Officially Done with EB

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never experienced what you guys are talking about....but that's probably because I really don't give a **** if someone wants me to preorder something. I just say no thanks and walk out even if they keep talking to my back as I walk out the door.

I don't know why anyone would shop here just for the fact that their prices are higher than most other places that have new games readily available.

The one out by me (in a suburb strip mall) isn't so bad. However, I won't go into any of the ones in the malls in the city; they are ridiculously pushy, rude,
and live by the EB code posted about here and elsewhere on the internet.

The people at the store by me are helpful and friendly. I'm more than happy to bring my trade-ins there when they offer deals like bonus 20% toward certain purchases. With ebay prices going up and when you factor in my laziness, some of their trade-in specials are pretty good.

i still go to my EB... mainly because i know everyone that works there. i know dont have to preorder but most of the time they hook me up with free stuff.and even if i dont preorder they will usually set a copy of the game aside for me since they know im gonna get it anyways.
~~happened with the Elite and Wii.... i didnt order them but when they had one in that wasnt already preordered they set it aside and called me asking if i wanted one.

The one out by me (in a suburb strip mall) isn't so bad. However, I won't go into any of the ones in the malls in the city; they are ridiculously pushy, rude,
and live by the EB code posted about here and elsewhere on the internet.

The people at the store by me are helpful and friendly. I'm more than happy to bring my trade-ins there when they offer deals like bonus 20% toward certain purchases. With ebay prices going up and when you factor in my laziness, some of their trade-in specials are pretty good.

This is one huge reason why i love living in hawaii, locals here are way more laid back. a lot of mainlanders are just pricks in general. I see it all the time with tourists out at the bars here.

Meh, I just go to Best Buy on release day and get the game I want. And reward points too!

That will be me from here on out. There is an EB right across the street where I work. I will even drive out of my way from now on to either go to CC or BB. I will not give these biatches any more of my money.

yea, EB is a giant piece of crap. The only reason I go to EB is to trade in my old gamecube games cubes to get a discount on the game I really want to buy. Other than that, I will NEVER go to that piece of crap store.

I had this happen to me in EB, When socom came out I went there to get it, and they said did u preorder, if not we cant sell it to u, so I went to Walmart, EB sucks.

I just can't understand being in the retail business and not wanting to sell something. Seems like a great marketing and business strategy if you ask me. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to defend the company - it really has gone downhill since Gamestop, Software Etc. bought out EB. However, I think some of you guys are putting too much blame on the employees. I worked as an Assistant Manager for 2 years and a Store Manager for 1 before going actually using my college degree and getting certified to teach. This was in 1999 to 2001, so it was before the EB takeover, but I still have friends in the company so I have a good sense of current events. The employee manuals going around are mostly true. They don't come out and say lie to a customer, that would be grounds for a lawsuit. But, they do imply it. Most of the District Managers and some of the Store Managers are game-illiterate a$$holes, but that's because the company wants it that way. People who actual know and play games might develop a conscious when being feed obvious misleading info to get sales/ prepurchases. But, the sales people get a bad rep for just doing their job. The example before about an employee asking for the 100th time despite the customer not buying an extended warranty is a good example. My best friend manages one of the local stores and he asks me every time if I want to pre-purchase this or that and offers the warranties, etc. al. He knows I have no interest in them. It's become a kind of joke to us. But, he has not choice. If a secret shopper observes him not following procedure, it can lead to a write-up or other disciplinary action. Hell, the company also encourages employees to backstap each other so that's also a possibility. I am sure there are plenty of crap formalities we all have to go through to keep our jobs. Is it our fault? My friend has been moved from store to store over the last 3 years due to actually being honest - he will tell a customer if a game is a piece of crap - doesn't matter if it's a huge advertiser or not. The only reason he hasn't been fired is he has a huge customer "fan" base if you will and makes the company money. Point being, the company and it's policies are to blame. Gamestop bought out EB to eliminate competition, but doing so hurt them financially. This also pissed off Wal-Mart and Best Buy who deliberately offer big new games cheaper to bring people in. If Wal-Mart gets a title in first in an area, a manager can expect dozens of canceled pre-purchases. That usually leads to reprimands or write-ups despite the fact that he had no control over the situation.

As a side note, they have recently changed the pre-purchase policies as well for employees. It used to be that if a person pre-purchased a game, it counted as a +1 to that salesman's count and the stores numbers for the week. If the person canceled it before the game was released it was a -1 since the store lost a pre-sale. But, if the customer waited til after the game was released to cancel it (bad review, sh#tty demo, etc.), it didn't hurt the store. Well, now, ANY canceled pre-purchase counts against the store. We live beside Fort Bragg so many of the purchases are military based. Recently, a soldier returned from the Middle East after being deployed for close to a year. He was a big gamer and had over 10 games pre-purchased. Well, most of these had already been released - and he had had friends pick them up elsewhere and ship them to his unit, so he came in and canceled all the pre-purchases. He only asked for store credit, even though he could have demanded cash back, so it's not like the store even lost money. District Manager still called to bi#ch at the end of the week because he had 17 cancellations that Wed. (13 from that one soldier). How the hell is a manager suppose to survive in those conditions? You are pretty much damned either way - left to Fates whims. I stopped pre-purchasing too, but mainly because I am very finicky and didn't want to take a chance of hurting him my friend's numbers I changed my mind. A lot of people have done the same, so, once again, a stupid policy designed to improve pre-purchases has bitten them on the arse because the bureaucrats who run the company don't understand the gaming culture .... sigh ... :monkey2

I'm not going to defend the company - it really has gone downhill since Gamestop, Software Etc. bought out EB. However, I think some of you guys are putting too much blame on the employees. I worked as an Assistant Manager for 2 years and a Store Manager for 1 before going actually using my college degree and getting certified to teach. This was in 1999 to 2001, so it was before the EB takeover, but I still have friends in the company so I have a good sense of current events. The employee manuals going around are mostly true. They don't come out and say lie to a customer, that would be grounds for a lawsuit. But, they do imply it. Most of the District Managers and some of the Store Managers are game-illiterate a$$holes, but that's because the company wants it that way. People who actual know and play games might develop a conscious when being feed obvious misleading info to get sales/ prepurchases. But, the sales people get a bad rep for just doing their job. The example before about an employee asking for the 100th time despite the customer not buying an extended warranty is a good example. My best friend manages one of the local stores and he asks me every time if I want to pre-purchase this or that and offers the warranties, etc. al. He knows I have no interest in them. It's become a kind of joke to us. But, he has not choice. If a secret shopper observes him not following procedure, it can lead to a write-up or other disciplinary action. Hell, the company also encourages employees to backstap each other so that's also a possibility. I am sure there are plenty of crap formalities we all have to go through to keep our jobs. Is it our fault? My friend has been moved from store to store over the last 3 years due to actually being honest - he will tell a customer if a game is a piece of crap - doesn't matter if it's a huge advertiser or not. The only reason he hasn't been fired is he has a huge customer "fan" base if you will and makes the company money. Point being, the company and it's policies are to blame. Gamestop bought out EB to eliminate competition, but doing so hurt them financially. This also pissed off Wal-Mart and Best Buy who deliberately offer big new games cheaper to bring people in. If Wal-Mart gets a title in first in an area, a manager can expect dozens of canceled pre-purchases. That usually leads to reprimands or write-ups despite the fact that he had no control over the situation.

As a side note, they have recently changed the pre-purchase policies as well for employees. It used to be that if a person pre-purchased a game, it counted as a +1 to that salesman's count and the stores numbers for the week. If the person canceled it before the game was released it was a -1 since the store lost a pre-sale. But, if the customer waited til after the game was released to cancel it (bad review, sh#tty demo, etc.), it didn't hurt the store. Well, now, ANY canceled pre-purchase counts against the store. We live beside Fort Bragg so many of the purchases are military based. Recently, a soldier returned from the Middle East after being deployed for close to a year. He was a big gamer and had over 10 games pre-purchased. Well, most of these had already been released - and he had had friends pick them up elsewhere and ship them to his unit, so he came in and canceled all the pre-purchases. He only asked for store credit, even though he could have demanded cash back, so it's not like the store even lost money. District Manager still called to bi#ch at the end of the week because he had 17 cancellations that Wed. (13 from that one soldier). How the hell is a manager suppose to survive in those conditions? You are pretty much damned either way - left to Fates whims. I stopped pre-purchasing too, but mainly because I am very finicky and didn't want to take a chance of hurting him my friend's numbers I changed my mind. A lot of people have done the same, so, once again, a stupid policy designed to improve pre-purchases has bitten them on the arse because the bureaucrats who run the company don't understand the gaming culture .... sigh ... :monkey2

Hence why I quit and got a real job. Anyone that works for a company that treats their employees and customers like crap for that matter should quit. If they believe in that sort of practice then by all means stay. I quit the day they asked me to call hospitals and homeless shelters for used games. I couldn't even believe I was asked. I was an assistant manager as well. I never followed their shoddy ways and our store was one of the top ones. Go figure. That being said I couldn't work for a company that I felt operated without morals. This is one company that really acts in such a way. I say if you work there then seek out another job. You will feel much better. I know I did. What a ****ty place to work. I feel bad for the people that truly love games and really want to work there. What a shame. If this company keeps it up they will end up just like EB. That is one day when I will smile. For now as stated earlier they will get no more from me. I may also submit something to the better business bureau although I know damn well it will do nothing.

Hell, about once a month i debate turning them in for the fraudulent payroll practices. the problem being, I'm sure i'd just be labeled as " disgrunteled ex-employee #29658471" and the complaint would go unheard.
Meh, Now I'm back in school a little more than a year away from a degree in game design. I love the industry, Just tired of being on the front lines. Time to go become a general, Like Kojima or Miyomoto. :D

Hell, about once a month i debate turning them in for the fraudulent payroll practices. the problem being, I'm sure i'd just be labeled as " disgrunteled ex-employee #29658471" and the complaint would go unheard.
Meh, Now I'm back in school a little more than a year away from a degree in game design. I love the industry, Just tired of being on the front lines. Time to go become a general, Like Kojima or Miyomoto. :D

I know what you mean. I just don't know how they get away with all this crap. I never have known any other store to be as dishonest as this one. My hate for this company is ever growing. I really hate them. LOL! I am not a hate type of person either. I think what makes me mad the most is that I see potential for stores like these. They should be a cool place to hang out and discuss games. Have fun buy your games and go home. Not be bossed around and lied too. At the end of the day retail is about selling. If you breed an environment that actually makes your employees feel like they shouldn't then you should fail. I hope they fall hard. I think it will take a new company in order to do it. While the big box stores get the games you still don't have the variety or access to trade stuff in. I don't think BB and CC should be the go to places. Someone needs to step up and take control. Anyone want to back me I am all game. :cool:

It makes me sad to admit, but I don't think anybody could start a video game store to compete. Due to the extremely low markup of new games and hardware, the EB model is the only one I could see working.

That said, if I were to start a new game store, I would sell new and used (with an emphasis on used) just like EB but without the pushy sales people. I would offset the loss of the sales pitch by designing my store as a place to hang out; hosting tournaments, maybe renting out rooms or whatever. If you can get butts in the store, I think that would translate into sales.

It would be a kind of combination of the EB and tabletop game store business models.

It makes me sad to admit, but I don't think anybody could start a video game store to compete. Due to the extremely low markup of new games and hardware, the EB model is the only one I could see working.

That said, if I were to start a new game store, I would sell new and used (with an emphasis on used) just like EB but without the pushy sales people. I would offset the loss of the sales pitch by designing my store as a place to hang out; hosting tournaments, maybe renting out rooms or whatever. If you can get butts in the store, I think that would translate into sales.

It would be a kind of combination of the EB and tabletop game store business models.

Not to mention add comics and toys to the mix. 1 store to rule them all so to speak. :rotfl Seriously it would work. You could have all types of cool marketing campaigns to out wit the EBs of the world.

Not to mention add comics and toys to the mix. 1 store to rule them all so to speak. :rotfl Seriously it would work. You could have all types of cool marketing campaigns to out wit the EBs of the world.

Yea, the large game industry selling stores (like best buy, walmart) would destroy any smaller sole video games store. You woud have to differentiate yourself form those larger companies; by adding toys, etc to establish your brand identity and brand personality. I've studied these kinds of markets and lots of the smaller chains don't last long. It would be interesting and fun to open this type of store, but probably not practical or long-running.

Found this kind of funny, I went to their site and found EB Games' mission/vision/values and this is what it said.
About Us

GameStop is the world's largest video game retailer. With over 4,400 stores located throughout the United States and 15 countries, we are the retail destination for gamers around the world.

Our GameStop, EB Games and Electronics Boutique retail locations set us apart in the industry. Everything that we offer our customers—from our expansive selection of new products, to our knowledgeable associates and our value-added pre-owned products—is geared to deliver customer satisfaction. We complement our store network with GameStop.com and EBgames.com, and publish Game Informer, one of the industry's largest circulation video game magazines.

Together, we hold a passion for gaming, a commitment to our industry and a disciplined business perspective to continuously drive value with shareholders, customers, vendors and employees.

Well, that is all just pure :censored

Yea, the large game industry selling stores (like best buy, walmart) would destroy any smaller sole video games store. You woud have to differentiate yourself form those larger companies; by adding toys, etc to establish your brand identity and brand personality. I've studied these kinds of markets and lots of the smaller chains don't last long. It would be interesting and fun to open this type of store, but probably not practical or long-running.

Found this kind of funny, I went to their site and found EB Games' mission/vision/values and this is what it said.

Well, that is all just pure :censored

I have half a mind to make my wife record me reading this to some tool who works there. :rotfl

If they are truly doing something thats fraudulent as far as payroll don't wait even a second to turn them in. But don't goto corporate goto the labor board. I am not sure how things are out in your neck of the woods but I can tell you that in CA complaints about payroll , and stuff like that are not taken lightly by the labor board. They will put the smack down real fast if they find a violation.

If they are truly doing something thats fraudulent as far as payroll don't wait even a second to turn them in. But don't goto corporate goto the labor board. I am not sure how things are out in your neck of the woods but I can tell you that in CA complaints about payroll , and stuff like that are not taken lightly by the labor board. They will put the smack down real fast if they find a violation.

Hell yeah! :rock

Back