Red Sonja She-Devil with a Sword PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not the main problem, people are just worried about the paint again like the 1st PF, that ruined an otherwise great piece.

That's what I'm waiting on. I guess there will be a rush to order (or cancel and wait for a discount) once Sideshow posts release pics.

Artgerm does great female anatomy but there's never any intensity in his facial expressions and he doesn't compose action scenes.

Please not Artgerm. Rather have Adam Hughes, Alex Ross or Dell Otto for Sonja.

When I think of great Red Sonja artwork in the modern era 2 cover artists come to mind, Adam Hughes and Frank Cho. They do her right. Did you ever see the AH! art book he did for SDCC from a few years ago with Sonja on the cover? It was titled Slayboy looked like a ancient issue of Playboy with Red Sonja on the cover.

Artgerm does great female anatomy but there's never any intensity in his facial expressions and he doesn't compose action scenes.

That is true. But he's also not very good in female anatomy, this Harley has giraffe neck and pinhead: https://orig07.deviantart.net/3ceb/f/2014/323/4/e/harley_dc_statue_by_artgerm-d86xs3w.jpg

also this Wonder Woman (pretend the hair is not there, look at the distance between her head and her shoulder):
https://65.media.tumblr.com/c402d12b951989efd1f3e02f7be51970/tumblr_nxzozdOTgz1sxqn4ko1_500.jpg

When I think of great Red Sonja artwork in the modern era 2 cover artists come to mind, Adam Hughes and Frank Cho. They do her right. Did you ever see the AH! art book he did for SDCC from a few years ago with Sonja on the cover? It was titled Slayboy looked like a ancient issue of Playboy with Red Sonja on the cover.

True! Cho can make great Sonja as well. He will love to draw the snake, because he loves dinosaurs and it's pretty close hahaha. Yes, I saw it, and it's awesome!

As other members have said, I think people are gun shy after the disastrous paint job on the first Red Sonja. If this red Sonja Paint application comes out close to prototype, there will be a mad rush to order her.

aw c'mon batsheva. He's pretty damn good at creating beautiful compositions. And you know that every artist has that picture that looks great as it's being done and then few weeks later you see it and think eeeek! long necked WW is just a slight error.

That is true. But he's also not very good in female anatomy, this Harley has giraffe neck and pinhead: https://orig07.deviantart.net/3ceb/f/2014/323/4/e/harley_dc_statue_by_artgerm-d86xs3w.jpg

also this Wonder Woman (pretend the hair is not there, look at the distance between her head and her shoulder):
https://65.media.tumblr.com/c402d12b951989efd1f3e02f7be51970/tumblr_nxzozdOTgz1sxqn4ko1_500.jpg

aw c'mon batsheva. He's pretty damn good at creating beautiful compositions. And you know that every artist has that picture that looks great as it's being done and then few weeks later you see it and think eeeek! long necked WW is just a slight error.

I agree with you and batsheva. I wish the major producers (SS, DCC, XM) didn't all turn to his work to base statues on, as it creates industry homogenization the same way as when Hollywood always defaults WETA for blockbuster franchises. But there have just as many cases when I've thought Artgerm's designs were superior to the statues as the opposite. It just depends on the companies to assign experienced sculptors like Mark Newman and John G. Matthews to take creative liberties that benefit the final product (I don't think XM has that sculptor yet, although their upcoming Top Cow pieces look great.) All that said, I preferred when Adam Hughes was the go-to designer for lines like Cover Girls of DCU and the Marvel comiquettes. Even masters like Shunya Yama****a reach a saturation point, but Hughes just seemed to be getting started until SS cancelled the Catwoman LSF Steve Schumacher was still tweaking.

Well, there's still plenty of other examples of his anatomical drawing errors, but I'm not going to point it all out here, as I know him personally as fellow artists. I do like some of his works, don't get me wrong, I just feel like his style doesn't fit in very well for Sonja. I'm thinking of a muscular and non manga looking Sonja, for the artprint. Artgerm will deliver the same body type and face for Sonja, which is what he did for almost all of his girls.

I agree with you and batsheva. I wish the major producers (SS, DCC, XM) didn't all turn to his work to base statues on, as it creates industry homogenization the same way as when Hollywood always defaults WETA for blockbuster franchises. But there have just as many cases when I've thought Artgerm's designs were superior to the statues as the opposite. It just depends on the companies to assign experienced sculptors like Mark Newman and John G. Matthews to take creative liberties that benefit the final product (I don't think XM has that sculptor yet, although their upcoming Top Cow pieces look great.) All that said, I preferred when Adam Hughes was the go-to designer for lines like Cover Girls of DCU and the Marvel comiquettes. Even masters like Shunya Yama****a reach a saturation point, but Hughes just seemed to be getting started until SS cancelled the Catwoman LSF Steve Schumacher was still tweaking.

I agree with you completely. :)

Like everyone I'm occasionally drawn to Artgerm's work but less and less as time goes by. TBH there are many other artists that draw sexier, more dynamic, and less generic women.

Like everyone I'm occasionally drawn to Artgerm's work but less and less as time goes by. TBH there are many other artists that draw sexier, more dynamic, and less generic women.

Yep I agree. His characters look so similar to each other and I see his works everywhere. I'm super tired of it.

artgerm is insanely talented. not sure where this negativity about his art came from. have you guys seen his other works that he does that fall outside of his comic work. he does other methods and styles that are mind blowing. i saw some of his charcoal portraits and its just mind numbing awesome.

artgerm is insanely talented. not sure where this negativity about his art came from. have you guys seen his other works that he does that fall outside of his comic work. he does other methods and styles that are mind blowing. i saw some of his charcoal portraits and its just mind numbing awesome.

Hate him because they ain't him :lol

Don't get me wrong, he is talented. And no, I personally don't hate his art, as I said before, some of his works are good. It's just that I don't prefer his art to be the source base for statue designs. And no, I don't want to be artgerm, I want to be more like Adam Hughes, or Alex Ross. If artgerm is insanely talented, then Adam and Ross are way way way more insane than him, talent wise.

I don't hate him, I did however offer some criticism. I said I like some of his stuff but recently not as often. There are other artists I think draw better action composition. I have yet to see a really great action panel from him. I also think he draws many of his female faces too neutral.

However I do like this image quite a bit:
AvPU7Lj.jpg

Back