Palpatine 1:1 bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went down to have a look at the finished bust... man, it's awesome!! The fabric is so cool... anyway, the hood IS removable and the bust is fully sculpted underneath. But he looks like a crazy old grampa without it, so that's probably why they didn't take photos without... you never see him in ROTJ without it, and it most definitely gives him a more menacing air. But just wanted to reassure you that you'll be able to pose the hood however you choose :duff

Dusty, any chance you could snap a picture of the head without the hood, I am dying to see what he looks like without it now, pretty please :)

Just went down to have a look at the finished bust... man, it's awesome!! The fabric is so cool... anyway, the hood IS removable and the bust is fully sculpted underneath. But he looks like a crazy old grampa without it, so that's probably why they didn't take photos without... you never see him in ROTJ without it, and it most definitely gives him a more menacing air. But just wanted to reassure you that you'll be able to pose the hood however you choose :duff

Sweet thnx Dusty!!

Part of me agrees, a straigh on pose would have matched the rest of them better, but, this pose allows a front view to show off more of his face

Maybe, but that picture isn't a straight-on view and you only are showing off more of one side of his face.

:confused:

They're ripping this bust apart at the RPF, where even the sculptor himself "Chewie15," posts (same guy that did the Yoda).

It's not unusual of them to bash licensed goods, when they're dropping thousands of bucks on custom-made pieces (which are usually good). They do make some semi-valid critiques at the SSC bust, which are more opinionated than anything, but to each his own, though! :emperor

Any art piece will always be subject of both praise and criticism as everyone will view things differently. Both sides can coexist also, so long as civility is maintained and the best way to do that is to speak clearly from your own point of view and not make statements like they're factual truth and try to change other's points of view. If you think others should see things your way, it's best to treat them like a jury in a trial, all you can do is present the points from your side and see whether they take to it or not, but it's wrong to try and force them and it won't get you anywhere.

It's a Howard Sneft alright, and I for one hope he continues with more 1:1's from Sideshow!

:bow

They're ripping this bust apart at the RPF, where even the sculptor himself "Chewie15," posts (same guy that did the Yoda).

It's not unusual of them to bash licensed goods, when they're dropping thousands of bucks on custom-made pieces (which are usually good). They do make some semi-valid critiques at the SSC bust, which are more opinionated than anything, but to each his own, though! :emperor

Some of those guys over at the RPF are the biggest a$$holes I've ever encountered. I casually posted that I thought Sideshow's effort was better than a custom bust done by one of their forum members and I had a guy go ballistic on me. He sent me nasty private messages and said that Sideshow's bust sucked compared to the custom job. Now don't get me wrong, there's some great custom work done by people on that forum, but they pretty much hate all licensed products and think that if a piece isn't done by one of the forum members that it's total crap. I felt bad for Howard, who as you said is a member there, having to read some of the B.S. they were posting about his sculpt. :emperor

Some of those guys over at the RPF are the biggest a$$holes I've ever encountered. I casually posted that I thought Sideshow's effort was better than a custom bust done by one of their forum members and I had a guy go ballistic on me. He sent me nasty private messages and said that Sideshow's bust sucked compared to the custom job. Now don't get me wrong, there's some great custom work done by people on that forum, but they pretty much hate all licensed products and think that if a piece isn't done by one of the forum members that it's total crap. I felt bad for Howard, who as you said is a member there, having to read some of the B.S. they were posting about his sculpt. :emperor

I saw that! I agree with you about people over there, that's why I stopped going. Absolute jerks. And, I went and found the bust you were talking about (and his website in general) And while he captured the look overall, the sculpt is not that good. Doesn't even come close to Howard's bust. Personally, I think that guy is highly overrated...most of his sculpts were half @$$ed. A bunch of angry boys over there.

It's a Howard Sneft alright, and I for one hope he continues with more 1:1's from Sideshow!

:bow

I wish he still had pictures up, but I've been hoping Sideshow would release his 1:1 Bib Fortuna. It was so impressive!

I saw that! I agree with you about people over there, that's why I stopped going. Absolute jerks. And, I went and found the bust you were talking about (and his website in general) And while he captured the look overall, the sculpt is not that good. Doesn't even come close to Howard's bust. Personally, I think that guy is highly overrated...most of his sculpts were half @$$ed. A bunch of angry boys over there.

I read the link as i really like this bust and you're right they did seem jerks!! I'm happy to have one on order, great work. :cool:

its hard to give a real opinion on the bust until you have actually seen it in person....however, judging by what i have seen thus far, it looks incredible! How can you not want darth vader's master in your collection or movie room.:D

Well, people are certainly entitled to be critical, there are always elements to any piece that you don't have to see it for yourself to judge, such as the choice to have his head turned away from a straight on view. Let them think what they like. I've got mine on order and think it's a fantastic piece and can just imagine how it'll be in person since I've already got a few of these and know the quality you get.

QTVR has been posted: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/mov_qtvr/2955-QTVR.mov

palphj2.jpg

ya know I gotta say that after seeing this with the the QTVR, Im not that impressed anymore.

It just looks off to me. Kinda bummed out by the look of it now.
Anyone else feel the same?

ya know I gotta say that after seeing this with the the QTVR, Im not that impressed anymore.

It just looks off to me. Kinda bummed out by the look of it now.
Anyone else feel the same?

it's because they have the hood pulled back too far, you shouldn't see that much of his skull.

I frequent the RPF, some exceptional talent there. Granted, one or two people could do with having a filter between their brain and their mouth, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's the way of the world, there's always someone who knows better!

D

Back