Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this idea. The only trouble is what Clown Prince just said. Leia has the exact same outfit and hair all that time...not impossible I suppose. She certainly wouldn't be taking after her mother who had an entire outfit change every .5 seconds.

But even assuming that she doesnt own more than 1 white robe, it still works because they cant just stop and get new clothes; they are being hunted. If she had no other clothes on board, then yeah she'll be wearing the same outfit but that's the least of her problems. If she had several changes on board, she'd still have to rotate through them every few days.

Again, Return of the Jedi made this a problem long before the prequels did though. Obi-Wan straight up lied to Luke anyway you cut it. According to Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan and Yoda hid Luke and Leia from The Emperor and Vader. Anakin didn't even know he had children. So that whole "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" is still BS. That infamous "point of view" thing is terrible, contrived writing and Alec Guinness just manages to sell it. It always made me mad that Luke isn't angry about it. His reaction or lack thereof is awful. He should be pissed that these two old weirdos he placed his trust into lied to him, but nope.

The continuity gets worse with each movie. The saga as a whole, even with the "Star Wars: Legends" fat cut from it is a mess. Return of the Jedi was the harbinger of problems that would plague Phantom Menace and each sequel afterwards.

I used to analyze all the continuity gaffs of ROTJ and let it bug me but for the sake of the saga I just go into "it's just a movie" mode for that film alone and enjoy the good parts of the movie and call it a day. Another error that used to bug me by the Luke and Leia being twins thing is how it changes the dialogue in ESB:

"And sacrifice Han and Leia??"

"If you value what they fight for...yes."

"That boy is our last hope."

"No, there is another."

But after the revelations in ROTJ lets continue that exchange:

"That boy is our last hope.

"No, there is another."

"You mean his twin sister that is currently captured by Vader and most likely going to be killed if he fails?"

"Yep."

"Good point. ****ed we are."

But, eh. Jabba, gold bikini, rancor, Sarlacc, speeder bikes, space battle, Luke going off on Vader with his saber, funeral pyre. All good stuff in a movie where George was getting burned out and REALLY slipping with certain aspects of the story. Since I ignore the PT that still gives me RO + SW + ESB + ROTJ + TFA which in my mind is still a hell of a strong narrative, even if I do have to force myself to not think too hard about Jedi.

It very well could be. I just like the idea of the chase more. That the Tantive IV is tbe most sought after ship in the galaxy and so try as they might they can't go to ground anywhere because the all the resources of the Empire are looking for them, and they can't go to Yavin because it will give away the location. So they keep running, hyperspace jump after hyperspace while the whole time tney feel the Imperial net closing around them. After some narrow/lucky escapes, fatigue/an informant/whatever leads to Vadar's ship dropping out if hyperspace right behind them as they enter the Tatooine system.

The way you described it certainly makes it thrilling but man if they couldn't figure out how to get those plans where they belonged after 3 weeks of hyperspacing then they deserved to die. :lol

So nope, i'm sticking with my 3 minutes Vader in hot pursuit!

I like this idea. The only trouble is what Clown Prince just said. Leia has the exact same outfit and hair all that time...not impossible I suppose.

EMPEROR: The same outfit?

VADER: The exact same outfit, my master.

EMPEROR: How many days was it between encounters.

VADER: Three.

EMPEROR: Three days. Well, maybe you caught her on the cusp of a new wash cycle. You know, she did laundry the day after you attacked her ship, everything got clean and she started all over again.

VADER: Possibly, but then shouldn't the outfit only reappear again at the end of the cycle?

EMPEROR: Maybe she moved it up in the rotation.

VADER: Why? It's our first chase, she's already in reruns?

EMPEROR: Very curious.

VADER: Indeed, my master.

I used to analyze all the continuity gaffs of ROTJ and let it bug me but for the sake of the saga I just go into "it's just a movie" mode for that film alone and enjoy the good parts of the movie and call it a day. Another error that used to bug me by the Luke and Leia being twins thing is how it changes the dialogue in ESB:

"No, there is another."

"No, there is another."

"You mean his twin sister that is currently captured by Vader and most likely going to be killed if he fails?"

"Yep."

But, eh. Jabba, gold bikini, rancor, Sarlacc, speeder bikes, space battle, Luke going off on Vader with his saber, funeral pyre. All good stuff in a movie where George was getting burned out and REALLY slipping with certain aspects of the story. Since I ignore the PT that still gives me RO + SW + ESB + ROTJ + TFA which in my mind is still a hell of a strong narrative, even if I do have to force myself to not think too hard about Jedi.

"No, there is another."

"No **** dead midget, just for that i'm telling Luke next time I see him, dumb ass"

:lol :lol :lol

We go off on some hilarious tangents on this forum, gotta love it.

"No, there is another."

"No, there is another."

"Yep."

I have never thought of that all these years. Damn. It would seem to suggest that Leia was not intended to be that other 'hope'...and yet she clearly has a force connection with Luke later in the film..unless originally the idea was that Luke could telepathically speak to anyone and he chose Leia.

Last edited:
EMPEROR: The same outfit?

VADER: The exact same outfit, my master.

EMPEROR: How many days was it between encounters.

VADER: Three.

EMPEROR: Three days. Well, maybe you caught her on the cusp of a new wash cycle. You know, she did laundry the day after you attacked her ship, everything got clean and she started all over again.

VADER: Possibly, but then shouldn't the outfit only reappear again at the end of the cycle?

EMPEROR: Maybe she moved it up in the rotation.

VADER: Why? It's our first chase, she's already in reruns?

EMPEROR: Very curious.

VADER: Indeed, my master.

7KW5QWi.gif

"No, there is another."

"No, there is another."

"Yep."

I never actually thought of that exchange between Yoda and Obi-Wan as to why the whole "Leia is Luke's sister" is BS. That's actually brilliant. Further proof that as far as ANH and Empire are concerned, Luke and Leia are not related.

And yeah, I don't hate ROTJ. There are tons of classic scenes, moments and characters. It's just that the writing and story are insanely weak. It always bothered me even as a kid. You can even see behind the scenes that there was a better "Revenge of the Jedi" film in pre-production. I think somewhere down the line it came down to $$$ and time and he just winged it. There is something cheap about it, from the writing to the visuals.

For me, I only think ANH and Empire are any thing special. But as a whole, I can find good things in all of them to like and enjoy, even the prequels. I like that post-ROTJ movies give us things that were originally planned for the OT but dropped for whatever reason. Imperial City was always planned and we got that in the Episode III. Vader's castle was originally planned for Empire and we got that in Rogue One. Vader's lightsaber boarding entrance was originally planned for ANH and we got it in Rogue One. Han Solo should have died in Return of the Jedi and we got it in TFA. Vader and Moff Jerjerrod were originally intended to be rivals in ROTJ and we got Kylo Ren and Hux in TFA. Early drafts had clone soldiers and facilities (Lando was going to be one along with Lobot) and we got that in Attack of the Clones. The whole idea of Obi-Wan and Vader dueling on a volcano and the lava goes back to the novelization from the 80s and I got to see it in ROTS. It may not be as good as they were originally planned, but it's nice that each moment is captured in a sense.

I'm still having a hard time with the transition to ANH because Vader says "Don't act so surprised your highness, you weren't on any mercy mission this time" and the whole "you are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!"

No **** sherlock you just chased her from a war zone involving the rebels, of course she wasn't on a mercy mission.

I never actually thought of that exchange between Yoda and Obi-Wan as to why the whole "Leia is Luke's sister" is BS. That's actually brilliant. Further proof that as far as ANH and Empire are concerned, Luke and Leia are not related.

And yeah, I don't hate ROTJ. There are tons of classic scenes, moments and characters. It's just that the writing and story are insanely weak. It always bothered me even as a kid. You can even see behind the scenes that there was a better "Revenge of the Jedi" film in pre-production. I think somewhere down the line it came down to $$$ and time and he just winged it. There is something cheap about it, from the writing to the visuals.

For me, I only think ANH and Empire are any thing special. But as a whole, I can find good things in all of them to like and enjoy, even the prequels. I like that post-ROTJ movies give us things that were originally planned for the OT but dropped for whatever reason. Imperial City was always planned and we got that in the Episode III. Vader's castle was originally planned for Empire and we got that in Rogue One. Vader's lightsaber boarding entrance was originally planned for ANH and we got it in Rogue One. Han Solo should have died in Return of the Jedi and we got it in TFA. Vader and Moff Jerjerrod were originally intended to be rivals in ROTJ and we got Kylo Ren and Hux in TFA. Early drafts had clone soldiers and facilities (Lando was going to be one along with Lobot) and we got that in Attack of the Clones. The whole idea of Obi-Wan and Vader dueling on a volcano and the lava goes back to the novelization from the 80s and I got to see it in ROTS. It may not be as good as they were originally planned, but it's nice that each moment is captured in a sense.

Imperial City as in Coruscant? We saw that in EII first.

I have never thought of that all these years. Damn.

According to Gary Kurtz Leia was NOT Luke's sister as of ESB. Yoda was supposedly speaking of a sister but she was supposed to be hidden on a far away planet and would learn the Force and join Luke in taking down the Emperor in Episode IX. ROTJ was originally going to be the end of Vader, with Leia being crowned "Queen" of the Rebellion or something, and then Episodes 7-9 were to be about Luke and his sister vs. the Emperor. But George allegedly got so burned out that he scrapped the idea for three more movies at the time and just said Leia was Luke's sister so he could wrap everything up in one film. That greatly disappointed Kurtz who left LFL and went off to produce The Dark Crystal instead.

It would seem to suggest that Leia was not intended to be that other 'hope'...and yet she clearly has a force connection with Luke later in the film..unless originally the idea was that Luke could telepathically speak to anyone and he chose Leia.

Yep, no one came out of ESB in 1980 going "wow, Leia 'heard' Luke! She must have the Force! Maybe is even his sister!" We all assumed that Luke used the Force to telepathically communicate with the one person he had the strongest emotional connection to, someone at the time he was even romantically attracted to. And apparently that was originally how it was supposed to be.

I'm still having a hard time with the transition to ANH because Vader says "Don't act so surprised your highness, you weren't on any mercy mission this time" and the whole "you are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!"

No **** sherlock you just chased her from a war zone involving the rebels, of course she wasn't on a mercy mission.

Stop it!! Stop it!! :ignore:

I'm still having a hard time with the transitiin to ANH because Vader says "Don't act so surprised your highness, you weren't on any mercy mission this time" and the whole "you are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!"

Just got to go with it or just enjoy Rogue One for what it is and not worry about the continuity. Every franchise is like this Jye. Atleast the time line in the 8 movies aren't as bad as the X-Men or Terminator franchises. :lol

Want something else to drive you nuts? The Death Star plans data disc that is delivered at the end of Rogue One to Leia doesn't look the same as the one shown in ANH when she feeds it into R2! :panic:

According to Gary Kurtz Leia was NOT Luke's sister as of ESB. Yoda was supposedly speaking of a sister but she was supposed to be hidden on a far away planet and would learn the Force and join Luke in taking down the Emperor in Episode IX. ROTJ was originally going to be the end of Vader, with Leia being crowned "Queen" of the Rebellion or something, and then Episodes 7-9 were to be about Luke and his sister vs. the Emperor. But George allegedly got so burned out that he scrapped the idea for three more movies at the time and just said Leia was Luke's sister so he could wrap everything up in one film. That greatly disappointed Kurtz who left LFL and went off to produce The Dark Crystal instead.

Yep, no one came out of ESB in 1980 going "wow, Leia 'heard' Luke! She must have the Force! Maybe is even his sister!" We all assumed that Luke used the Force to telepathically communicate with the one person he had the strongest emotional connection to, someone at the time he was even romantically attracted to.

Ahhhh...In 1980 I immediately thought Leia must be a Jedi..and maybe even his sister when he mind melded with her instead of Chewbacca lol.

If you take Rogue One as canon then yes obviously Vader knew she wasn't on a mercy mission. I think he was just frustrated at her pretending not to be and was just trying to get her to admit it.

Want something else to drive you nuts? The Death Star plans data disc that is delivered at the end of Rogue One to Leia doesn't look the same as the one shown in ANH when she feeds it into R2! :panic:

True, but the Falcon cockpit changed from movie to movie, as did some of the lightsabers I believe so I'm cool with it.

Ahhhh...In 1980 I immediately thought Leia must be a Jedi..and maybe even his sister when he mind melded with her instead of Chewbacca lol.

Lol!

Just got to go with it or just enjoy Rogue One for what it is and not worry about the continuity. Every franchise is like this Jye. Atleast the time line in the 8 movies aren't as bad as the X-Men or Terminator franchises. :lol

Nah that doesn't bug me, she swapped it onto a flash drive.

But you're right, as far as matching up they got it pretty damn close especially when compared to the X-Men lol.

Imperial City as in Coruscant? We saw that in EII first.

Actually, we're both wrong, it was the Phantom Menace. Whoops.

In ROTJ, originally Vader and Palpatine were going to fight with Luke and Force ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda at the Emperors lava lair, so we kind of got that multiple combatants thing between those characers in ROTS.

Rogue One also has stormtroopers that look like they're straight from the original Ralph Mcquairie illustrations which I love. We got those beach front battles for both Rogue One and ROTS. Also that crystal Jyn had around her neck along with the Jedi planet go back as far as Lucas' 70s drafts from "The Star Wars". I think everything from that weird protector/journal of the whills/adventures of Luke Starkiller to Revenge of the Jedi have been covered. Might not have got Luke Starkiller, but we got a Starkiller in TFA. Might not have had a Wookiee planet in the 80s for ROTJ but we got it in ROTS.

Well this is if we accept the PT. Even then its a gamble to think Vader would never return to Tatooine just because he had a few bad things happen there. And yes, of course, having Luke keep the Skywalker name - a silly thing which is internal to the OT even if you disregard the PT.

Call me crazy but am i the only one who loves the PT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you take Rogue One as canon then yes obviously Vader knew she wasn't on a mercy mission. I think he was just frustrated at her pretending not to be and was just trying to get her to admit it.

What about the guy Vader interrogated before getting to Leia? He said they were on a diplomatic mission. Why lie to the guy who was chasing you a few hours/days ago?

Back