Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the new 120gb Slim as a Blu ray player? Good quality?

I'm not much of a gamer, although I would like to play God of War 3 after loving the first two. Can't decide between this or a cheaper Sony $150ish Blu player.

Any thoughts?

The PS3 is a great Blu Ray player, but now that the main player's prices are dropping and their features getting better it really depends on how often you want to play games. Also, I believe every Blu Ray player has a LAN adapter so firmware updates are no longer an issue.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the BD player in my PS3 slim, and I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of BD movies on it so far. I'd say it's worth the extra money to get a BD player that also plays great videogames.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the BD player in my PS3 slim, and I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of BD movies on it so far. I'd say it's worth the extra money to get a BD player that also plays great videogames.

The slim hasn't been out a year yet, the BD drives seem to fail after a year or so.

I'm hoping the slim BD drives aren't crap cause that's what I have now. I got sick of dealing with all the problems with the fat, so I bought a slim.

My 1 year old 80 gig fat console has decided to not recognise any discs, as in, they're not showing up on the XMB. Everything else is fine though. The lights are normal, blue when a disc is in the system, flashes when it is ejecting, etc.

Also, the folder where all the demo's which ive downloaded from the PS-store are kept doesn't say "Playstation 3" now, it says "unknown" bloody thing doesn't even know what it is anymore.

Anyone know what's up with it? I'm guessing it's the common problem of the blu ray drive packing in, hoping not though.

No one help me with this?

No one help me with this?

I have the same problem, but mine is a 60 GB Launch PS3. About a month ago, it was having problems reading PS3 games and Blu-Ray discs. For example, I'd be playing RE5 Mercenaries mode. The game would play fine, but there would be no music; it can be deduced that there was a problem with the Blu-Ray laser reading the content on the disc. Then it stopped reading Blu-Rau discs completely, but was able to read regular DVDs (remember, DVDs use a red laser to read them). I replayed God of War, but now, my PS3 doesn't even read regular DVDs anymore. I'll insert one, and the loading icon in the right corner will keep running but not read the disc. I'm resigned to replacing my PS3 with a slim, but I'm waiting for a good deal (I believe that Amazon was offering a $150 gift card with the purchase of a PS3 a few months ago). I'm looking to have my launch PS3 repaired as well.

Disappointed, but at least my launch PS3 lasted three years, and I played the hell out of that thing. It lasted two years longer than my launch 360, though.

Last edited:
The slim hasn't been out a year yet, the BD drives seem to fail after a year or so.

I'm hoping the slim BD drives aren't crap cause that's what I have now. I got sick of dealing with all the problems with the fat, so I bought a slim.

Mine is 2 years old, and it's fine. If the BD drives fail after a year, it would be a much bigger issue.

Also,

Target has $20 PSN cards for $17. I stocked up, as there aren't often deals on them like there are for 360 and Wii Points.

Well all, I believe my 80 GB PS3 has seen its last day. The disc reader originally went bad in it almost a year ago, and I just got around to switching it out in December. Once I switched it out, the console recognizes the discs, but the drive now won't take the discs in. The motor doesn't respond or anything. I check the power supply to the drive and it's still got "juice," but it's still "dead." I'm not the most tech. savy, but I'm running out of options here. I just can't figure it out.

I'm probably going to break down here within the next month or so, and get a new "slim" version.

Any advice on my old 80 GB or any advice / things to consider while looking for a new Slim? Most of you know more about this stuff than I do. I just want my PS3 back. I keep getting Blu-Rays as gifts, and yet, nothing to play them on!!! :banghead :lol Heck, I still have a brand new copy of GTA4 that I haven't even played!!! :rotfl

I'm not even going to consider getting a new one unless it's the very last option. Haven't got another £200 plus to spare. Also, the thing is only a year old. It winds me up no end, you'd think Sony wouldn't have the cheek of asking for money to repair them or even suggest buying a new one.

they are kind enough to come collect it for free:rotfl

I ended up getting a new 250GB from Argos in the UK, They had a deal were you buy the 250gb, PlayTV and 2 games from a selection of 6 for 300gpb

although you aren't really covered on the ps3 or playtv so if it breaks i'm screwed :(

You know whats funny? I only have 2 friends who still have a working launch 60gb PS3's and neither one played online often so they didn't have to constantly update their machine. Of course that being said, I don't know anyione who still has a working launch 360.

You know whats funny? I only have 2 friends who still have a working launch 60gb PS3's and neither one played online often so they didn't have to constantly update their machine. Of course that being said, I don't know anyione who still has a working launch 360.

My launch 360 just died on me last year. My launch PS3 60gb is still working. I mostly play blurays on it, but I've done all the updates.

I also have a launch 60gb PS3. It's as good as new. Done every firmware update except the recent dodgy one. Very pleased with it.

You sound like me right up until it stopped recognising discs. From love to hate, baby. :D

:lol

When that happened to mine, it came out of left field. It played fine, literally hours earlier. Then, I turned it on again and it didn't recognize anything.

:lol

When that happened to mine, it came out of left field. It played fine, literally hours earlier. Then, I turned it on again and it didn't recognize anything.
With mine, I turned it on and put MW2 disc in. Forgot about it and went upstairs for a few hours, I think. Came down and tried to play but the game froze. I thought it was the usual crap, y'know. Reset the PS3, no games showing on the XMB! Gutted! Knew instantly that i'd got the common problem. :(

Back