QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to be on par with sideshow there. Final product could totally fail, be alright or even fail.

I thought this looked great in person at SDCC, here's hoping QMX can deliver with production.

Looking at those latest pictures I'm going to have to be a debbie downer and agree that they do look underwhelming. The paint job and likeness on the headsculpt looks poor. It looks like a Sideshow figure. It's not that bad, but not that great either. It looks just decent, but the final product usually is a step down in quality than the prototype..

Looking at those latest pictures I'm going to have to be a debbie downer and agree that they do look underwhelming. The paint job and likeness on the headsculpt looks poor. It looks like a Sideshow figure. It's not that bad, but not that great either. It looks just decent, but the final product usually is a step down in quality than the prototype..

I saw the figure in person at Dallas Comic Con and it was anything but underwhelming. I think from certain angles it looks a little off (like the hair being high on the back of his head) but overall it's a great figure. There's nothing in the way that it looks that would stop me from buying it. People are going to either like it enough to buy it or they won't (just like with any figure), but I think you'd be missing out on a great figure if you decide not to pick it up.

A couple pics I took in Dallas--pretty sure I already posted these but he looks awesome so up they go again.

firefly full 2 (427x640).jpg

firefly mal close (427x640).jpg

firefly close left (427x640).jpg

firefly mal close right (427x640).jpg

I'm not a Firefly fan, but to me that sculpt looks like Nathan Fillion. I know people have spent a lot of money, time and effort on producing their own customs for Firefly, so I think it's great now that there is another alternative.

I also think that if this had been a custom people would be saying how great it is, yet when it's from a company, there's always something to nitpick about.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be a lot of happy Firefly fans adding this to their collection.

In Dallas it looked phenomenal. SDCC it looked like sideshow from 2 to 3 years ago.

Well, I'll reserve final judgement until I see some in hand pictures. The likeness is there, it definitely resembles Nathan. But it looks a bit cartoonish, it reminds me of Sideshow's Obi-Wan TPM figure. I guess I was just blinded by the fact that we were getting a Mal figure that I overlooked any flaws with the figure. Until now that I could settle down a bit and look at it objectively.

I'm not a Firefly fan, but to me that sculpt looks like Nathan Fillion. I know people have spent a lot of money, time and effort on producing their own customs for Firefly, so I think it's great now that there is another alternative.

I also think that if this had been a custom people would be saying how great it is, yet when it's from a company, there's always something to nitpick about.

Yes but thats fair enough.
A full company with its own manufacturing line should be way better quality than 99% of customs. There should be no comparison.
(Unless we are talking extreme high end customs like Serang or Kato tailoring which costs as much as 5+ figures on their own...)

It definitely looks like a Sideshow figure (look at the recent Hot Han and Luke for a fairly close comparison) as opposed to say ...HT's recently revealed Starlord
but that's not a bad thing, it'll look nice enough on the shelf.

I assume the Dallas one was the prototype and the SDCC one was production if they were different?

I think it was strictly the photography making them look different, actually. And my rule on 1/6 photography is, always base judgement off of the better picture, it's so easy to make 1/6 figures look terrible in photos.

Back