Nintendo 3DS & 3DSXL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREAT question. And oddly enough, I was on reddit the other day looking for the answer. A few members claimed that their bottom screens (or maybe top) were TN. From what I've read, many people have both IPS screens. HOWEVER, I am reading more and more tonight about people who bought 2 systems and they're seeing a difference.

IMO, there's definitely a difference when we're talking about display monitors on your computer, etc. HOWEVER, I think on a screen this size, you won't see a HUGE difference. Just my opinion. (I don't have my Pokemon 3DS in hand yet though, still waiting on TRU.) I might 'sing' a different tune then.

Which do you think you have?

I also haven't figured out (other than by look) how these people know 100% that it's IPS vs. TN. I know the differences, but not sure without having two if I could say for certain. My current 3DS XL I believe has IPS x 2.

X or Y for sure.

Gold and Silver too.

GREAT question. And oddly enough, I was on reddit the other day looking for the answer. A few members claimed that their bottom screens (or maybe top) were TN. From what I've read, many people have both IPS screens. HOWEVER, I am reading more and more tonight about people who bought 2 systems and they're seeing a difference.

IMO, there's definitely a difference when we're talking about display monitors on your computer, etc. HOWEVER, I think on a screen this size, you won't see a HUGE difference. Just my opinion. (I don't have my Pokemon 3DS in hand yet though, still waiting on TRU.) I might 'sing' a different tune then.

Which do you think you have?

I also haven't figured out (other than by look) how these people know 100% that it's IPS vs. TN. I know the differences, but not sure without having two if I could say for certain. My current 3DS XL I believe has IPS x 2.

I have it hiding right now, my son's birthday is next month but I think I'm gonna open it up and verify. He has the original DS XL. Do you know what screen those are? I was gonna try and compare it to that.

Another question though for you guys:

Sold my previous New 3DS. I'm obviously going to do a system transfer, but afterwards, what needs to be done to 'wipe' it so I don't need to worry about CC info, IDs, etc?

I've looked around and think I figured it out, but I want to be sure.

1457217411554245856199.jpg
This is the charger from my son's DS XL. Can someone verify theirs for the new 3ds. I would appreciate it.

There's only one model of the 3DS charger, and they're compatible with every 3DS model. Original, XL, New 3DS, and New 3DS XL

So quick update (and left me preface by saying I'm not uber-tech savy. I know a lot, but not as much as probably many of you):

I compared the screens on my "old" New 3DS XL and my "new" New 3DS - I think both top screens are IPS. But my XL I think has a TN bottom screen, while the 3DS has a IPS. I can view the 3DS from all angles and really have no obvious distortion. Totally different on the XL - I get a black out effect at extreme angles. It'a not a HUGE difference though, from a gaming experience. Overall, both are great.

There's only one model of the 3DS charger, and they're compatible with every 3DS model. Original, XL, New 3DS, and New 3DS XL

Thanks!
So quick update (and left me preface by saying I'm not uber-tech savy. I know a lot, but not as much as probably many of you):

I compared the screens on my "old" New 3DS XL and my "new" New 3DS - I think both top screens are IPS. But my XL I think has a TN bottom screen, while the 3DS has a IPS. I can view the 3DS from all angles and really have no obvious distortion. Totally different on the XL - I get a black out effect at extreme angles. It'a not a HUGE difference though, from a gaming experience. Overall, both are great.

Nice!

Oh wow, remake of Gameboy Metroid II, which IMO is sort of the missing link in the trilogy since the original Gameboy hardware was kind of limited for such a huge game, that's the one game that needed a remake.

--

Last edited:
Back