Red Sonja She-Devil with a Sword PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there is no mix media on this statue?All sculpted.

correct_chris_farley_billy_madison.gif

I mean, we can't forget Catwoman's eyes/saggy butt, but they've nailed a lot lately, and I have no reason to believe that this won't look as good as we can hope for a production piece to look.

I object sir... I am still trying to find my quarter :lol :lecture

I object sir... I am still trying to find my quarter :lol :lecture

:lol It's true, issues weren't all around. I think complaints and issues are talked about more than great sculpts, so it's easier to miss them or think it's ultra-wide spread. Either way, there have been issues, but I think moving towards fully sculpted pieces is smart, and with how Machiko's armor looks in her production photos, I think Red Sonja will be okay! :)

Here are some Machiko production shots for those who may not know how she's turned out. These are actual images of the statues being shipped out in the next handful of weeks:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In many ways she looks just as good, if not better than, the proto.

Being an Alien/Predator collector I'm well aware of shortcomings but i'm not going to say 'this is bound to turn out crap' the day after reveal.
I may say 'hope this turns out well'. :D

I know some of you see some actresses, but all I see is Red Sonja. Michelle Monaghan I admit I can see a little bit, but to me this is a pretty much perfect comic representation of Sonja. The sculpt is so good. SO good. I've saved every single picture taken of this piece.

she is guaranteed to NOT look like that when we receive it. Early "production" pictures released by SS mean nothing to me. Look at how wonder woman turned out.

There is a reason SS is going out of their way to mark each piece as a "prototype".

Having said that, I will order the exclusive and take my chances. I commend them for listening to collectors and giving us something so unique. But history has shown that very few statues (non mixed media) live up to the hype these days.

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read. Going out of their way?? Please man. I like you, but this comment is just dumb.

Those eyes will probably end up like the PF Poison Ivy...amazing prototype and dead-fish-eye production pieces. This makes me sad. If only there was an option where you could say: focus on the Sonja...paint the entire base black, I dun curr....just get the face right!!!

Green with Envy Ivy is awesome and full of life. If you're sad at seeing an incredible work of art prototype it's probably best to quit this hobby now.

I'm keeping positive. Some seem to want Sideshow to fail...

:exactly:

:lol It's true, issues weren't all around. I think complaints and issues are talked about more than great sculpts, so it's easier to miss them or think it's ultra-wide spread. Either way, there have been issues, but I think moving towards fully sculpted pieces is smart, and with how Machiko's armor looks in her production photos, I think Red Sonja will be okay! :)

Complaints and issues ALWAYS get better press than happy customers. The FB wolves just love to jump all over those. That's because most customers don't post every time they get something good. A brief mention of it maybe and then gone...but people don't care about happy people. They love to hate and point out over and over again that same picture showing the same issue with one statue and making the world believe it's a widespread problem.

In my opinion, Sideshow has been on a roll this year. Everything I got was perfect. Keaton Batman, Captain America Allied Charge, Queen of the Dead, Hellboy (2014, but got this year), Catwoman (perfect eyes and the so-called diaper problem was easily fixed if you knew how to futz and you just slid the suit up around the waist more), Green Ivy, White Widow... I'll have Lobo, Dawg, Conan, and Batgirl soon and so far they are all looking like home runs as well.

Someone just posted pics of a Batgirl they received. Looks fantastic!

11058151_10204752989127564_2155728854116232834_n.jpg

11709554_10204752990327594_4539449510286261986_n.jpg

11201196_10204752989847582_8347855345943547608_n.jpg

Red Sonja won't come out with the top dollar prototype paint job, but if she comes close to Machiko and Batgirl (and Lobo) production standards, then I'd say we're all winners!

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read. Going out of their way?? Please man. I like you, but this comment is just dumb.

Yeah, they're going out of their way to mark Prototype because there are actually a LOT (and I mean, we're an incredibly small fraction of collectors on these boards) of people who don't keep up with day to day news in this hobby. Lots of the statues on display are prototypes mixed with production releases. Such as Red Sonja and Lady Death being in a display case with a production piece of Vampirella. They state it so that people who may not know release dates, or what's new can tell which are which.

They should do a little battle damaged, like scratches wounds, torn outfit etc. No way she killed the giant snake unharmed. But it is still a very HOT statue!!!

Only reason they started doing that because people bashed their QC to what is on their site. Especially since they claimed a few are production pics. It's why they pump out those pics as well.

Don't know how many people here can remember my voluminous criticism of the original PF (complete with graphs and charts :eek: ).
You'll be happy to hear I won't be posting anything like that for this one. From what I can see so far, this looks truly outstanding and a HUGE step up in basic draftsmanship from the previous one.

This is exhibit A for what you should get when you have a skilled artist applying a well studied knowledge of movement and form to a fantasy scenario.

Not only that, but he hit on a great realistic portrait representation for the character too. And yeah, Michelle Monaghan was who I immediately thought of too when I first saw it. If that's who he actually used as reference, I would say it was an inspired choice. Not who I would have reflexively thought of as the ideal representation for Sonja, but it works beautifully here.

Only reason they started doing that because people bashed their QC to what is on their site. Especially since they claimed a few are production pics. It's why they pump out those pics as well.

They've been doing that forever, and it is quite standard for companies. The real issue IMO is that most other companies at least pick semi-realistic paint jobs. SS goes for the highest quality paint job possible and seemingly not care if it can be reproduced. Essentially just making a for show advertising piece that will pretty much never live up to the actual product.

By definition prototypes are generally actually WORSE then production in pretty much every industry but this one. That monikor is supposed to be used to sell something that is unfinished or not approved and susceptible to changes, not the false advertising that it is today :(

Last edited:
Don't know how many people here can remember my voluminous criticism of the original PF (complete with graphs and charts :eek: ).
You'll be happy to hear I won't be posting anything like that for this one. From what I can see so far, this looks truly outstanding and a HUGE step up in basic draftsmanship from the previous one.

This is exhibit A for what you should get when you have a skilled artist applying a well studied knowledge of movement and form to a fantasy scenario.

Not only that, but he hit on a great realistic portrait representation for the character too. And yeah, Michelle Monaghan was who I immediately thought of too when I first saw it. If that's who he actually used as reference, I would say it was an inspired choice. Not who I would have reflexively thought of as the ideal representation for Sonja, but it works beautifully here.

link to your review of previous sonja?

Back