Official BB Ra's al Ghul/Henri Ducard Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yruh8n?

as for the amazing likeness some people see that this Snyderman sculpt has, please show me a screen cap from the movie and a corresponding picture of this Snyderman sculpt side by side and make a comparison.

Oh as for hair and skin texture, those are essential parts of likeness, there is no point in say a great facesculpt with subpar and inaccurate facial and normal hair sculpts and and smooth textured finish. Every part of a head from its shape to its embellishments are important to portray likeness.

I dont want a Barbie doll like textureless non-realistic sculpt and paint finish on a custom which will have to stand in display beside a Hot Toys Batman Original Costume etc etc

Well for the amazing likeness some people see that this Rainman sculpt has, please show me a screen cap from the movie and a corresponding picture of this Rainman sculpt side by side and make a comparison.

yruh8n?

as for the amazing likeness some people see that this Snyderman sculpt has, please show me a screen cap from the movie and a corresponding picture of this Snyderman sculpt side by side and make a comparison.

Oh as for hair and skin texture, those are essential parts of likeness, there is no point in say a great facesculpt with subpar and inaccurate facial and normal hair sculpts and and smooth textured finish. Every part of a head from its shape to its embellishments are important to portray likeness.

I dont want a Barbie doll like textureless non-realistic sculpt and paint finish on a custom which will have to stand in display beside a Hot Toys Batman Original Costume etc etc

Maybe this style is just Snyder-man's artistic interpretation? Detail means very little once you get two feet away from a 1/6th scale figure. I guess everyone has different criteria. For my own personal taste a Ra's Ah Gul that doesn't look like Liam Neeson standing next to my Hot Toy's Batman equals fail, regardless of how detailed it is. Obviously the bells and whistles mean more to you than accurate likeness. I find that baffling, but it's all good. At the end of the day people should buy what they like.

Well for the amazing likeness some people see that this Rainman sculpt has, please show me a screen cap from the movie and a corresponding picture of this Rainman sculpt side by side and make a comparison.

Thanks for making me feel less crazy. Now I know I'm not the only one that is not buying the hype.

7993332.png

And this picture and comparison was used in the thread itself to show what improvements could be made and many of them have been already implemented, plus this was the first WIP sculpt and has since been improved... mind you the above screen cap was not THE SCREEN CAP we had given Rainman as the main reference. The screen cap below is what we gave Rainman as his reference
raz3.png

Ive seen few sculptors make picture perfect representations from a screen cap (Adam being one) and this one does a damn good job. And here is where details lik skin texturing and proper musculator sculpt help in bumping up the likeness.

Ive done my bit, now show me Snyders compared to a screen cap with a front profile. I dont like comparing customs as each artist's work is respectable to their own followers but when people have to accuse others of 'favouritism' regarding sculptors and not final quality of sculpt as popularity, its nothing more than being sour grapes about ones favourite sculpt not getting enough loving. Ive never bought any of Rainman's work nor a huge fan by any means. But such sour grapes berating for his work is not warranted.

I am not one who will put blinders in my eyes for the sake of sculptors, there have been many times when Rainman's sculpt have been second best to anothers interpretation (eg. Dexter of Trevor's etc etc) compared and thats not just me but general consensus. Similarly as good as Snydermans sculpt is overall realism wise I cannot say its better than Rainman's effort.

Haha, honestly, the interest shown for Snyderman's sculpt in the 'interest' thread is testament to that. This board laps up anything they feel of great quality and that you cant deny no matter what. Sadly Snyderman's sculpt might not have met the expectations of most people... and details on sculpt are EXTREMELY important nowadays. You cant have accurate likeness without proper texture, both are integral and inseparable.

Last edited:
He was engaged in some serious words with Wayne in that scene. If Rainmain is basing the sculpt off that scene it is close, the brow is still far too straight in the center. It's not a expression he had throughout the film.

I'm not going to waste time with some photoshopped lined but Snyers looks more like the natual relaxed expression state. The curve of the cheeks is correct.
Picture002-8.jpg
Ra-s-Al-Ghul-batman-begins-11594816-407-364.jpg

Just my opinion. I'm not getting either of these offerings.

Yeah, Snyers looks more like the generic expression he had throughout the film, and I do like the folds in the skin.

Rainman's is definitely based on the serious look in the party scene and that's why the brow is straighter, but yes, it's by no means perfect.

Both sculpts appear to have their shortcomings. Overall though if i'm spending money on one, i'd pick Rainman's just because the level of skin detail and painwork (paint by iminime team) is likely to match up much better with the rest of my figures.

He was engaged in some serious words with Wayne in that scene. If Rainmain is basing the sculpt off that scene it is close, the brow is still far too straight in the center. It's not a expression he had throughout the film.

I'm not going to waste time with some photoshopped lined but Snyers looks more like the natual relaxed expression state. The curve of the cheeks is correct.
Picture002-8.jpg
Ra-s-Al-Ghul-batman-begins-11594816-407-364.jpg

Just my opinion. I'm not getting either of these offerings.
I understand what you want to say, but just like that Snyderman's sculpt is FAR from being better likeness IMO

The forehead is too high arched up, the proportions of the back of the skull/head is not correct, the ears are lined up much lower, nose is a little too large and almost caricature like from upfront, side profile is still better. The overall jawline has to be sharper and the curve and breadth of the face could do with more improvement.The goatee and hair are a disaster in every way.
Then zero skin texturing accentuates a paintjob which doesnt hold its own to the standard thats now offered with stock 1/6th figures.

Too many shortcomings IMO to call it a great likeness as some see in it...

Think about it, seeing this:
picture001-8jpg.jpg
I cant see how many can say this is the best likeness available... there are just so many things wrong with this picture. Post it in a Asian 1/6th Collectible forum, and they'll laugh at it and say it must have been made by HT in 2002 or something...

Last edited:
Also, the Snyderman sculpt is painted up, while the Rainman sculpt isn't. That makes appropriate comparisons difficult. I do think axecutioner is going a bit far in his criticisms, as it seems pretty clear to me that the Snyder-Man sculpt presents a very good likeness, but the straight on photo shows that the likeness isn't as great as it looks from the angle Evilface posted previously.

To yruh8n's argument, again, not trying to run down any specific sculpt, but consider this:

Blade7.png

vs.

blade-backstage.jpg

I would humbly suggest that the first sculpt here is a better Wesley Snipes likeness. And based on your posts, I'm guessing you would prefer the first sculpt. Others have actually used that for their Blade figures for that reason. But most high end collectors would choose the 2nd, Hot Toys sculpt over the Marvel Studios one without a second thought, despite the worse likeness, for issues Void, axe and I have brought up. If that baffles you, then perhaps you don't understand the mentality of most high end collectors, but it's all good. At the end of the day people should buy what they like.

You can't get a proper likeness from one reference. It will look good from that angle only. One thing I took away from the few lessons I took was that it requires a lot of pictures from many different angles to understand everything that is going on with a persons face. I will ask you again axe, what is your experience with sculpture? The artist you continue to berate is a deaf woman by the way. Not that it should matter. She graduated from one of the top art schools in the world. She has been doing portrait commissions for 15+ years. Unless you have an extensive background your not telling anyone about she has probably forgotten more about portrait sculpture than you will ever know. Please note also that I never claimed this was an amazing sculpt. Those comments came from people who are buying Rainman's sculpt. My first reaction was surprise that a sculpt of this calibur was being totally ignored in favor of one that IN MY OPINION wasn't as good. I have learned a lot from this conversation. I fail to see why you even care. Your project is a huge success. What's the big deal if not everyone likes it?

Also, the Snyderman sculpt is painted up, while the Rainman sculpt isn't. That makes appropriate comparisons difficult. I do think axecutioner is going a bit far in his criticisms, as it seems pretty clear to me that the Snyder-Man sculpt presents a very good likeness, but the straight on photo shows that the likeness isn't as great as it looks from the angle Evilface posted previously.

To yruh8n's argument, again, not trying to run down any specific sculpt, but consider this:

Blade7.png

vs.

blade-backstage.jpg

I would humbly suggest that the first sculpt here is a better Wesley Snipes likeness. And based on your posts, I'm guessing you would prefer the first sculpt. Others have actually used that for their Blade figures for that reason. But most high end collectors would choose the 2nd, Hot Toys sculpt over the Marvel Studios one without a second thought, despite the worse likeness, for issues Void, axe and I have brought up. If that baffles you, then perhaps you don't understand the mentality of most high end collectors, but it's all good. At the end of the day people should buy what they like.

I will never understand why people would prefer a less accurate likeness with more detail. Maybe it's my eye sight. When I hold a 1/6th figure out at arms length I can't tell if the head has all the pores and minute wrinkles in it or not. And if I can see it, it was because it was overdone. I can tell if it looks like the character it's suppose to be and that's all that really matters to me. Different strokes for different folks. Good job of illustrating your point. I find the top Snipes a little too narrow from side to side. The Hot Toys looks good from the angle pictured, but looks off from other angles. One thing I will say about Snyder-man, he's not afraid to post pictures of each of the sculpts from multiple angles. Lots of sculptors and even legit companies tend to only throw up the best one or two angles. Thank you for being an intelligent poster who understands theer are more opinions out there than your own.

You can't get a proper likeness from one reference. It will look good from that angle only. One thing I took away from the few lessons I took was that it requires a lot of pictures from many different angles to understand everything that is going on with a persons face. I will ask you again axe, what is your experience with sculpture? The artist you continue to berate is a deaf woman by the way. Not that it should matter. She graduated from one of the top art schools in the world. She has been doing portrait commissions for 15+ years. Unless you have an extensive background your not telling anyone about she has probably forgotten more about portrait sculpture than you will ever know. Please note also that I never claimed this was an amazing sculpt. Those comments came from people who are buying Rainman's sculpt. My first reaction was surprise that a sculpt of this calibur was being totally ignored in favor of one that IN MY OPINION wasn't as good. I have learned a lot from this conversation. I fail to see why you even care. Your project is a huge success. What's the big deal if not everyone likes it?
So now my experience in sculpting has to give credibility to my opinions. Oh wait what you want to say is that with your limited knowledge you are a better judge. And where did I 'berate' an artist? YOU were the one who started with beration of another artists work etc etc you were the one who started crying foul and injustice in all threads you visited for the last few days.
Oh and now comes the she's deaf, old etc etc Whats the point really?
This SICK mention of here medical condition had NO CONTEXT and comes across as CHEAP and WEAK!

Why I care? Because maybe unlike you its not the artist that matters to me. But I do care when veiled beration and cries of injustice and 'discrmination' are propagated in the boards simply because YOUR FAVOURITE sculpt seems to be ignored by most.

P.S If that frontal shot of a sculpt doesnt look realistic and good enough, I dont see how a side profile atones for it. Snyderman has shown his sculpt from a lot of angles as much as Rainman has. So please, before you cry for respect for your favourite artist, just check wether you are doing it without belittling another's effort.

This whole mess was started by you from one part of the board to another... Realise this board is filled with passionate and opinionated people like you. So when you come with an attitude for an argument, be mentally prepared to handle counter points without having to pull medical history or personal knowledge of sculptor etc etc.

Oh, I see now. Axe is heading up the Rainman Ra's figure thread. That is why that is the only sculpt he likes. :lol

IMO Susala's sculpt is still the best. Just a shame I don't have the skills to paint it.
DSC00968.jpg

Back