Robocop (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Robocop....making a comeback?

Aronofsky is coming off his second recent major critical success. Between The Wrestler and Black Swan he has his pick of whatever he wants for the next few years.

I doubt Robocop is quite the priority for him it once was.

I've never seen anything by Jose Padilha. I guess it could go either way.

I'd love to have another good Robocop film (of which only one so far exists - and not 2 or 3). I'm open to a new one.

MGM hires writer for "Robocop" reboot

MGM has found its Robocop writer. The studio is hiring Josh Zetumer to script the reboot of the 1987 science fiction film about a cop brought back from death and drafted to become a remorseless and ruthless cyborg cop. That plan is subverted when suppressed memories of his past life come back to haunt him.

MGM recently hired Brazilian director Jose Padilha, helmer of the cop franchise Elite Squad and the documentary Bus 174. Padilha and Zetumer will collaborate closely in reinventing the film. Zetumer seems ready to pop. He first got on the radar when he wrote the script Infiltrator, which made the Black List. That spy thriller script is set at Warner Bros as a potential starring vehicle for Leonardo DiCaprio. Zetumer also wrote drafts of Dune when Peter Berg was going to direct that remake at Paramount, and he scripted a fourth installment of The Bourne Identity before Universal instead developed a spinoff with Tony Gilroy. Zetumer just turned in Vale, a supernatural action thriller script at Warner Bros.

MGM, back in business under Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum after coming out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, has targeted Robocop as the first franchise in its reemergence plan. The project was a high priority for the last regime before its funding was frozen, with Darren Aronofsky planning to direct until he left to helm the Wolverine sequel at 20th Century Fox with Hugh Jackman. The studio also has its half share of The Hobbit, underway with Warner Bros distributing, and MGM is finalizing a distribution deal with Sony Pictures for the next James Bond installment, with Javier Bardem in discussions to play the villain role opposite Daniel Craig.

credit: https://www.deadline.com/2011/03/mgm-hires-josh-zetumer-to-script-robocop-reboot/

Everything about that is bad news.
All because of that damn statue.

Hey, new movie, new Hot Toys Robocop and Ed-209. I say bring it on:yess:

Hey, new movie, new Hot Toys Robocop and Ed-209. I say bring it on:yess:

Robocop based on who? An Actor we don't know yet from a film thats being made because some ass clown at a studio realised he could capitalise from a current events story. Who knows what the suit will look like.

And who says the ED 209s will even be in this?

I can't think of a single good remake of an 80's movie right now so I'm going to assume that there aren't any.

They should not remake RoboCop; the '87 original was, at its heart, a subtle and brutal commentary on Ronald Reagan's America. It was a product of its time and it was all the better for it. It just worked. A remake is not necessary at all IMO.

I can't think of a single good remake of an 80's movie right now so I'm going to assume that there aren't any.

There's Evil Dead 2, but that might not count because both the original and the remake were released in the 80's.

There's Evil Dead 2, but that might not count because both the original and the remake were released in the 80's.

Evil Dead 2 is awesome but it's not a typical remake (it is, of course, also a sequel) and it features the same director and lead actor. Good shout though, Kabukiman. :) It's as close to a good 80's remake as I can think of.

Is There Anything Worse Than robocop 3 ?

the answer is yes

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7pOoSe2K5DU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No doubt. But old as ____. He could not put that suit on again. And i'm talking from a visual standpoint. It would look silly.

That could work to it's benefit. Have even the invincible cyborg face his mortality as his organic parts are starting to wither away.

Robocop 2 was a perfectly fine "sequel" There was nothing wrong with the film, both parts 1 and 2 had their cheesy moments.

Just my 2 cents and or opinion .............. nah you can all go ____ yourselves too :nana:

IMO the best thing about Part 2 was Robocain, and even that they took too far with it being addicted to drugs and all. The kid was annoying, as was the mayor.

Story was OK, but went a bit overboard on taking things to extreme. I did like some of the "ads" especially the first one with John Glover.

Really? Hmm. It will suck ass anyway. The original is perfection.

Joel Kinnaman Spills Details on ROBOCOP Reboot

From Collider

If you wanted your half-human, half-robot super-cop to be more grounded in reality, well you’re in luck! Star Joel Kinnaman (The Killing) has teased some information about the RoboCop reboot directed by Jose Padilha (Elite Squad). Fans of the 1987 original by Paul Verhoeven will remember that Peter Weller starred as the titular hero, a cop revived with the use of state-of-the-art robotics and weaponry after a brutal murder at the hands of some ruthless criminals. The only thing you could see of Weller himself was a narrow band across his lower jaw. That won’t be the case in the reboot, says Kinnaman; we’ll even get to see RoboCop’s eyes! I wonder if this will be more or less reactive than the backlash to Michael Bay’s approach to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

In an interview with MTV News for the second season of AMC’s The Killing, Kinnaman first talked about his reaction to working with Padilha on the reboot:

“I’m super stoked. Especially with this director. José Padilha is a badass. He’s the real deal.”

Regarding the reality-based technology for the new RoboCop, Kinnaman revealed that Padilha’s father’s career as a scientist had influenced him:

“There’s a lot of neuroscience now raising the question, ‘Is all the intelligence in the human body in the brain?’ and they’re finding out that, no, it’s not like that. The body has intelligence itself, and we’re much more of an organic creature in that way. It’s not a control tower that does everything.”

So far, so good I guess. But what about the differences between the original and the re-imagined versions? Kinnaman addressed that as well:

“RoboCop is going to be a lot more human. The first movie is one of my favorite movies. I love it. Of course, Verhoeven has that very special tone, and it’s not going to have that tone. It’s a re-imagination of it. There’s a lot of stuff from the original. There are some details and throwbacks, but this version is a much better acting piece, for Alex Murphy and especially when he is RoboCop. It’s much more challenging.”

Now for the good stuff: details on the suit, as per Kinnaman:

“It’s not going to be jaw action. They’re still working on the suit and how it’s going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through. You’re going to see his eyes.”

It will be interesting to see if Kinnaman uses this to his advantage to portray the remaining human half of his robot persona, as this was a big part of the arcs in the original films. Regarding the scene that leads to the death of Alex Murphy and the genesis of RoboCop, Kinnaman teased:

“Yeah. It’s going to be different. But it’s very good. I was looking to do a big movie and to show that I can carry a big movie, and I couldn’t be happier that this is going to be one of those big movies, a blockbuster, but that is also a real movie. A movie-movie.”

And just for good measure:

“It’s going to have a political satire to it too.”

Personally I really like the shape this remake is taking :)

So...will this movie share elements with deus ex or iron man? I mean, with today's tech, there's no way a robocop from the 80s is gonna work. And would you guys want to see a robocop go all iron man/Adam Jensen?

I'm sceptical on this to be honest. A more human robocop? I don't want my robocop hamming it up to win an Oscar, nor do I want my robocop doing backflips. It's gonna be a hard sale for me. They need to find the perfect balance. Those that are familiar with the director...is this in good hands?

So now, not only do I have to listen to people describe zombies and billionaire playboys who dress as a bat to fight crime as being "grounded in reality", now I'm gonna be hearing it about robot cops too? Lovely. Can't wait.

Back