Re-boot Fantastic Four?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really I don't think they did too bad with the look, it's just that the scripts sucked, all the people and the effects were great for the parts, but they weren't given good material.

And the Thing suit was fine to me, I don't know how they could really improve upon it with CG.

When they announced Fantastic Four, I thought we were going to have a "different" superhero movie. What makes the FF different from the rest, is that their identities are public knowledge and that leaves openings to make a great movie. But Tim Story & Co. decided to make two craptastic films instead. They should just let the FF die if were going to get more crap.

I loved the John Byrne run of the FF and would love to see someone capture that magic. The death of Dr Doom arc with Terrax was brilliant. When I first read it, I thought it would make the perfect movie. John Byrne really did a magnificent job with the story and art.

Anyway, a reboot of the movies gives me hope, especially since they're acknowledging that the first two were not "serious" enough. However, I would hardly call Iron Man "dark". I think the Thing in a suit could work, kinda like Mr Hyde in League of Ex Gents (okay, maybe not the best example, but you get the idea...). And I thought Chris Evans did a great job with Johnny. I think his Sunshine performance shows that he's got some chops. I also hated how they handled Dr Doom's origin and I expect them to fix it in the new movie. The comics laid it out perfectly, giving him perfectly understandable motivation for antagonizing the heroes.

I loved the John Byrne run of the FF and would love to see someone capture that magic. The death of Dr Doom arc with Terrax was brilliant. When I first read it, I thought it would make the perfect movie. John Byrne really did a magnificent job with the story and art.
I agree. Byrne's run on FF was really special, and if they weren't going with the Lee/Kirby 60s vibe, then I surely think this should be the target they should shoot for.

Anyway, a reboot of the movies gives me hope, especially since they're acknowledging that the first two were not "serious" enough. However, I would hardly call Iron Man "dark". I think the Thing in a suit could work, kinda like Mr Hyde in League of Ex Gents (okay, maybe not the best example, but you get the idea...). And I thought Chris Evans did a great job with Johnny. I think his Sunshine performance shows that he's got some chops. I also hated how they handled Dr Doom's origin and I expect them to fix it in the new movie. The comics laid it out perfectly, giving him perfectly understandable motivation for antagonizing the heroes.
:lecture

Not a big fan of the FF movies (in fact, I still haven't seen the second one) but if they could find a director who has as much love and enthusiasm for the source material as Nolan or Favreau this could be a pleasant surprise. I thought the whole FF casting was all wrong, with the exception of Chris Evans (who surprisingly has become one of the better younger actors working nowadays...as some stated earlier, he was great in Sunshine and he was also good in Push, although the movie itself wasn't too great). Chiklis was okay, I guess, but Ioan Gruffudd was meh and Jessica Alba was wrong as Sue Storm. And Doctor Doom is one of the GREAT Marvel supervillains and he should be treated as such in a movie version.

oh, so they're going to make the fantastic four "dark" now, are they?

since when was fantastic four ever a "dark" property?

fox is quite possibly the worst hollywood studio in the history of worst hollywood studios. they're a bunch of complete f---kin clueless idiots. they've already run the franchise into the ground once. now, instead of making the same mistakes, they're gonna make all-new ones. fantastic.

and i BET u my bottom dollar they're gonna go even younger with the casting, this time. yeah, young and hip, but dark and brooding. sure. that's EXACTLY the f4 right there. :banghead

fox's dream cast list:
reed richards = christopher mintz-plasse (mclovin)
johnny storm = zac efron
sue storm = miley cyrus
the thing = jonah hill

:duh

oh, so they're going to make the fantastic four "dark" now, are they?

since when was fantastic four ever a "dark" property?

fox is quite possibly the worst hollywood studio in the history of worst hollywood studios. they're a bunch of complete f---kin clueless idiots. they've already run the franchise into the ground once. now, instead of making the same mistakes, they're gonna make all-new ones. fantastic.

and i BET u my bottom dollar they're gonna go even younger with the casting, this time. yeah, young and hip, but dark and brooding. sure. that's EXACTLY the f4 right there. :banghead

fox's dream cast list:
reed richards = christopher mintz-plasse (mclovin)
johnny storm = zac efron
sue storm = miley cyrus
the thing = jonah hill

:duh

Would be somewhat decent cast for an Ultimate FF4 type of movie. They're younger in the Ultimates universe, right?

Myself I really liked Chris Evans as Johnny Storm (I like Evans in a lot of his roles, actually, great underrated actor) and Michael Chiklis gave a great performance as Thing (he just didn't look big enough). I'll miss those two. The rest of the cast I don't give a flying fork about.

Myself I really liked Chris Evans as Johnny Storm (I like Evans in a lot of his roles, actually, great underrated actor) and Michael Chiklis gave a great performance as Thing (he just didn't look big enough). I'll miss those two. The rest of the cast I don't give a flying fork about.

Agreed. Those two were perfect or nearly perfect and the taunting dynamic was perfection. Those scenes of Johnny torturing Ben in the first film were perfectly captured.

I don't think it needs a reboot. You really can't make this dark or like Iron Man, simply because the source material doesn't lend itself to it. A girl who becomes invisible, a guy who can fly and become fire, and another guy who can stretch super far. And they all wear matching costumes. I think the most believable is Thing, but again, it works with Iron Man, Hulk, even Spiderman, but I just don't think it works with the FF.

I liked the Fantastic Four movies. They could've been better, so I'm curious to see what's planned, but I really didn't think the two FF movies were "bad" at all.

ANYTHING can be made to be dark(Edit - The trick is to get a writer/director/actor group that can translate it well). There are other movies that have been given that treatment that were surprising.

I like the current FF movies and cast very much, but I will love to see a FF movie with a darker presentation to it just as much.

Back