QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started re-watching Firefly again yesterday as well.

It's still as good as ever. Love the relationships between the characters and the snappy dialogue. That and the world Whedon created for them.

The way the characters play off each other makes a 1/6 Firefly collection the perfect candidate for 'team building'. Hope the project doesn't falter the way Hot Toys' Sucker Punch 'team' faltered after two releases!

Sorry for being off topic, but could you enlightened me to what happened to that? I never watched the movie despite owning it on blu.

Would love them to do Battlestar Galactica, I know they've had the license of other things from them before.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That would be a dream come true. Firefly and the New Battlestar Galactica are without a doubt my most beloved sci-fi shows of all time...and QMX have got the licenses for both.

Now that the Firefly crew seems a go, the main characters of Galactica are next on my wishlist. As SwedishHeat said Starbuck in pilot suit/tanks would be a must have, but we also need a Edward James Olmos as Adama in his duty blue uniform. Just imagine what Trevor could do with this face :yess:

Edward-James-Olmos.jpg

I'd like it to be River as well, but I don't think I'd be too disappointed if it was Kaylee, Zoe, or Inara.

I don't really know that much about Firefly, but I did watch Serenity, & remember liking it.

Andy, can you tell us what the base is going to look like? I know you said it has the standard clips that go around his waist, but what about the base itself? Standard oval? Rectangular? Unique design? Logo on base, etc?

I think it's Zoe.. We've seen Jayne's head sculpt, so I'm assuming he's next. Zoe rounds out the three that usually go on on the missions.

Being a "dealer", sometimes you tend to get burnt out on new figures, and having to call things "Heavy Armored Special Cop" or "Revenger" or "Crossbow Warrior". Seeing QMx (and threezero) jump into the licensed figure fray and really giving these properties their due is really fun to see, and I hope it leads to great things for all these manufacturers releasing these figures.

And hopefully no licensing roadblocks, smooth approvals process for everyone ;)

Agreed. It is a bit tedious to constantly have to track down unlicensed or custom versions of any character I care remotely for, because they're too niche to be worth Hot Toys' time.

As for the next female character--Zoe all the way!

After Jayne, I'm hoping for Zoe, too. :pray: But really, I'll take anybody!

But if they really want to do the whole crew, I wonder if they might consider not front-loading the releases with all the most popular characters first. Might be a good strategy to start dropping in some of the characters that may be less popular with collectors every other release. (I'm in for the whole crew, but I could see Book, Simon, Inara and maybe Kaylee possibly having less of a market.)

Just a thought.

Like others, I really respect QMx for going after this license, and freshening up the game, but I worry about the female figures. We saw the debacle that BCS got into with their female figure. They're really hard to get right, plus they sell in much smaller numbers than male figures. So, the financial incentive to develop those female characters isn't there.

From what I'm reading here, it seems like QMx is building their figures on OEM bodies, so I'd imagine it's something much like the un-branded Narrow Shoulder bodies that are scattered across eBay. And as karamazov mentioned in the Kill Bill thread, all female bodies suck (his opinion, not mine ;) ) so I'm not sure what OEM female body QMx would use. I think they're going to HAVE to make Jayne after Mal and maybe that would give them enough time to dig into the female body issue. Obviously, if we have to get to Wash or Book before River or Zoe are released, that's going to be a bit scary, but it looks as though QMx is passionate enough about it, not for that to be an issue.

Like others, I really respect QMx for going after this license, and freshening up the game, but I worry about the female figures. We saw the debacle that BCS got into with their female figure. They're really hard to get right, plus they sell in much smaller numbers than male figures. So, the financial incentive to develop those female characters isn't there.

From what I'm reading here, it seems like QMx is building their figures on OEM bodies, so I'd imagine it's something much like the un-branded Narrow Shoulder bodies that are scattered across eBay. And as karamazov mentioned in the Kill Bill thread, all female bodies suck (his opinion, not mine ;) ) so I'm not sure what OEM female body QMx would use. I think they're going to HAVE to make Jayne after Mal and maybe that would give them enough time to dig into the female body issue. Obviously, if we have to get to Wash or Book before River or Zoe are released, that's going to be a bit scary, but it looks as though QMx is passionate enough about it, not for that to be an issue.

If you look at a lot of the Firefly customs they look great on the bodies chosen. Surely if we were able to get it right on our customs, QMx will be able to do it better.

You might have me confused with someone else, SH. I'm far from an expert on female 1/6 bodies! Sounds like something Raymond Farraro or PopCultKid would say, though.

You might have me confused with someone else, SH. I'm far from an expert on female 1/6 bodies! Sounds like something Raymond Farraro or PopCultKid would say, though.

My apologies, I was referring to your post in the BrBa thread in which you were paraphrasing others' opinions. I forgot the context of your statement.

Yeah, supposedly the male bodies being used are the same ones used for the Cowboy. And if so, they were fine IMO. No real complaints from customers about that. Female bodies apparently all suck, so there wasn't much that they could do.

The gist being that female figures are lagging years behind their male counterparts are far as realism and development goes. Everyone expects Hot Toys quality on everything, and this is why I'm so pleased to see more entrants into the market. Perhaps we can shake this misguided theory that Hot Toys is a bar we should measure everything else against. No one buys a car based upon how it performs next to a Maybach or a Rolls Royce, so why do people insist upon using terms like "HT quality". . . no one says "The seats in my Honda are Maybach quality", or "My HTC screen is iPhone quality". Every time I read someone say " such and such is not quite Hot Toys quality", I have the urge to reach through my screen and throttle the poster.

Surely if we were able to get it right on our customs, QMx will be able to do it better.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Custom figures is a completely different ball game from mass production. Most Firefly customs that I saw were built on HT female bodies, I don't know whether that was customer preference or lack of familiarity with the female bodies available. But it's highly unlikely that QMx is going to use Hot Toys bodies on their figures. Custom figures are just that, making a figure the best you can in your own eyes, and you have no limits other than how much you want to reasonably spend on the project. QMx cannot just go buy 1000 Cuban TTF bodies for Zoe, they'll either have to make their own, which would cost tens of thousands of dollars, or try to source an existing OEM body that will undoubtedly be regarded as "inferior".

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Custom figures is a completely different ball game from mass production. Most Firefly customs that I saw were built on HT female bodies, I don't know whether that was customer preference or lack of familiarity with the female bodies available. But it's highly unlikely that QMx is going to use Hot Toys bodies on their figures. Custom figures are just that, making a figure the best you can in your own eyes, and you have no limits other than how much you want to reasonably spend on the project. QMx cannot just go buy 1000 Cuban TTF bodies for Zoe, they'll either have to make their own, which would cost tens of thousands of dollars, or try to source an existing OEM body that will undoubtedly be regarded as "inferior".

The response from the company is that they are going to be very similar to Hot Toys.

Hey there Karamazov - excellent question. The body is based on a high-end open source design that we modified to fit the needs of the figure. It's got 38 points of articulation and the standard connection points for hands, feet and head. It should be very close to what you'd expect from a Hot Toys True Type body.

And thanks for the applause. We figure we should treat our customers the way we'd like to be treated. Seems like someone should make that a rule. Maybe even a golden one ;-)

Now if you want to make assumptions otherwise with absolutely zero knowledge of what the company's bodies are like, have at it. And honestly if your speculation about the bodies did come true there are plenty of replacement bodies out there to swap with. Bodies are easy to come by, it's the rest of the parts that are difficult board wring on impossible.

Agreed. I could never blame any company for their less than ideal female figures because in reality they are hard to get right. I will always swap the bodies of the females figures I have for a better one, and I'll repaint my figures myself or even do some DIY resculpting if necessary. I plan to do the same with the Firefly line if if comes to that but in all honesty, I believe QMX will deliver and I doubt it's any reason to be concerned at the moment.

Here are some of my work:

Before:
ag0b.jpg

After:
14197375835_3636e30a79_c.jpg

Before:
indz.jpg

After:
attachment.php

Before:
14253301421_67a51fc0b1_c.jpg

After:
12671565403_62453c02c8_c.jpg

Last edited:
Andy, can you tell us what the base is going to look like? I know you said it has the standard clips that go around his waist, but what about the base itself? Standard oval? Rectangular? Unique design? Logo on base, etc?

The version I've seen just has a plan black oval base, but that may not be final. I'll check with the project lead and see what he's thinking.

BTW, sorry for missing a few days here. Things went quiet on the thread so I didn't check back until just now. My mistake!

Back