised that so many fans are okay with the total absence of an anti-nuclear message in the case of Godzilla. The Mutos were more representative if it, but Godzilla, as much as I liked him, wasn't a mutant, wasn't a message, wasn't even a warning to mankind.

And, as we've all acknowledged by now, the fact that they advertised a COMPLETELY different film, only hurts the final product. Had they advertised a light, Showa-esque Godzilla film and gave us a final product that was more akin to what was advertised, I would have walked in with more caution and walked out with my mind blown.

As for Toho's Godzilla 2016, I highly doubt they'll do anything close to Final Wars again. I am absolutely salivating to see what new design they will come up with (and hopefully get away from the stupid super spikey millennium look) and have him make the grande entrance to an I***ube theme. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they do that, I'll feel right at home. Now, some of their own Godzillas have been pretty strange to take in to--personality wise. Obviously GMK is in his own category, but even the Kiryu series (that alot of fans really enjoy), Godzilla was pretty stupid and lifeless in those films. Kiryu had way more character than Godzilla did. After the initial 5 minutes where Godzilla steps on the tank and charges up with the lightning (which was only just a badass money shot), he didn't do anything at all for the next two films that was worth being invested in.

I HOPE they don't jump on Legendary's sack and make Godzilla a big pet guardian. I hope blasts everybody all to hell honestly.

:lol :lol :lol

Legendary's Godzilla really wasn't a warning to man, the MUTOs definitely were. The greed for nuclear power opened the mine unleashing them, our use of it left a food source to draw them out. Godzilla's presence was nature's way of setting things back the way they were before the MUTOs were uncovered.

I'm glad they didn't make Godzilla 2014 some political statement about recycling your nuclear waste properly or whatever. He's way beyond that now. The movie treated him as some ancient Cthulhu-esque terror from the deep that couldn't care less about humans. This is the first Godzilla movie that I can recall where man was constantly attacking him and he just couldn't be bothered to retaliate. We're insects to him. He didn't need to breathe fire and blast us all to hell anymore than a grizzly bear needs to interrupt a caribou hunt to acknowledge a few mosquitos. I thought that was awesome.

In the end, at least he didn't run away from man, that's right, I'm looking at you Zilla.

Check out this short that was made a few years ago. I actually think something like this with a bigger budget and a little less cheese would be the perfect direction because it blends the old style man-in-suit look and feel that Toho is known for, but updated for the more contemporary audience. I personally thought the Legendary Godzilla was only about a 6.5/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEEXydQc9KE
Damn - I really liked that!!

Thanks for posting that nexus. :duff

I'm glad they didn't make Godzilla 2014 some political statement about recycling your nuclear waste properly or whatever. He's way beyond that now. The movie treated him as some ancient Cthulhu-esque terror from the deep that couldn't care less about humans. This is the first Godzilla movie that I can recall where man was constantly attacking him and he just couldn't be bothered to retaliate. We're insects to him. He didn't need to breathe fire and blast us all to hell anymore than a grizzly bear needs to interrupt a caribou hunt to acknowledge a few mosquitos. I thought that was awesome.
I can see your point about him nit attacking humans--i dont like it (because in my view the battleships were making him groan in ways like the mutos were when they were hurting him and he just stumbled through the bridge) but okay I can swallow that. But I dont agree with Godzilla's symbolism being stripped away to being, like you said, an old mythological beast void of real purpose or meaning towards mankind. The result was a paper-thin plot with no emotion minus cranstons scene.

They didnt have to recreate the 1954 film scene by scene, or '84 even. But everything felt shallow. And it didnt even make sense. He's the alpha predator? He preys on the Mutos? Or his mission was to just stop the love machine? In which case there isnt necessarily a food chain, moreso just blue corner vs red corner like the showa films.

He's the alpha predator? He preys on the Mutos? Or his mission was to just stop the love machine? In which case there isnt necessarily a food chain, moreso just blue corner vs red corner like the showa films.

I agree that they didn't really make his role as "alpha predator" very clear. If MTUO's are his prey then he certainly didn't do anything after he killed them. My interpretation is that Godzilla doesn't eat MUTO's but that they are competing predators, with him being the alpha. Since I liked the film I'm totally fine with theorizing about any number of possible scenarios. Maybe MUTO's devour the same radioactive food sources as Godzilla, maybe they are constantly doing that echo communication that disrupts his hibernation, or maybe millions of years ago when there was a full eco-system of various kaiju there used to be other creatures that would eat MUTO eggs so that when hundreds were layed only a couple would survive (kind of like modern day sea turtles that sprint toward the sea after hatching.) Maybe without those other beasts to eat MUTO eggs they'd quickly take over the world and Godzilla knew that. I think any one of those possibilities would be cool and I don't mind filling in those blanks. YMMV of course.

Now all I need is some egg nog and rum.

View attachment 151372

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

That tree is beautiful is it really yours? lol i know the godzilla head is Photoshopped on of course

What happened GS, you really went negative on the film now.
Not so much honestly. I tried to watch the film again though recently and I just can't stay into it. I found myself kind of bored and each time I watch it I constantly think they could have done something better. I don't hate it I just don't feel the love in it that the director and writer claimed to have...not like when other films like captain america apes and days of future past are so satisfying in so many ways.

Compared to MANY godzilla films, it's a big improvement (though I wont say its better than most....maybe it will crack my top 10 on a good day and it still doesnt give me the chills and imprint that the original does...or close to it). But hollywood budget aside, this film should have really left a better mark on everybody.

Fair enough. :duff

Hopefully Toho's new one hits the ground running where it counts, major Kaiju/Military battles with atomic breath spamming kept to a minimum.

The occasional finishing move is ok. :lol

Last edited:

If there's one area Legendary excelled, they got Godzilla's power and pure beastly-ness. I know Godzilla has blasted foes through the head before, but the way he took out the female Muto was a damn Mortal Kombat finisher. lol And I'm not complaining. I mean, if you think about it, I'd have to say that Godzilla Raids Again was the most brutal, though simple, Godzilla battle they had, at least from a violence standpoint (since it was two giant creatures just ripping each other's throats out for 20 minutes). This film shot right up there. I mean "Gigan" and "MechaGodzilla" were bloody and violent too, but they also had silly wrestling moves and some outlandish moments that made it more cartoonish. But this one, I felt like their jaws and teeth did real damage and had real strength. Though, every time I watch the film, Godzilla has the male muto's wing (and I think even leg) at one point in his mouth and how he can't crush that fragile looking thing baffles me. In fact, he has him in his mouth BY THE WING and just tries to throw him with his jaws...he should have CRUNCHED the Muto wingless...that would have been COOL.

See, there I go again--finding things that would have been cooler lol

Back