Rank the SW trilogies (so far)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rank the SW trilogies

• ST>OT>PT

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • ST>PT>OT

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • OT>ST>PT

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • OT>PT>ST

Votes: 55 61.1%
  • PT>OT>ST

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • PT>ST>OT

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be brief about this, since I can (and have) talked about this all night, and this post could go to manifesto-level lengths.

I love all of the OT, even ROTJ.

As for the rest:

The Prequel Trilogy are pretty good stories made with all the competence of Helen Keller trying to perform surgery. Good sparks of ideas, beyond disasterous execution.

The Sequel Trilogy are terrible, ill conceived ideas at the core executed by competent hands about as well as you could reasonably hope given what they had to work with. Think Gordon Ramsey trying to make a meal out of dog***t. Regardless of the skill, there is only so much you could do to save it.

Last edited:
Every year the collective taste of this board seems to get worse and worse. More and more people seem to be adopting a motto of "hate everything" or even worse "hate the good stuff but praise crap." Luckily there is still great discussion to be had about films elsewhere, including The Last Jedi. I just don't know that this place is my scene anymore.

Sounds like you're upset because people don't agree with your taste... :dunno

Oh it's more than just being in the minority about liking any given thing. A big part of it is what greygoose said above and the fact that most of what's being posted these days is just complete nonsense. And then you've got perpetual noobs when it comes to any given topic (movies, Star Wars, etc.) waxing eloquent as if they were experts and getting praised for it. Too much blind leading the blind for my tastes.

Good idea about bouncing in and out with less and less frequency though. You've always been one of the good guys. :duff

Now you're getting a taste of what people who like BvS or the prequels have had to deal with through the years...

But I do agree that it's just sad when the "funny" memes and gifs become the pinnacle of intelligent discourse.
However, there's always a few intelligent discussions to be had. Just a few days ago I had quite an interesting conversation about the DCEU and MCU in the JL Superman thread. It was quite refreshing.

This may change after I see TLJ for the second time, but for now I've decided to rank it last.

Sure, it has its Empire-like moments of greatness, but overall it's just not a great SW film.

1. ESB
  2. ANH
  3. ROTJ
  4. ROTS
  5. TFA
  6. RO
  7. AOTC
  8. TPM
  9. TLJ

One thing that's amazing about TLJ is the way that Luke paraphrased the fall of the Jedi and rise of the Empire. He did it so masterfully that I actually found myself halfway accepting the events of prequels as being legit even if I dismiss the films themselves. Like Luke made it fine that basically the narrative of the PT was sound even if in my personal mental canon they would have played out with different actors, dialogue, etc., if that makes any sense.

Oh alright, I'll say it ;)

giphy.gif

My main problem with TLJ was that it didn't live up to its responsibility as the middle part of the trilogy. It disregarded the questions posed by TFA and didn't leave anything hanging for IX.

I know right. :lol The pissed and matter of fact way Luke summarized the whole PT literally gave them more credence than six hours worth of films by George Lucas.

I only recently read that Lucas admitted he only had the concept for ROTS, the others were filler. Probably explains why ROTS is the most OT-like. I guess fans expected nothing less than a trilogy.

Still no excuse for The Hobbit tho.

At this point, my ranking is this:

Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Force Awakens
Last Jedi
Rogue One
Prequels

I acknowledge that my ranking of Jedi is influenced by Nostalgia. But so what? I think Force awakens and Last Jedi are roughly equivalent for different reasons. But I'll give Force awakens The Edge at this point. Neither are films I love, or plan on revisiting anytime soon. But they were well-made, reasonably well acted by most of the cast. And a fun way to spend some time. I'm not a fan of Rogue one as I think it's the height of fanservice, which is a problem in general with geek film properties. Force awakens was also a victim of this of course. But not to the extent that Rogue one was in my mind. The prequels are films I just don't enjoy, they make me cringe, I didn't like them when they first were released, and I don't ever feel compelled to really watch them anymore. So, they go at the bottom of my list. Though I do agree with the earlier poster who said that at least they had some interesting ideas. That's one of the things that I actually liked About Last Jedi, and that salvages it from the problematic story. But good ideas that aren't well-executed aren't enough to push a film way up on my list of likes.

Weird how the voice recognition on my phone seems to capitalize words at random here.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

After seeing TLJ, here's my new rankings. The only one not included here is RO since I haven't seen it.

ANH/ESB- Great (I'm not really a SW fan but even I recognize these as great movies)
ROTJ - Good (minus the Ewoks and Jabba... I really hate those guys)

ROTS - OK (It's not a well-made movie but it had an OK narrative)
TFA - Meh (just ANH clone, only part I liked was Kylo)

TLJ- Hot garbage (words don't describe it but Kylo was OK)

AOTC - Hot garbage (words don't describe this either)

Diarrhea

Explosive diarrhea

Wait for it...

TPM - Worst movie ever made; it gave me eye cancer (sans Maul)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back