PSP 2 Rumors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like it. It just shows how easily Sony acquiesced to the status quo smart phone-esque interface that's currently dominating the market thanks to Android, iPhone and iPad (among others).

There was very little wrong with the XMB interface. Could've used some streamlining, but I really like how straightforward and utilitarian it was. It worked and didn't need a new revision every year a la Xbox 360 dashboard.

Looks amazing but people can't afford this. If it were a phone? Maybe. But just a portable PS3 just seems crazy. And this is full download right? So no reselling of games?

Just looks like Sony wants to blow a whole lot of money for no reason.

I don't like it. It just shows how easily Sony acquiesced to the status quo smart phone-esque interface that's currently dominating the market thanks to Android, iPhone and iPad (among others).

There was very little wrong with the XMB interface. Could've used some streamlining, but I really like how straightforward and utilitarian it was. It worked and didn't need a new revision every year a la Xbox 360 dashboard.

Have you watched the video walkthrough of the interface?
The icons admittedly look a little cheap but the transitions are extremely slick and everything moves very fluidly.
The XMB works very well with a stick/d-pad but this interface looks far more appropriate for a touch screen device.

Looks amazing but people can't afford this. If it were a phone? Maybe. But just a portable PS3 just seems crazy. And this is full download right? So no reselling of games?

Just looks like Sony wants to blow a whole lot of money for no reason.

No, it is not download only. Games will come on proprietary flash based memory cards which will also have additional space available for saves and add-on content. That means that if you put your game into a friend’s NGP all your saves and DLC will carry over as well, Nice.

How can you say people can’t afford it when a price has not yet been announced? Obviously it's not going to be cheap, but people can always find the money if the hardware and software is compelling enough to justify it.

I will pick it up if its in the $250 range any more than that and its an easy pass for me. I just dont play the portable systems enough to warrant a purchase.

How can you say people can’t afford it when a price has not yet been announced? Obviously it's not going to be cheap, but people can always find the money if the hardware and software is compelling enough to justify it.

Based on the new hardware alone (screen and touchpads) this system will be around $500-600. All of the analysts were saying that Nintendo was crazy to try to sell a system in the $250-300 price range at this time. It just seems crazy.

I remember the exact same discussion happening when the PS3 was announced. Nobody really expected them to set it at $600 and almost everyone was shocked when they did.

This will be up there and I be most of us will be floored by this thing's ridiculously high price tag.

I remember the exact same discussion happening when the PS3 was announced. Nobody really expected them to set it at $600 and almost everyone was shocked when they did.

This will be up there and I be most of us will be floored by this thing's ridiculously high price tag.

Based on the severe amt of money lost by Sony regarding the PS3 launch, you'd think they wouldnt do this again. Love the Japanese, but they can be arrogant in their thinking sometimes

Except that never happened. Sony didn't start seeing any success with the PS3 until they dropped the price.

edit: I misread the post thinking that THX was arguing the $600 price point was a success. Hence the snarky "Except that never happened"...

Last edited:
Except that never happened. Sony didn't start seeing any success with the PS3 until they dropped the price.

:lecture Exactly. I didn't buy one until after 2 price drops, and an announcement that they'd no longer support BC on their newer models. A console priced in the $400-500 range is a tough sale for me so a handheld is most certainly unacceptable.

Based on the severe amt of money lost by Sony regarding the PS3 launch, you'd think they wouldnt do this again. Love the Japanese, but they can be arrogant in their thinking sometimes

Lol...yeah, I'm guessing Sony still thinks they're untouchable. If MS makes a portable it's going to get messy.

For both of these reasons I really can't believe the Sony investors are happy with this system coming. They will have hell to pay after the first fiscal year when this thing comes out. If the system is cheap, they will be taking a huge loss on the hardware alone.

Sony believes in the 10-year plan. The PS3 is still in third place though.

Have you watched the video walkthrough of the interface?
The icons admittedly look a little cheap but the transitions are extremely slick and everything moves very fluidly.
The XMB works very well with a stick/d-pad but this interface looks far more appropriate for a touch screen device.

I've watched most of the video materials regarding this thing, so yeah I've seen the interface in motion. Still don't like it. It looks like the interface of a cheap hong kong bootleg PSP.

Hmm, am I missing something? So this system uses no sort of memory device (for things like music, themes, movies)?

Hmm, am I missing something? So this system uses no sort of memory device (for things like music, themes, movies)?

Sony hasn't been talking about that. I don't think they themselves havent decided what method of memory storage to implement on the thing. I hope it's expandable memory like on the first PSP and 3DS, but the possibility of non-removable internal memory exists.

Last edited:
Back