POLL: All in favor of a new base body!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Want a new base body?

• Yes, a new, more proportional, body.

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • Nah. Art S. Buck is fine with me.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
EVILFACE said:
I just want to see some better articulation and the ability to swing the shoulders back like Hot Toys and BBI.

I do not want to loose articulation for better looking bodies though. I want ACTION figures, not statues.

Word. I totally agree.

callous said:
They don't really need to update their bodies because those who really don't like em can always swap them out in favor of whatever body type they like best.

yes, but i don't care much about having to spend more money buying nude bodies to switch these for. good nudes can be pricey, and i dont mean cheap ones like Dragon that are just about on par w/ SS in terms of articulation. i'd love a new base bod. can't stand the fact that all my X-file figs came w/ cell phones and can't even assume the pose to use them. arm just won't bend that far. so a new bod would help w/ all SS figs.
i'd love ball jointed ankles and greater ROM at the neck and elbows!!

Customikey said:
Irish, although I agree with you on some points, I don't think the situation is as dire as you're making it out to be.

Well, I wouldn't call it "dire", either. That would suggest it's of life and death importance and I am well aware that we are talking about collectible toys here. :lol

But it IS frustrating as all hell, because the Art S Buck bodies (and some of the factory paint apps) are really holding these figure back.

Why is everyone calling these the Art S Buck bodies?

These bodies were made looooooooooong before SS began offering them as art models ala Art S Buck.

EVILFACE said:
I just want to see some better articulation and the ability to swing the shoulders back like Hot Toys and BBI.

I do not want to loose articulation for better looking bodies though. I want ACTION figures, not statues.

As do I. But I don't see why a better propotioned body would automatically mean we must lose articulation. We can have BOTH (look at Hot Toys and the Takara Batman).

Also, as has just pointed out the SSC bodies are lacking in articulation themselves. Ever tried to have Mulder or Scully use their cell phone? Good luck with that!

EVILFACE said:

These bodies were made looooooooooong before SS began offering them as art models ala Art S Buck.

It works as shorthand, I think.

EVILFACE said:

What should we call them then, "Inferior Current SSC Bodies"?

It's much easier and more politically correct to just blame them on Art Buck. :rolleyes:

IrishJedi said:
It's much easier and more politically correct to just blame them on Art Buck. :rolleyes:

For those who are unaware, there is no person named Art S. Buck. The original wooden models that Sideshow is trying to replace with their multicultural nudes were called artist bucks, hence the name.

IrishJedi said:
As do I. But I don't see why a better propotioned body would automatically mean we must lose articulation. We can have BOTH (look at Hot Toys and the Takara Batman).

Also, as has just pointed out the SSC bodies are lacking in articulation themselves. Ever tried to have Mulder or Scully use their cell phone? Good luck with that!

But it is also 2 fold. While Hot Toys body rocks, Superman looks awesome with is skin tight outfit while Batman looks too bulky because of it. While the loose clothed Jedi look great on the SS body. I'm sure Vader and figures like Storm Troopers will rock on SS bodies as well. They could just some improved movement.

EVILFACE said:
But it is also 2 fold. While Hot Toys body rocks, Superman looks awesome with is skin tight outfit while Batman looks too bulky because of it. While the loose clothed Jedi look great on the SS body. I'm sure Vader and figures like Storm Troopers will rock on SS bodies as well. They could just some improved movement.

That's fine. And you bring up a good point. SSC can continue to use the current base bodies for certain figures (armored characters, Jedi with lots of clothing, etc) but really need to come up with something more proportional for everything else.

Customikey said:
Yup. I call her the ever-tolerant one. Whenever I doubt her patience, I remember that she lets me keep the neca Balrog.
Yeah, I have one of those as well. It's why I get to keep my lifesize Yoda. :)

At least the SS bodies aren't as bad as this:
226113613_e93b6ca4f8_o.jpg

"Is that waist articulation you have in your pants or are you just happy to see us?"

IrishJedi said:
Well, so far this poll clearly indicates that you and Dave are in the minority.

Well, polls means crap really. They mean nothing in politics or other "real" world events so all this is a suggestion.

IrishJedi said:
Most of us want better base bodies ASAP.

Well, I wouldn't use the word most. There are a few votes in this but no way a consensus. Though if they do something that makes them better I'm all for it. I just don't see it as a "have" to do something.

IrishJedi said:
And the reason we want them is simple: the figures will look much better.

You mean in your opinion they would look better. There is no fact they would. It's all a matter of opinion. Some might not feel the same.

IrishJedi said:
Dude, you're completely missing the point. When you pay $60 for a figure you should not have to shell out another $30 and swap it out to make it look proportional.

The only ones who do that are ones who feel they need to.

IrishJedi said:
SSC can and SHOULD make changes to the base bodies used for these figures.

SS CAN if they want if they feel they need to. should though? I don't know.

Dig the sig, Irish.

I notice a lot of people bandying Takara and Medicom about, like those figures are available at a reasonable price or something. It's a different echelon of collecting. I own ONE medicom figure- ROTJ Vader. Love him, but I aint paying that much for a single figure ever again.

I think Medicom, Hot Toys and Takara figures are all hideously overpriced. But that doesn't mean that their base figures are the reason. I think they're just priced too high overall.

Last edited:
IrishJedi said:
I think Medicom, Hot Toys and Takara figures are all hideously overpriced. But that doesn't mean that their base figures are the reason. I think they're just priced too high overall.

100% agreed.

Back