Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know the one s price, but keeping the price down is what i heard through various podcasts discussing the issue. they might be wrong but its just what i took away from the situation

( and it could simply be the parts in the one s are far cheaper than the ps4 pro )

i might actually buy an S myself

Yup. The father of the god damn format will not include it in its console, while the competition, does. Have you seen the deals online for the Xbone S? Free controllers, free movie and a game for less than retail sometimes.

I have a PS4 already, and I'm needed a 4K BD player. Streaming isn't enough when fiber internet is still not as wide as some say.

I'm getting an S, sorry Sony. But I'm sure you don't give a ****.
Agreed, it's absurd for Sony of all companies to leave out 4k blu-ray; I half-expected this mid-generation cycle to be more about UHD Blu-ray than anything else, as it would be embarrassing for the maker of blu-ray, who sells 4k televisions and releases 4k films on 4k blu-ray, to go 6-8years without their flagship console offering 4k blu-ray.

And for the record, streaming wouldn't be enough even if we ALL had fiber internet and no data caps; streams are typically so compressed that a 1080p blu-ray would likely look and sound superior to a 4k stream with bit-starved picture and sound.

i know the one s price, but keeping the price down is what i heard through various podcasts discussing the issue. they might be wrong but its just what i took away from the situation

( and it could simply be the parts in the one s are far cheaper than the ps4 pro )

i might actually buy an S myself
Sony claims they left out 4k blu-ray because streaming is the future; then why does Sony Studios release films on 4k blu-ray when they could have opted to hold off as Disney has done? Why do they sell standalalone 4k blu-ray players? Either they're screwing over 4k blu-ray enthusiasts by selling them products they truly believe are DOA, or they're screwing over Playstation owners by with-holding a critical feature from them.

All that would be needed is a different optical drive - the PS4 Pro already has all of the horsepower required to play back 4k (obviously). And we know the cost to them would have to be negligible, given that Microsoft can afford to included it in their budget console.

I have to agree. I was so badly looking forward to the PS4 Pro (or Neo at the time) announcement but it is extremely lacking. No 4K player? Hardly any graphical boost? Having a 65" Samsung 4K tv I was so disappointed by the announcement that I bought an Xbox One S.

Only problem was, I found out that my 4K tv doesn't support HDR as I bought it at the end of 2014. Upgraded the other day to a new 65" Samsung 4K tv with HDR. I'm still holding on to my PS4 but with Microsoft supporting 4K playback and having a new system coming next year that sounds like it will outperform the PS4 Pro, I may be making all of my multiplatform purchases for Microsoft systems.

I was thinking that maybe Sony doesn't want to pay the exorbitant licensing fees to the bluray consortium but aren't they the consortium? :lol

4K/HDR went a different direction than when 1080p was created so who knows what's their reasoning for not including 4K bluray output.

I believe that movies and games are a different beast when it comes to visual fidelity.

With movies HDR is more important for the picture than having 4K.

With games 4K is more important than HDR, although i'm curious to see what it does.

I've never played a game in my life and thought "gee this game could use HDR". :lol

But I always wanted all my games to have 4K/60.

I have to agree. I was so badly looking forward to the PS4 Pro (or Neo at the time) announcement but it is extremely lacking. No 4K player? Hardly any graphical boost? Having a 65" Samsung 4K tv I was so disappointed by the announcement that I bought an Xbox One S.
Don't forget, the xBox One S is noticeably less powerful than a PS4, and the PS4 Pro is twice as powerful as a PS4. Not sure where you heard it has "hardly any" graphical boost, but that's just not true. XBox One S gets you 4k blu-ray, but otherwise the PS4 Pro will run circles around the xBox One S.

I was thinking that maybe Sony doesn't want to pay the exorbitant licensing fees to the bluray consortium but aren't they the consortium? :lol

4K/HDR went a different direction than when 1080p was created so who knows what's their reasoning for not including 4K bluray output.

I believe that movies and games are a different beast when it comes to visual fidelity.

With movies HDR is more important for the picture than having 4K.

With games 4K is more important than HDR, although i'm curious to see what it does.

I've never played a game in my life and thought "gee this game could use HDR". :lol

But I always wanted all my games to have 4K/60.
That's right, Sony basically IS the blu-ray consortum. It makes NO sense!

Regarding 4k gaming, keep in mind that the size of your screen and your distance from it determines whether or not you can even see the 4x increase in pixels. It's one thing in PC gaming when your face is 18" from a 28"display; but in the living room, a 50" screen from 6ft away would look the same to our eyes whether it was running 1080p or 4k.

That's impossible; the xBox One S sells for $299 and includes UHD Blu-ray support.

They are two very different kinds of upgrade, PS4pro is for the first time in history a PC-like upgrade for a console, all the money went into the spec and nothing else.

The thing is, if you already own the XboxOne and spend $300 to buy an XboxOneS, you will get zero framerate improvements nor any higher rez shadows etc.. All your money IS actually going to the UHD Blu-ray alone. Ignore the minor spec upgrade listed, you're games wont run any differently from the older XboxOne, with the possible exception of HDR support since it doesn't use much processing power. The HDR support and 4k connector(HDMI 2.0) are really awesome bonus but technically they don't cost any money, it's a support not an upgrade, the most current machine supports the most current formats, it's your TV that will cost money to actually display those content.

It's like how the PS3 was capable of 1080P support because that was the most current format, it support that format because really it doesn't cost anything to support it, they just have to include the most current format into the design.

So basically if you want improved gaming experience on your console get a PS4pro, you can get actual higher framerate and better shadows(low res pixelated shadows is the main problem on current gen console). If you want a UHD player for $300 that doubles as an XboxOne, which also happens to bundle with a Microsoft controller for your PC needs, instead of paying $400 for the Samsung get the XboxOneS.

Honestly though I would have expected Microsoft to be the one going full on gaming PC-like spec upgrade, while Sony being the one with the added UHD drive and keeping the spec the same for the same gen console, but the whole thing is reversed and that's throwing people off.

-----------

Last edited:
If it did out perform the Scorpio MS should stop making consoles.

MS now HAS the PS4 Pro in their lab AND they have a good solid 6 months to figure out how to crush it!

Seriously, Sony couldn't have made it any easier for MS this time, they're handing them the answer.

Unless Sony has a big secret they're keeping.

They are two very different kind of upgrades, PS4pro is for the first time in history a PC-like upgrade for a console, all the money went into the spec and nothing else.

The thing is, if you already own the XboxOne and spend $300 to buy an XboxOneS, you will get zero framerate improvements nor any higher rez shadows etc.. All your money IS actually going to the UHD Blu-ray alone. Ignore the minor spec upgrade listed, you're games wont run any differently from the older XboxOne, with the possible exception of HDR support since it doesn't use much processing power. The HDR support and 4k connector(HDMI 2.0) are really awesome bonus but technically they don't cost any money, it's a support not an upgrade, the most current machine supports the most current formats, it's your TV that will cost money to actually display those content.

It's like how the PS3 was capable of 1080P support because that was the most current format, it support that format because really it doesn't cost anything to support it, they just have to include the most current format into the design.

So basically if you want improved gaming experience on your console get a PS4pro, you can get actual higher framerate and better shadows(low res pixelated shadows is the main problem on current gen console). If you want a UHD player for $300 that doubles as an XboxOne, which also happens to bundle with a Microsoft controller for your PC needs, instead of paying $400 for the Samsung get the XboxOneS.

-----------

Yup, pretty good advise.

No Xbox One S for me, that money will be going to Scorpio. My Xbox gaming will not suffer any ill effects.

PS4 Pro is important, if anything it's what the PS4 should've been to begin with.

Had they lead with the PS4 Pro the Xbox One might've not even took off as it did and it's still playing catch up to the PS4 sales.

I already own a dedicated 4K/HDR player BUT....it would've been nice to have a 2nd one with the PS4 Pro.

I must have heard wrong about the graphical boost, but I'm doubting it will outperform the Scorpio.
You're right, the PS4 Pro will not outperform the Scorpio (6 teraflops to the PS4 Pro's 4.2). But the PS4 Pro is here in 2 months for $399, while Scorpio is 14 months away and is likely to cost closer to $599 if they don't want to sell it at a loss.

And if Sony wanted to take a page out of Microsoft's book, they could announce the PS5 18 months in advance to make people say, "Scorpio isn't as fast as PS5; guess I'll just wait for that".

MS now HAS the PS4 Pro in their lab AND they have a good solid 6 months to figure out how to crush it!

Seriously, Sony couldn't have made it any easier for MS this time, they're handing them the answer.
On the contrary, Microsoft showed their hand back at E3, laying out everything they intended to launch for the next 18 months. Sony chose to move forward with their PS4 Pro as originally planned.

You're right, the PS4 Pro will not outperform the Scorpio (6 teraflops to the PS4 Pro's 4.2). But the PS4 Pro is here in 2 months for $399, while Scorpio is 14 months away and is likely to cost closer to $599 if they don't want to sell it at a loss.

And if Sony wanted to take a page out of Microsoft's book, they could announce the PS5 18 months in advance to make people say, "Scorpio isn't as fast as PS5; guess I'll just wait for that".

:lol :lol :lol

Wow, I just learned that console games will now have the same graphics-frame rate slider options that are found on the PC.

Wacky stuff.

:lol :lol :lol

Wow, I just learned that console games will now have the same graphics-frame rate slider options that are found on the PC.

Wacky stuff.
That's what they're doing with Rise of the Tomb Raider, yup; 1080p gamers will get to choose between spending the extra horsepower in the PS4 Pro on getting the highest frame rate possible, or keeping the frame rate the same as the base PS4 but increasing visual bells and whistles. I'd love to see more developers follow suit; I'd rather have the best looking game possible at 30fps, but I know others would gladly choose 60fps with lower-quality graphics if given the option.

I'm having a hard time believing that the PS4 will match what my PC can. That's just inconceivable to me. My GTX 1080 graphics card gives me an out of this world performance on my 4K monitor, I just don't see the PS4 pro, or even Scorpio matching that.

Having said that, I went to bestbuy today, and started looking for 4K BD movies. Have you all see the selection? It's almost non existent. BvS? No thanks. Maybe people are right and the format is kind of dead? I'm not debating that 4K streaming is equally as good, that's stupid. But maybe people don't care? Or don't know better?

I'm still getting a PS4 pro, as I really want to play that new GOW as pretty as it can look. I'm just waiting for a trade in offer at GameStop that would let me get a PS4 Pro for my old PS4, 30 PS4 games and $200 on top of that.

I do believe that consoles will one day reach a perfect "good enough" cost/performance ratio.

4K/60HDR just might be it.

Sure PC can then go to 8K/60/HDR but at what cost?

PC gaming can get expensive, yeah. I didn't buy Hot Toys dolls for two years to build my dream set up.

I gotta say, it spoils you. But once you have your system is only about upgrading and selling your "old" components once the new ones come out. Much like getting iPhones every year. Sell the old, buy the new. Spend as little as possible.

I do believe that consoles will one day reach a perfect "good enough" cost/performance ratio.

4K/60HDR just might be it.

Sure PC can then go to 8K/60/HDR but at what cost?
Won't happen because we the gamers always expect better graphics, larger worlds, smarter ai, etc. We could be playing 4k/60fps/HDR on PS4 right now if we were fine with the graphics, size & population of the worlds, and AI of today's games were all no better than a PS3.

No matter how powerful systems becomes, developers will always have to decide what they want to prioritize and sacrifice one thing for another.

Back