Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final thoughts on the cognitive dissonance I'm experiencing:

So I don't have kids....but if I did, I couldn't share this with them. I wouldn't want to show them something this dark; I think that's where the film misses.

ANH had a couple of dark moments, notably Owen and Beru's corpses and the destruction of Alderaan, although I don't even remember Alderaan from when I was a little kid in the theatre. ANH was pretty much Flash Gordon.

ESB is commonly seen as super-dark, but it was more like a fairy-tale.

ROTJ was straight-up kid's fare.

The PT are cartoons except for the last act of ROTS when Anakin batters his wife and burns alive (WTF?).

TFA veered into po-mo darkness with Han's death and villagers getting executed, plus genocide(again).

But RO is *bleak*. It's just got a nasty edge.

The heroes eat a blast wave. No one gets out.

As an adult I enjoyed it immensely. Someone here said it was a great sci-fi film. Yes, in the tradition of Frank Herbert. But it's not quite a Star Wars film, no matter how many familiar things are in it.

That's why I don't know where to put it. Great film, wrong tradition.

:exactly:

Maybe to you but as someone who plays alot of Video games his mouth movements looked way too CGI. Also its a very questionable decision to CGI him in anyway.

Yeah, not sure how anyone couldn't have had a few issues with Tarkin CGI. It was both very cool and off at the same time.

Anyone else think that Vader's movements in the hallway wasting the rebels seemed a bit cartoonish and un-vader movement like? Not saying it as a nit pick, just that some of his movements seemed too fast....

Yeah, I can't help but think that some of it maybe had CGI tweaks - he did move a bit weird. A few moments looked CGI but the lighting was very Halloween funhouse so maybe that's it.

I thought Tarkin looked okay. I mean he looked fake and like a video game model, but it was fine because that's what it was. Not as good as Michael Douglas in Ant-Man or RDJ in Civil War, but still a decent effort. It was about on par with the young Arnold from Terminator Genisys. You know it's weird and not real but you just go with it.

Leia was too creepy though. That didn't work. I'm still getting nightmares from that face.

:goodpost:

I do wish it was at the Antman MD/Civil War RDJ level though. Would have been great.

After I saw this fanmade video, I didn't mind Obi's lies.

That's nice but it doesn't actually address any of the particular things Obi-wan told Luke.

That meme is lolz.

But a-dev, with Luke, Han and Leia being in TFA it means it's canon, just let it in.

Oh god imagine if TFA/RO had been as bad as the PT and it had those characters!

For the time being all TFA did was go from the galaxy-wide victory of ROTJ and reset it all back to ANH without much of any explanation...and kill Han Solo. I'm not sure I wanted either of those things. :lol So I have to see Episodes 8 and 9 to see if any of this was worth doing.

Again, Return of the Jedi made this a problem long before the prequels did though. Obi-Wan straight up lied to Luke anyway you cut it. According to Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan and Yoda hid Luke and Leia from The Emperor and Vader. Anakin didn't even know he had children. So that whole "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" is still BS. That infamous "point of view" thing is terrible, contrived writing and Alec Guinness just manages to sell it. It always made me mad that Luke isn't angry about it. His reaction or lack thereof is awful. He should be pissed that these two old weirdos he placed his trust into lied to him, but nope.

The continuity gets worse with each movie. The saga as a whole, even with the "Star Wars: Legends" fat cut from it is a mess. Return of the Jedi was the harbinger of problems that would plague Phantom Menace and each sequel afterwards.

I don't really know how to debate with you on this because I'm no longer clear how much of Star Wars you don't have a huge problem with :lol

ROTJ only suggests that Anakin never knew he had a daughter. Even if he never met baby Luke (which I guess is the likely scenario since he clearly didn't meet baby Leia) he could still have known that he was soon to be a father before all the ***t went down. Therefore he could have said to Obi-wan at some point - my son must inherit my lightsaber. Heck he could have said that before Luke was actually even conceived, in a conversation about a hypothetical child. Alas no, the prequels rule that out because Jedi aren't allowed to have girlfriends let alone produce kids so he would never have had this discussion with Obi-wan.

Really the only problem I have which is internal to the OT regardless of anything the prequels did or didn't do - and it's admittedly big - is how little sense it makes for Ben to hide Luke with Owen Lars who Anakin clearly knew. In a scenario where Vader knows his son is alive its reasonable to assume he will look for him - and he would surely look up Owen Lars.

Last edited:
That's nice but it doesn't actually address any of the particular things Obi-wan told Luke.

No, but I can understand why he lied to him. Same reason Alfred liked to Bruce about Rachael. What was he supposed to tell Luke? Listen kid, I burned your father and cut his limbs off because he killed a bunch of people. Oh, and here's the weapon he used to kill people. :lol

Still, I get it. It's bad writing or poor planning by Lucas.

Really the only problem I have which is internal to the OT regardless of anything the prequels did or didn't do - and it's admittedly big - is how little sense it makes for Ben to hide Luke with Owen Lars who Anakin clearly knew. In a scenario where Vader knows his son is alive its reasonable to assume he will look for him - and he would surely look up Owen Lars.

Obi knew that Vader would never go back to that planet because of the terrible memories he had of that place. Still, you'd think they wouldn't use the Skywalker name just to make sure there are no connections to Anakin Skywalker, the human slave who won a famous race.

Obi knew that Vader would never go back to that planet because of the terrible memories he had of that place. Still, you'd think they wouldn't use the Skywalker name just to make sure there are no connections to Anakin Skywalker, the human slave who won a famous race.

Well this is if we accept the PT. Even then its a gamble to think Vader would never return to Tatooine just because he had a few bad things happen there. And yes, of course, having Luke keep the Skywalker name - a silly thing which is internal to the OT even if you disregard the PT.

Of all the charactrs I only liked Chirrut and Baze.
Lookin' forward for related media that will explain their backstory.

Of all the charactrs I only liked Chirrut and Baze.
Lookin' forward for related media that will explain their backstory.

Chirrut and Baze don't seem like star wars characters at all. They are the worst part of the movie for me.

Damn, I gave it 3 minutes tops lol.

It very well could be. I just like the idea of the chase more. That the Tantive IV is tbe most sought after ship in the galaxy and so try as they might they can't go to ground anywhere because the all the resources of the Empire are looking for them, and they can't go to Yavin because it will give away the location. So they keep running, hyperspace jump after hyperspace while the whole time tney feel the Imperial net closing around them. After some narrow/lucky escapes, fatigue/an informant/whatever leads to Vadar's ship dropping out if hyperspace right behind them as they enter the Tatooine system.

It very well could be. I just like the idea of the chase more. That the Tantive IV is tbe most sought after ship in the galaxy and so try as they might they can't go to ground anywhere because the all the resources of the Empire are looking for them, and they can't go to Yavin because it will give away the location. So they keep running, hyperspace jump after hyperspace while the whole time tney feel the Imperial net closing around them. After some narrow/lucky escapes, fatigue/an informant/whatever leads to Vadar's ship dropping out if hyperspace right behind them as they enter the Tatooine system.

I like this idea. The only trouble is what Clown Prince just said. Leia has the exact same outfit and hair all that time...not impossible I suppose. She certainly wouldn't be taking after her mother who had an entire outfit change every .5 seconds.

Back