Newbie question, McFarlane Figure scale and head?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.where.to.begin

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello there, This will be my 2nd or 3rd post today since I am brand new to this and was not sure where to post or ask questions.
Can anyone tell me or confirm that scale size of your typical McFarlane figure and head size?
In doing a some quick research I am getting overwhelmed with it looks or sounds like most McFarlane figures are 7 to 7.5" inch tall which would roughly be 1/10:Scale?... is that right?
So if I was looking for a new or custom head or a repaint I would need to be asking or looking for someone who can 3d print in that scale?...
I am brand new day 1 to all this and trying to figure out what I need to make sure I am asking for so I don't get something wrong.

Thanks - Dave

So if I was looking for a new or custom head or a repaint I would need to be asking or looking for someone who can 3d print in that scale?...

McFarlane is bigger than 1/12 scale on the average. That being said, there is literally close to 30 years of McFarlane figures out in the marketplace now. It's hard to extrapolate your needs/situation without making a sweeping generalization. Safe answer - Find the figure that you want an update on. Take pictures of it next to a ruler. Also next to something that's commonly sized ( like a Coke can or a candy bar) so the person seeing the photos have a frame of reference.

If you need a new headsculpt, take a photo of the previous headsculpt removed, but again, next to a ruler, and also next to a 1/12th headsculpt and a 1/6th headsculpt. Again, so the person can determine scale / context for you. If the figure is common enough, actually mail the previous removed head to the person doing the printing, so there are truly no possible miscommunications/confusion. When in doubt, providing more information is always better. More photos. More context. More reference material.

Look on Ebay to see if someone has already made a custom sculpt in the vein of what you want ( if it's a popular character, odds are someone might have made it already) Personally, if I were you, I'd buy some inexpensive custom heads yourself from a place like Ebay, really cheap, and practice painting them yourself.

If you are brand new to the hobby, I would advise waiting before engaging with private customizers for some kind of commission type business for a figure/sculpt/paint/etc. Get a feel for the overall hobby first for a while and immerse yourself in it before going this route. And if you do go this route, start small and inexpensively, and assess that you are risking total loss at all times ( Private customizers have nothing to hold them accountable except themselves. There are good, honest and decent ones. There are also those who are none of those things)

Using Ebay as a conduit for a sale/purchase at least gives you some limited buyer protections. In private, you are assuming all the risk on your end. Something to consider.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hello there, Thank you very much for all the info. That helps alot. I had no idea about the range in sizes over the years.
So much to learn.

McFarlane is bigger than 1/12 scale on the average. That being said, there is literally close to 30 years of McFarlane figures out in the marketplace now. It's hard to extrapolate your needs/situation without making a sweeping generalization. Safe answer - Find the figure that you want an update on. Take pictures of it next to a ruler. Also next to something that's commonly sized ( like a Coke can or a candy bar) so the person seeing the photos have a frame of reference.

If you need a new headsculpt, take a photo of the previous headsculpt removed, but again, next to a ruler, and also next to a 1/12th headsculpt and a 1/6th headsculpt. Again, so the person can determine scale / context for you. If the figure is common enough, actually mail the previous removed head to the person doing the printing, so there are truly no possible miscommunications/confusion. When in doubt, providing more information is always better. More photos. More context. More reference material.

Look on Ebay to see if someone has already made a custom sculpt in the vein of what you want ( if it's a popular character, odds are someone might have made it already) Personally, if I were you, I'd buy some inexpensive custom heads yourself from a place like Ebay, really cheap, and practice painting them yourself.

If you are brand new to the hobby, I would advise waiting before engaging with private customizers for some kind of commission type business for a figure/sculpt/paint/etc. Get a feel for the overall hobby first for a while and immerse yourself in it before going this route. And if you do go this route, start small and inexpensively, and assess that you are risking total loss at all times ( Private customizers have nothing to hold them accountable except themselves. There are good, honest and decent ones. There are also those who are none of those things)

Using Ebay as a conduit for a sale/purchase at least gives you some limited buyer protections. In private, you are assuming all the risk on your end. Something to consider.

Good luck.
Hello there, Thank you very much for all the info. That helps alot. I had no idea about the range in sizes over the years.
So much to learn.

Back