Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 60GB PS3 died the other day, so I bought a new 120GB model.
Does anyone know if I can remove the hard drive from the 60 and put it in the new one and copy all of my save info, then put the 120HD back in the new one?

Thanks

I think you might be out of luck, man. From my understanding, each PS3 hard drive is encrypted so that it is 'tied' to that particular PS3. If you attempt to install that 60gb drive into your new PS3, it will require you to reformat the drive before it can be used.

What you (and everyone) should do or have done is use the data backup utility in the PS3 menu before your PS3 died, to safeguard your precious stuff while you still could.

The other option was to use the Data Transfer Utility, but again that only works on working PS3s.

The only option left is to either fix your PS3 yourself or send it in for repairs if you want to use the data on your 60gb hard drive.

What you (and everyone) should do or have done is use the data backup utility in the PS3 menu before your PS3 died, to safeguard your precious stuff while you still could.

Its pathetic that we have to do this with a video game console, but I've been backing it up every other week for the past several months....especially right before I conduct any of the firmware updates.

I think you might be out of luck, man. From my understanding, each PS3 hard drive is encrypted so that it is 'tied' to that particular PS3. If you attempt to install that 60gb drive into your new PS3, it will require you to reformat the drive before it can be used.

The other option was to use the Data Transfer Utility, but again that only works on working PS3s.

The only option left is to either fix your PS3 yourself or send it in for repairs if you want to use the data on your 60gb hard drive.

Thats what I was thinking. The 60g won't even turn on now. I will be utilizing some type of data utility so I can have a copy of my saves on the new one. Thanks

I picked up MLB '10 The Show for my PS3 today and am really enjoying it.

Also picked up Legends of Wrestling and Soul Calibur IV for my son for Easter for $20 a pop at Wal*Mart. Fun stuff....

15 minutes? You must be doing something wrong. ;) I have never had it take more than a few minutes.

I've never had one take under 15 minutes. Not too long ago it seemed like there was a new system update every week and then each game would have an individual update. It really made me not want to turn on the PS3. :monkey4

Thankfully it seems the marathon run of updates is a thing of the past.

was gonna backup my system but it says i needed 37gb free space. i thought people said they were doing it on a flash drive which is why i went for it.

Ok so as I've said before, I'm a complete retard when it comes to computers and such but what exactly is Linux? I know the newest 3.21 updated uninstalls Linux but what does Linux do exactly. I know there are quite a few people who are quite pissed about the new update because it removes the Linux feature.

Linux is just an OS like Leopard and Windows 7. Other than bragging rights about having a PS3 function as a computer I don't see what the benefits are. I just hate when Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo start limiting their hardware, or in this case taking stuff away again.

My 1 year old 80 gig fat console has decided to not recognise any discs, as in, they're not showing up on the XMB. Everything else is fine though. The lights are normal, blue when a disc is in the system, flashes when it is ejecting, etc.

Also, the folder where all the demo's which ive downloaded from the PS-store are kept doesn't say "Playstation 3" now, it says "unknown" bloody thing doesn't even know what it is anymore.

Anyone know what's up with it? I'm guessing it's the common problem of the blu ray drive packing in, hoping not though.

How is the new 120gb Slim as a Blu ray player? Good quality?

I'm not much of a gamer, although I would like to play God of War 3 after loving the first two. Can't decide between this or a cheaper Sony $150ish Blu player.

Any thoughts?

The PS3 Slim get it! Sony supports the hell out of the PS3. (updates to the player via online)

PlayStation 3 120 GB
ir

Back