POLL: All in favor of a new base body!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Want a new base body?

• Yes, a new, more proportional, body.

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • Nah. Art S. Buck is fine with me.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
What Fubeca said.

I fully admit, that when I go to the trouble of taking off a figure's pants in order to iron them, then that fiure has become a doll.

So, let me get this straight...

We're all grown men looking forward to a Snow Bunny Padme Doll?

I can live with that. :monkey1

IrishJedi said:
So, let me get this straight...

We're all grown men looking forward to a Snow Bunny Padme Doll?

I can live with that. :monkey1

Yep. Pretty much. Although I imagine each of us has a different notion as to what he (or she) will do with said Snow Bunny Dolly when it arrives.:maul

Progress is good, so I'm down for a new body...but I don't think the existing bodies are terrible...but improvement in anything is always a good thing.

seems like the poll is for New Body :) but, if SS do upgrade their body, wouldn't the price go up more than just $5? i mean, the HT figures are $110-200 a piece correct? ...what made you guys think that SS will only increase their value for $5? :confused:

TOE said:
seems like the poll is for New Body :) but, if SS do upgrade their body, wouldn't the price go up more than just $5? i mean, the HT figures are $110-200 a piece correct? ...what made you guys think that SS will only increase their value for $5? :confused:

Thats my main concern...I would love to have a new SS body, but there is no way I could swing paying $100+ per figure...Just paying $60+ a figure is getting tougher. With the amount that SS is putting out I would have to cut back quite a bit....

Hot Toys' prices aren't going UP when they introduce these new bodies. They're staying the same. Their prices are based on how many figures they sell, which is substantially less than Sideshow. Their development cost on a figure likely isn't any less than Sideshow(probably higher, considering the difference in quality of accessories), but they have to spread that cost across fewer figures. Which equals higher prices. But they're still not going up.

Costing this out is similar to what I tried to argue when people were talking about how much a 1/6 scale Yoda should cost. Many toy companies, most smaller than Sideshow, can afford to design, sculpt, and tool a figure with 30+ points of articulation, at a $15 pricepoint, while selling less than 10,000 pieces of that figure(actually SOTA, the company that explained all this, has a breakeven point of 7500 figures or so, but they're a very small company, so I'm bumping it up). That 10,000 breakeven number drops when the company is getting the full retail price instead of wholesale to retailers.

Now, those are not 12" figures. More like 6". But the cost differences in tooling a 30+ points of articulation body with high detail at six inch does not sound necessarily easier or cheaper to do than a very simple generic body with 30+POA at 12". Steel tooling is steel tooling, and undetailed tubes don't sound like they'd be difficult to do, relatively.

Sideshow produces how many 12" figures a year? A couple hundred thousand, if you look at all the runs of all the figures in all the lines. Some have minor differences, but by and large they're the same bodies. They can amortize the cost of an upgrade over the hundreds of thousands of figures they produce every year. If they add $5 a figure to pay for such an increase, then that's over a million dollars. Which would be a ridiculous amount of money to spend on designing, sculpting, and tooling a new body. Especially since they wouldn't have to update it every year, so every year the cost of the new body decreases to next to nothing. Even in year one it'd likely be under a dollar per figure(and remember these are all $50+ now).

Sideshow can do it, they can afford to do it without raising prices, we want them to do it, now we just need to see if they are WILLING to do it.

i would be all for a new updated body...maybe something on par with the hot toys (best imo for holding poses) or dragon one or at least something that added a little bit of bulk to the frame so the hips didn't look so emaciated. as far as sculpting and outfits i think ssc is as nice as any of the high end 1/6th scale companies (anakin is just friggin' awesome) but i don' think their bodies are as nice. i have never taken a dragon or hot toys figure, done a head swap and put all their gear on a sideshow body but i have taken a sideshow figure, switched heads and gear to a bbi, hot toys or dragon body.

TOE said:

Don't forget that cost is because the Hot Toys figures are "licensed" and imported figures that were originally for only Asian markets, they aren't manufactured by Sideshow. Therefore, they cost Sideshow more than their own licenses do and have to charge more for the Hot Toys to recoup their costs.

The major factor in the price of a 1/6 scale figure after the edition size (and I think an original head sculpt), is the clothing. Updating the base body shouldn't have much impact on the price of Sideshow figures, especially since the cost of development would be spread over all their 1/6 releases.
Like I said we've been asking Sideshow to update their bodies for a few years now, the end result is the new big boy body, short POTA body, and better designed wrist pins that did little to fix the basic Sideshow body's problems (too many to go into now, but I did save my laundry list article I wrote for the original thread).
I feel if there was any time to update the basic body, it would be now.

And welcome to the board Callous! I'm really looking forward to the Triad bodies!
:welcome

Thanks screaming metal. This board is very active it'll be difficult for me to keep up here. The triad bodies should be a fun addition to the what's already on the market but they won't replace anything just add another alternative. When SSC does release a new body it'll be great but I'm sure we'll still find things to nit pick over. In the meantime I don't mind taking what they do have to offer and altering it to meet my standards, that's half the fun after all.

bluesparrow said:
Hot Toys' prices aren't going UP when they introduce these new bodies. They're staying the same. Their prices are based on how many figures they sell, which is substantially less than Sideshow. Their development cost on a figure likely isn't any less than Sideshow(probably higher, considering the difference in quality of accessories), but they have to spread that cost across fewer figures. Which equals higher prices. But they're still not going up.

Costing this out is similar to what I tried to argue when people were talking about how much a 1/6 scale Yoda should cost. Many toy companies, most smaller than Sideshow, can afford to design, sculpt, and tool a figure with 30+ points of articulation, at a $15 pricepoint, while selling less than 10,000 pieces of that figure(actually SOTA, the company that explained all this, has a breakeven point of 7500 figures or so, but they're a very small company, so I'm bumping it up). That 10,000 breakeven number drops when the company is getting the full retail price instead of wholesale to retailers.

Now, those are not 12" figures. More like 6". But the cost differences in tooling a 30+ points of articulation body with high detail at six inch does not sound necessarily easier or cheaper to do than a very simple generic body with 30+POA at 12". Steel tooling is steel tooling, and undetailed tubes don't sound like they'd be difficult to do, relatively.

Sideshow produces how many 12" figures a year? A couple hundred thousand, if you look at all the runs of all the figures in all the lines. Some have minor differences, but by and large they're the same bodies. They can amortize the cost of an upgrade over the hundreds of thousands of figures they produce every year. If they add $5 a figure to pay for such an increase, then that's over a million dollars. Which would be a ridiculous amount of money to spend on designing, sculpting, and tooling a new body. Especially since they wouldn't have to update it every year, so every year the cost of the new body decreases to next to nothing. Even in year one it'd likely be under a dollar per figure(and remember these are all $50+ now).

Sideshow can do it, they can afford to do it without raising prices, we want them to do it, now we just need to see if they are WILLING to do it.

very well put Bluesparrow.

The body has problems, yes, but I'm not sure why everyone thinks they are so below-par. Dragon's been around longer, and I don't see them rushing to fix their body, which is not nearly as cool as the Sideshow.

Hasbro briefly updated their body with double joints, but that faded out pretty quickly.

The issues I have with the body are small, and don't really kill the displayability for me.

If I could revise:
1. Cut waist
2. Better ball in the chest cavity
3. Better musculature (with an ass)
4. Wider range in the neck.

In spite of the shortcomings, I still think it's a fine body.

Oh, I don't think we're saying it's BAD, mikey. Or at least, I'm not. I wouldn't be buying them if I thought that. But with so much competition for my money these days in this scale, I need to consider all the factors.

Sideshow has the best headsculpts in the business, the best licenses, they're right up there with the best in terms of outfits, accessories are getting pretty good, but their body type isn't up to the standards of the rest of the figure(let alone their top competitors). And again, it's not a bad body. But they've increased the quality to such a degree in the other aspects that the body's flaws stand in stark contrast.

You had a good point in this or another thread about people posing the figure poorly, and this making the body seem to be worse than it is. Which is true. I can usually find a good pose that diminishes the negatives of the Sideshow body. It just takes a while, with lots of tweaking. What I think a lot of us are thinking is, should we have to spend so much time and effort to get a satisfactory-looking figure?

Han looked awful out of the box when I got him. Scrawny body all over. I've got him next to Luke now in a very nice pose(imo). But it's the only pose I've found where his appearance looks good to me. The Jedi had it easier because their robes covered their body(except Luke and his arms). Others pose easier, or the body or outfit cover their bodies better, like Subject 5 and George Washington(my two favorite 1/6 figures).

People often make comments when they see your customs like "why can't Sideshow make MY figure look like that?!" which as you yourself point out, is impossible on a mass produced figure. However the body is one aspect where they can improve the entire run of the figure themselves.

I don't know when Sideshow introduced their current body(I've never heard of an earlier one) but I think to stay creatively a step ahead of the competition it may be time for a change. And to be realistic, in the United States, Sideshow has next to no competition. Hot Toys, Dragon, BBi, if they steal customers away from Sideshow it's a question of a few hundred people at most. Sideshow doesn't need to update it's body to still be the largest 1/6 company. But I think they do need to if they want to continue being the best.

bluesparrow said:

Sideshow! To Bluesparrow you listen!

I only got a couple of 12" - very well done, but a new body would have improved them IMO
:rolleyes:

Back