Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A total disappointment is right. I just got a 60" "4K" TV last week, and had anticipated that a PS4 would be a for sure purchase, MOSTLY for the 4K BD player TBH. I do most of my gaming on PC nowadays, but a stand alone 4K player isn't cheap, so I thought it was going to be a no brainer. But no, Sony had to half ass it just like they know how.... How does the Xbone offers it and they can't? Jesus.

A total disappointment is right. I just got a 60" "4K" TV last week, and had anticipated that a PS4 would be a for sure purchase, MOSTLY for the 4K BD player TBH. I do most of my gaming on PC nowadays, but a stand alone 4K player isn't cheap, so I thought it was going to be a no brainer. But no, Sony had to half ass it just like they know how.... How does the Xbone offers it and they can't? Jesus.

:lecture :exactly: :lecture

Sony only cares about 4K gaming now. :lol

I'm sure Sony has something planned to compete with Scorpio. They won't just sit by and let them release a super console without releasing their own.

Nope, they said this is it regardless of Scorpio (lol isn't that the bad guy name in Dirty Harry?)

Oh and in a confusing interview from Japan Sony said that consumers "might" have to pay for HDR game patches. :lol

They pissed off enough people with the Pro. Following up with yet another premature generation killing machine would be a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony has one ace up their sleeves, VR Star Wars and Batman. Microsoft has crappy Hololense that really blows chunk.

Those VR titles and VR in general excites me as a tech geek as i'm sure it does many others...BUT....there is always a but!

I don't see VR succeeding due to these 4 very critical reasons.

1. Kids can't use (ask Hollywood what they think of movies for kids).
2. Isolating yourself from others even more so than your creepy basement. (Awkward to say the least).
3. Wires, as in plural, running across the room (we are so accustomed to wireless controllers now).
4. People hated 3D glasses so much that they stopped making 3D freaking TV's (wait until they see the size of a VR helmet!)

Nope, they said this is it regardless of Scorpio (lol isn't that the bad guy name in Dirty Harry?)

Oh and in a confusing interview from Japan Sony said that consumers "might" have to pay for HDR game patches. :lol

They pissed off enough people with the Pro. Following up with yet another premature generation killing machine would be a bad idea.

I'm hoping they are looking at all of this backlash, because the smartest thing they could do is delay the Pro and actually put everything in it. This isn't a good week for Sony. And now they're blocking mod support for Fallout and Skyrim. Just horrible, Sony. Damn it.

It's sad because they have been great as the leader this generation. Microsoft just showed them how easy it is to drop from the #1 spot. All it takes is one misguided and poorly executed gamble to mess things up.

It's sad because they have been great as the leader this generation. Microsoft just showed them how easy it is to drop from the #1 spot. All it takes is one misguided and poorly executed gamble to mess things up.

Drop form the #1 spot? Sales is the only thing that matters, and xbox is still way behind to the PS4. I find it hard to believe that Scorpio is going to be a huge game changer that it will take the lead away from Sony. With Sony having such a huge lead already, you've got over 40 million people that are now in the Sony ecosystem. People typically play the consoles their friends have, so that huge lead will make it harder for people to switch reguardless of the tech.

Also, the Scorpio and Xbox One are going to have to have the same parity that the PS4 and PS4 Pro have. They'll have to have all future xbox games work on both systems. So they're still essentially anchored down because they have the worst console hardware wise. Doesn't matter how great Scorpio is if they still have to make sure everything runs on the OG Xbox One.

I think a lot of people are overestimating Scorpio. I'm sure it will be a great console, and will more than likely be the most powerful one on the market when it drops. But Sony still currently has a huge lead, and with another year of a more powerful (and more than likely cheaper) new console on the market...I don't think Microsoft is going to do as well as people believe when their new console comes out a year from now.

None of it really matters though. PC Gaming will always be best in terms of hardware & game selection regardless of what the consoles do. Consoles' only benefits are their exclusives. Nintendo reigns supreme on that. Then for me I'd say Sony, followed far behind with Xbox. Mostly because a lot of their exclusives are going to PC anyways...so why bother with the Xbox hardware?

But hey, at the end of the day people should just play on what they want and not be judged for it. People get so worked up over brand loyalty its ridiculous. They're all companies trying to make as much money off of you as possible. They're not your friends and don't care about your undying love for their brand. They only care about your money in the end.

Well, can't really argue that.

Even with Xbox outselling PS4 in August (by not that much, 42,000 to 41,000) Sony still has 20 million more PS4 sold than MS.

But I do think that Sony's CEO really cares about me. :lol

I think you missed my point. Microsoft won the Xbox 360 vs PS3 battle and had all the momentum coming into this generation and promptly lost it with an ill received vision of a Kinect driven media game center and underpowered hardware.

And now Sony is set to release a divisive mid generation console that is underpowered compared to the beast the Microsoft will release next year. As much as Sony would like for this to be a mid-generation refresh, Microsoft is releasing a next generation level machine. With emulation you are not restricted by the hardware of the previous generation. If Scorpio can run XBone games through emulation the same way that XBone runs 360 game via emulation.. And then delivers separate next gen games that Sony has no answer for its a game changer. Sony can continue leading in the PS4 generation. I'm not talking about sales for the current generation. By the end of 2017 they will have a vastly underpowered machine as Scorpio approaches the holiday season without a competing game system in the same class. And Scorpio will have the next four or five years to dominate the PS4 Pro. By the time Sony is ready to deliver a machine that can compete with and surpass Scorpio, it will be time for another new Microsoft system as well.

That's true, but the lead Sony has now is just too damn big.

And I call BS on Sony saying they have no plans of making another console for the foreseeable future. You can bet they are already hard at work on it.

In this day and age, when phones get announced almost monthly and are able to do everything, as a giant tech company you can't just afford to play catch up.

Hell, some PC graphic cards are now cheaper than ever, they make PS4 games look like crap and it will only get better from now on.

Sony is likely working on the PS 4 Pro ultra slim at the moment.

And the vita 2. Lol.

PS6 coming 2018, cause we developed 5 but got new hardware last year so we said **** a console and skipped it.

I dunno i find a real lack of titles on the ps4, Hence why i sold it. When i think back to the great titles of the past sony used to do like Twisted metal, desert, jungle and urban strike. Remember even the die hard trilogy? That was a great game. All the games nowadays are formulaic and boring to be honest hence when i lament the passing of the original ps1 and 2 to be honest.

The exclusion of UHD Blu-ray support in the PS4 Pro is truly baffling; if Sony knew what was good for them (and listened to their consumers) they would do whatever it took to include it before the PS4 Pro launches. Un-freakin'-believable.

That said, I do not have a 4k television and have a PS4 Pro on order. My launch day PS4 often sounds like a jet engine, I'm constantly up against the 500GB storage capacity, and I can sell it to recoup some of the cost of the Pro. The graphical boosts are just icing on the cake.

The biggest thing I'll be missing out on is HDR, which is a shame. But any graphical fidelity/frame rate enhancements that can be achieved while rendering at 4k will carry over to the 1080p version of games as well. The only games which won't benefit on 1080p televisions are those like the Elder Scrolls, where it's the exact same picture/graphics but displayed at 3840x2160. I suspect those will be the exception however, and that most will go the route of Rise of the Tomb Raider, where the 1080p experience is akin to bumping a PC from "high" graphic settings to "ultimate".

A few things people (and developers) need to keep in mind: for one, this system isn't powerful enough to take a game like Uncharted 4 and render the exact same graphic fidelity at 4k while maintaining the same 30fps; you'd see that frame rate drop to something like 15fps if they tried. So most games will likely actually render at something like 1440p, and then either upscale that picture to 4k or downscale to 1080p depending on the connected display; either way will result in smoother edges.

Secondly, people also need to understand that on a 50" screen from 6ft away, the human eye can't even see the additional 4x the pixels of a 4k display. In the example I mentioned above, side by side between a 1080p display and 4k display you would not be able to tell the difference. There's a reason all of those televisions at the Sony event were like 120" and 2ft away from the viewers...

I think most developers will quickly realize that and instead of wasting all of that horsepower trying to actually render at a true 3840x2160, they'll spend it on enhanced visuals instead - which will benefit viewers on all televisions.

HDR of course is another story, an a true advantage for 4k television owners (no one makes a 1080p with HDR support). Unless you're rocking an 80" 4k television that you sit 8ft or less from, what you should really be excited about is HDR support because that's something you can actually see.

The list of games intending to take advantage of PS4 Pro grows every day and I hope to see that trend continue as we approach launch day (I'd love to see a patch for Doom, the first game I noticed to have some pretty low-resolution textures in areas); and I really hope the patches for Uncharted, The Last of Us & Infamous are more than just adding HDR support.

My only fear is that the absence of the most obvious feature - UHD Blu-ray - is going to hinder PS4 Pro sales so dramatically that there won't become a large enough user base for developers to bother with Pro enhancements this time next year. Then I'd really feel like a sucker for buying one.

The exclusion of UHD Blu-ray support in the PS4 Pro is truly baffling
It was to shave about $150 from the consoles price

The console is technically alot better. But in lamens terms its essentially " frame rate might be more consistent and loading times improved ".

I wouldnt dignify anything to do with the upgraded visuals as it automatically alienates anybody who doesnt have a top spec tv. Its completely pointless to the majority of this console generation as its reliant on them already owning an ( at this point as theres not much content for it ) gimmick tv..

Yup. The father of the god damn format will not include it in its console, while the competition, does. Have you seen the deals online for the Xbone S? Free controllers, free movie and a game for less than retail sometimes.

I have a PS4 already, and I'm needed a 4K BD player. Streaming isn't enough when fiber internet is still not as wide as some say.

I'm getting an S, sorry Sony. But I'm sure you don't give a ****.

Back