Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew, just finished watching it.

*lights a cigarette

Spectacular!

Ok for starters the soundtrack improved for me, what the hell lol.

Act 1 and 2 improved, wut how!

The movie is just gorgeous to look at.

The scale of everything in frame is superb!

K2SO is amazingly written.

That 3rd act!!!

I love when Saul tells Jyn others wanted to hold her hostage meaning the alliance just as much as the empire so he abandoned her.

Love how Saul thinks she's been brainwashed by the alliance and she's there to assassinate him.

Love how Jyn says that the rebellion has only caused her pain.

Galen's message to Jyn and Saul was well acted by Mads!

So messed up that an alliance bomb killed the scientist who was helping them!

Truly a movie worthy at the very least keeping company with ROTJ.

One flaw though, when Cassian had his sniper rifle zoomed in on Galen and he decided not to shoot why didn't he kill Krennic instead who was standing right next to Galen.

Hey Jye, It's Saw. Saw Gerrera. :)

Yep. I really paid attention to it this time because of all the complaints but found few flaws really. I love all the "important" sounding Rebel Base music whenever they are walking quickly somewhere. Or the weird sounds of Saw's clan. Or the suspenseful "setting the traps" on the beach pre-battle music. Or the stingers here and there for emphasis. Has a real 'old movie' feel to it, just like the very first Star Wars did... before the scores became common and predictable.

It's definitely my favorite war movie right now.

And definitely above ROTJ for me. At least for now. I find it much more watchable, and I don't think it has many, if any, cringe moments. Except... "Save the dream."

That said, I'm also growing to really like Saw... and his crazy gas-sucking madness. He's just so weird and silly. Too bad they throw him away with "Save the dream" and a silly pointless suicide. He should have got one of his mismatched feet stuck between a rock and had to stay behind. Or something.

Eh, I thought Jyn's "inspirational speech" about rebellions being built on hope was pretty hard to watch.

I finished it as well and remains a top three SW film for me. It really brings back the excitement I had for the SW franchise. Kudos to Edwards or whoever great cast, story and film. Why I never give up on the franchises because no matter how many flops / average films they churn out every once in awhile we get a gem. Eye on you WB.

Only complaint is I don't have a Cassian Dollie yet......everything "off" film wise is mediocre at best so easy to let it pass.

could not agree more..................

Hey Jye, It's Saw. Saw Gerrera. :)

lol

:hi5:

yeah it was late I was definately tired

Saul lol

Yep. I really paid attention to it this time because of all the complaints but found few flaws really. I love all the "important" sounding Rebel Base music whenever they are walking quickly somewhere. Or the weird sounds of Saw's clan. Or the suspenseful "setting the traps" on the beach pre-battle music. Or the stingers here and there for emphasis. Has a real 'old movie' feel to it, just like the very first Star Wars did... before the scores became common and predictable.

It's definitely my favorite war movie right now.

And definitely above ROTJ for me. At least for now. I find it much more watchable, and I don't think it has many, if any, cringe moments. Except... "Save the dream."

That said, I'm also growing to really like Saw... and his crazy gas-sucking madness. He's just so weird and silly. Too bad they throw him away with "Save the dream" and a silly pointless suicide. He should have got one of his mismatched feet stuck between a rock and had to stay behind. Or something.

Correct about the music.

Correct about mismatched feet stuck in a rock, would've been a sad scene between him and Jyn with Cassian yelling "Lets go!".

Saw liked what he was, who he was and what he did, there was nothing shown to indicate he would give up so easily and be ok with suicide.

It would've been more tragic had he decided to come out of the shadow and want to meet up with the alliance to discuss strategy and then get killed like you said.

I love the idea of Saw leading an extremist rebel group although when the stormtrooper yelled "kill (or there's / get) the terrorist" it took me out of the movie for a quick second there lol.

The cool creature dude that worked for Saw was designed so well that he could absolutely fit naturally in the SW cantina or walking around Mos Eisley.

This movie actually has some pretty impressive tragic layers going on between the characters even on the villain side and while it doesn't perfectly extrapolate for every primary character it's still enough to make you care for them once you think about those layers.

I loved it when Cassian witnessed Krennic slapping Galen to the ground on Eadu which made him then realize that Jyn was telling the truth about Galen helping the alliance from within.

I mean you want tragic layers, the rebels killed her father yet she still sacrificed her life for the rebellion! Sheesh.

I also like that without the Death Star the Empire can suffer militarily wise from attacks by the rebellion as seen on Eadu.

Annnnd....I love how Krennic's ship exhaust almost blows Jyn off the damaged platform on Eadu which goes back to SW characters falling off a platform of some kind this one on Eadu being caused by a bomb blowing a hole in the ground opening up to the chasm below. It even was a precursor to what would happen to her later on the transmission tower hanging off the side.

We were made to think someone would fall off that one although i'm happy that Krennic didn't because I love his death by Death Star.

Maybe Jyn and Cassian parachuted down in the other version lol.

I can't stop!

I love that Jyn's hair in the rain when she's holding her dying father it looks like her hair when last she saw him as a child and I love that she answered with "We Will" to her father when he said that "It must be destroyed" as in she's accepting her role in the rebellion which was what Saw wanted her to become. What will you become!

Cassian to Jyn, "Leave him he's gone!" Sooo cold those rebels.

Ummm anything else...

Yes I loved it when Baze..Blaze...whatever his name is shot the stormtroopers when Cassian and Jyn where escaping off the Eadu platform, great moment for Baze.

God the Vader Krennic scene is sooo bad ass. Vader's head, Gareth must've had a boner who wouldn't. He is such a fan so glad he was given this movie.

Ummm anything else....

Nope that's it lol.

Last edited:
I lied, I have more to say!

Thoughts on the 3D.

I am happy to report that the 3D for home viewing HAS IMPROVED during the 1st and 2nd act, much better than the theatrical experience.

How you ask?

My best guess is because of the viewing distance.

Also hands down RO now has my favorite 3D bluray menu, just wow!

The concept and execution is superb it embraces the whole scale motif of the movie.

For you 3D haters out there, i'm sorry for your loss.

I lied, I have more to say!

Thoughts on the 3D.

I am happy to report that the 3D for home viewing HAS IMPROVED during the 1st and 2nd act, much better than the theatrical experience.

How you ask?

My best guess is because of the viewing distance.

Also hands down RO has now my favorite 3D bluray menu, just wow!

The concept and execution is superb it embraces the whole scale motif of the movie.

For you 3D haters out there, i'm sorry for your loss.

I totally agree for a film not shot in 3d the conversion js phenomenal the only ghosting i saw was in Eadu but minimal, i watched with active glasses so of course got the best effect possible, the third act really diversifies it self big time, and then the like you said i was really impressed by the menu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct about the ghosting on Eadu it's even slightly more noticeable viewing thru a passive 3D system. I have both passive and active and was able to compare the 2.

I never use my active though gives me a bad eye strain headache almost immediately where as I get none of that with passive 3D.

I compared real quick then ran away scared lol

Little girl Jyn ran to house and still beat Krennic's ship there even though the ship flew right by her over her head!

I mean what was Krennic doing, flying around in circles for what lol.

Maybe he wasn't certain that was the farm?

No matter, Krennic was so awesome in that scene i'm cool with it.

You wil NOT ruin this movie over something so small and trivial noob skywalker, you hear me, you will not, we won't let you!

We meaning me, Wor-Gar, a-dev and Khev lol.

I now understand Khev's water droplet forehead sweat Jyn joke lol

:lol "**** you water drop. Just ****...you."

Whew, just finished watching it.

*lights a cigarette

Indeed! Perfect response to watching this amazing film. :rotfl

Spectacular!

It does that. I don't think anyone can immediately embrace a non-JW SW score but the music for RO can more than hold its own. I love the various themes, even little things like that single trumpet that plays when the Rebels are taking their positions on Scarif. As Wor-Gar mentined it has a total old school "Black Sheep Squadron" type feel to it. The music as the Star Destroyer crashes through the Shield Gate while Jyn and Cassian go down the elevator is one of my favorite moments in the movie.

The movie is just gorgeous to look at.

The scale of everything in frame is superb!

:lol Are you saying that in response to the recent interview with Gareth where he talked about the importance of proper scale in movies like this?

One flaw though, when Cassian had his sniper rifle zoomed in on Galen and he decided not to shoot why didn't he kill Krennic instead who was standing right next to Galen.

I thought about that too but from Cassian's perspective Krennic was just a random Imperial, he didn't know how important he was. And killing him could have given away their position causing every single one of them (the only people who knew of the DS flaw) to be killed themselves.

anyone else find it odd that the entire Rogue One mission could have been avoided if Krennic parked closer to the Erso farm?

Little girl Jyn ran to house and still beat Krennic's ship there even though the ship flew right by her over her head!

I mean what was Krennic doing, flying around in circles for what lol.

Maybe he wasn't certain that was the farm?

No matter, Krennic was so awesome in that scene i'm cool with it.

You wil NOT ruin this movie over something so small and trivial noob skywalker, you hear me, you will not, we won't let you!

We meaning me, Wor-Gar, a-dev and Khev lol.

RO is great enough that it can handle criticisms like that one. I noticed that very early on as well. Strange geography to allow young Jyn to run so far, with the shuttle passing her so quickly, and still beat it to the farm. It also begs the question as to whether the shuttle would have easily seen her which would probably be a topic of conversation between Krennic and Galen.

But I'm fine with it. For one thing Gareth cast such an awesome little girl as young Jyn! She really had a fitting "soft yet tough" demeanor and with the same Bugs Bunny teeth as Felicity no less! Also I just love how when the shuttle flies over her she looks over her shoulder with alarm as she's running *right* as the shuttle passes overhead. It's always a pet peeve of mine when CGI doesn't match with actors' eye lines and with the shot of her running being so long with the shuttle flying out of the background they would have had to painstakingly place the shuttle right up in her field of vision and then reverse engineered it's trajectory backwards so that when you see it in the background at the beginning of the shot it passes her at just the right moment. Okay I typed way too much about that one little inconsequential moment but dammit I was impressed. :lol

Interesting thought about Saw trying to escape and get stuck. For me that wouldn't have worked as well because then we would have literally had two "Nooo!" tragic deaths back to back with Saw and Galen. I don't think it would have been good for Jyn to have been a sobbing wreck leaving two planets in such immediate succession. Having Saw resigned to his fate and Jyn understanding that solves that problem. Plus I'm not convinced that Saw *could* have run, at all, with those awkward metal feet. I'm guessing he just spent his final days hobbling around that cave and that with the full on sprint everyone needed to take to escape he knew that all he'd do is get Jyn and whoever else who waited for him killed.

Also I think that Saw might have realized that his time was just up. With Bodhi's story being true and Galen's message being legit and Jyn NOT there to kill him I think he finally realized that he was too far "gone" and that his warped mind had been compromised to the point where he no longer recognized friend from foe. Since he couldn't run anyway the best he could do was to inspire Jyn to carry on in his place and go out on his own terms. That's my take anyway.

It does that. I don't think anyone can immediately embrace a non-JW SW score but the music for RO can more than hold its own. I love the various themes, even little things like that single trumpet that plays when the Rebels are taking their positions on Scarif. As Wor-Gar mentined it has a total old school "Black Sheep Squadron" type feel to it. The music as the Star Destroyer crashes through the Shield Gate while Jyn and Cassian go down the elevator is one of my favorite moments in the movie.

Or when the music goes very quiet when the Death Star arrives at Scariff....

Or when the music goes very quiet when the Death Star arrives at Scariff....

Absolutely. Another favorite moment is when Vader's Star Destroyer arrives. A lesser composer would have been all "well I guess this is where I blast the Imperial March! Vader's here, yeah!" But that would have undercut the very dire situation that both sides were experiencing in that moment. Even Vader's own second in command had a look of "oh man, this is bad, really bad..."

Absolutely. Another favorite moment is when Vader's Star Destroyer arrives. A lesser composer would have been all "well I guess this is where I blast the Imperial March! Vader's here, yeah!" But that would have undercut the very dire situation that both sides were experiencing in that moment. Even Vader's own second in command had a look of "oh man, this is bad, really bad..."

If only composers of Terminator music had similar restraint. DUN-DUN DUN DUN-DUN! Not that it mattered really considering the overall silliness of those sequels.

:lol "**** you water drop. Just ****...you."

Indeed! Perfect response to watching this amazing film. :rotfl

:lol Are you saying that in response to the recent interview with Gareth where he talked about the importance of proper scale in movies like this?

I thought about that too but from Cassian's perspective Krennic was just a random Imperial, he didn't know how important he was. And killing him could have given away their position causing every single one of them (the only people who knew of the DS flaw) to be killed themselves.

:lol

Nah, he was already labeled as master of scale after his first movie.

Talk about scale....

Even with a single eye and door!

IMG_4459.JPG

I like this scale...ahem...

IMG_4465.JPG

RO is great enough that it can handle criticisms like that one. I noticed that very early on as well. Strange geography to allow young Jyn to run so far, with the shuttle passing her so quickly, and still beat it to the farm. It also begs the question as to whether the shuttle would have easily seen her which would probably be a topic of conversation between Krennic and Galen.

But I'm fine with it. For one thing Gareth cast such an awesome little girl as young Jyn! She really had a fitting "soft yet tough" demeanor and with the same Bugs Bunny teeth as Felicity no less! Also I just love how when the shuttle flies over her she looks over her shoulder with alarm as she's running *right* as the shuttle passes overhead. It's always a pet peeve of mine when CGI doesn't match with actors' eye lines and with the shot of her running being so long with the shuttle flying out of the background they would have had to painstakingly place the shuttle right up in her field of vision and then reverse engineered it's trajectory backwards so that when you see it in the background at the beginning of the shot it passes her at just the right moment. Okay I typed way too much about that one little inconsequential moment but dammit I was impressed. :lol

Interesting thought about Saw trying to escape and get stuck. For me that wouldn't have worked as well because then we would have literally had two "Nooo!" tragic deaths back to back with Saw and Galen. I don't think it would have been good for Jyn to have been a sobbing wreck leaving two planets in such immediate succession. Having Saw resigned to his fate and Jyn understanding that solves that problem. Plus I'm not convinced that Saw *could* have run, at all, with those awkward metal feet. I'm guessing he just spent his final days hobbling around that cave and that with the full on sprint everyone needed to take to escape he knew that all he'd do is get Jyn and whoever else who waited for him killed.

Also I think that Saw might have realized that his time was just up. With Bodhi's story being true and Galen's message being legit and Jyn NOT there to kill him I think he finally realized that he was too far "gone" and that his warped mind had been compromised to the point where he no longer recognized friend from foe. Since he couldn't run anyway the best he could do was to inspire Jyn to carry on in his place and go out on his own terms. That's my take anyway.

Yeah I guess one can view it as Jyn being Saw's successor, he was happy enough to see a younger more stable version of him carrying on the mission. His circle was now complete.

Another thing I now noticed with Baze and Chirrut.

Baze has a body that is slow and injured, can barely run, so he needs big weapons.

Chirrut is fast and agile, he only needs a staff weapon.

Love that and I also love that Baze finally accepted the force at his death.

Amazing stuff.

Ok so here is where I say screw it.

After watching it at home in 3D I can now comfortably and confidently proclaim this movie to be BETTER THAN ROTJ even with ROTJ being the movie that resolved all the conflicts from SW/ESB with that incredible 3rd act on the Death Star and space battle, but not the Endor battle!

RO 3rd act is excellent all around, space and on Scariff, no weak spots!

Jyn's and Cassians death is so very powerful and poignant to watch...to experience...you feel it.

Yes folks, RO is the real deal....ALL OF IT, not just the 3rd act anymore.

ALL OF IT!

It is an excellent SW movie that WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN or put aside even in our modern times of disposable entertainment.

No sir it won't because it's a great SW movie!

Sorry Force Awakens, you were beaten.

I do wonder what a SW movie would've been like had it come out between 1991-1995!

Last edited:
If only composers of Terminator music had similar restraint. DUN-DUN DUN DUN-DUN! Not that it mattered really considering the overall silliness of those sequels.

I actually thought about calling out how that later Terminator sequels really abused the "dun nun DUN dun nun" music in contrast to RO so I'm glad you did. :lol

Back