NHL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fleury is looking good. I mean Vezina consideration good. Hopefully this keeps up into June.

Finally the monster has been awaken. I have confidence this team will be back to its former slaughtering of other teams glory.

A lot of it has to do with the Neal and Malkin line clicking and the PP showing up.

Too bad that momentum didn't a carry through to last night. The Avs were a far superior team last night.

Yeah, but nice bounce back game against the Jets. :lol They'll have to be a bit more consistent to finish near the top of the conference but if they can just start playing well toward the end of the season and get healthy at that time, they'll be ready to make a push in the playoffs. I don't care if they are the # 1 seed or not but I'd like to see them at least around 4 or 5. This is a veteran team with a bunch of skilled players. I just hope they are healthy and playing their best hockey when it matters most.

Caps have 3 goals in their last 3 games. Ovechkin has all 3. I really dislike McPhee....a lot. His teams are so average it's not funny.

Fleury is looking good. I mean Vezina consideration good. Hopefully this keeps up into June.

Finally the monster has been awaken. I have confidence this team will be back to its former slaughtering of other teams glory.

A lot of it has to do with the Neal and Malkin line clicking and the PP showing up.

Spoke to soon

Maf should have stopped all three tonight, Maata's giveaway was brutal but he should have had that one

Spoke to soon

Maf should have stopped all three tonight, Maata's giveaway was brutal but he should have had that one

Ah yes, the President of the Anti-MAF Fan Club has chimed in with his redundant follow-up of why said goaltender is "yadda-yadda".... I sometimes wonder if people get the definition of the term "fan." Every goalie has a bad game, and really it wasn't all that much of a bad game. He was still near .900 for a save percentage. He still kept his team in it for the longest time. He was 1st in wins prior to tonight, now is 2nd overall. All he needs is a win to get him back into 1st place. I could and am saying you are "speaking too soon" about a guy who let in 3 goals on 29 shots, and still sports a 1.95 GAA, and .923 S% overall. Did he have a great game? Absolutely not, but he was solid for two periods, keeping us in it, and again, when the score was 3-2. Just remember, that perfect goalie doesn't exist out there. I mean look at Jonathan Quick and Henrik Lundqvist this season. They aren't exactly having super campaigns. MAF's numbers are better across the board. Yes, it's mostly due to a tighter run ship (the inclusion of Jacques Martin to the coaching staff), but for every improvement made on the stat sheet that can be credited to the team as a whole, there is flip side to that as well. One would think for every so-called bad game, it's not entirely all on MAF either. ;)

Since it's not all on him, and it was only a 3-2 loss after going 1.00 GAA, .950 save percentage, 1 SO, and a 3-1 record 4 games prior, I think we cut him some slack. What do you think? Once he has a 2013 Islanders playoff performance-isque self implosion, we can then go there. Until then, he deserves the positive talk, because with all the negativity surrounding him this past Summer, it just seems unwarranted at this point of time. Either way, one should look at his early-out-of-the-gates success as something positive, because Flower often come out slow-out-of-the-gate... This is a start of a nice new trend.. if he keeps this up, hopefully he can ride this confidence into the playoffs. And before we starting doubting what he does in April, lets realize it is only November. Yes, I get there is a flip side to that coin, but as a fan, you should be supportive of your players and their success. Even if you don't want to believe it will last, you should, because being a fan means supporting your guys. Especially when those guys have been playing well. I mean, what's the point if we're just eager to see someone fall flat on their facel? That's a depressing thought. I like to think we have a chance. I still like to think we do. We have a great team. We have won it with MAF, and we also fell flat with MAF in net, but I choose to focus on the first of the two, not the latter.

Anyway, I am glad Neal and Malkin are back. Now if only we can get Sid the Kid and those two to be on at the same time, (like in the 4-0 Caps thrashing), we would be a tough team to beat. When it's just Sid on and those guys are off, we're beatable. When it's just those two on and Sid off... again, we're beatable. When both lines are on, we're damn near unbeatable. See 2009 Stanley Cup. We need both of those guys (87 and 71) to be dominate. If they get there and sustain it, that will have a trickle down effect on their wingers and the rest of the team will follow. I would say that's the biggest issue right there. We were shut out of the game for nearly 46 minutes in. That is a bigger issue to me than Fleury's performance, with the exception of 5 minutes of the third period, he played a near-perfect game. With the talent we possess, 5 former 1st team All-Stars.... that is unacceptable! That is what you focus on, if you have to focus on what's not good with our team last night.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the President of the Anti-MAF Fan Club has chimed in with his redundant follow-up of why said goaltender is "yadda-yadda".... I sometimes wonder if people get the definition of the term "fan." Every goalie has a bad game, and really it wasn't all that much of a bad game. He was still near .900 for a save percentage. He still kept his team in it for the longest time. He was 1st in wins prior to tonight, now is 2nd overall. All he needs is a win to get him back into 1st place. I could and am saying you are "speaking too soon" about a guy who let in 3 goals on 29 shots, and still sports a 1.95 GAA, and .923 S% overall. Did he have a great game? Absolutely not, but he was solid for two periods, keeping us in it, and again, when the score was 3-2. Just remember, that perfect goalie doesn't exist out there. I mean look at Jonathan Quick and Henrik Lundqvist this season. They aren't exactly having super campaigns. MAF's numbers are better across the board. Yes, it's mostly due to a tighter run ship (the inclusion of Jacques Martin to the coaching staff), but for every improvement made on the stat sheet that can be credited to the team as a whole, there is flip side to that as well. One would think for every so-called bad game, it's not entirely all on MAF either. ;)

Since it's not all on him, and it was only a 3-2 loss after going 1.00 GAA, .950 save percentage, 1 SO, and a 3-1 record 4 games prior, I think we cut him some slack. What do you think? Once he has a 2013 Islanders playoff performance-isque self implosion, we can then go there. Until then, he deserves the positive talk, because with all the negativity surrounding him this past Summer, it just seems unwarranted at this point of time. Either way, one should look at his early-out-of-the-gates success as something positive, because Flower often come out slow-out-of-the-gate... This is a start of a nice new trend.. if he keeps this up, hopefully he can ride this confidence into the playoffs. And before we starting doubting what he does in April, lets realize it is only November. Yes, I get there is a flip side to that coin, but as a fan, you should be supportive of your players and their success. Even if you don't want to believe it will last, you should, because being a fan means supporting your guys. Especially when those guys have been playing well. I mean, what's the point if we're just eager to see someone fall flat on their facel? That's a depressing thought. I like to think we have a chance. I still like to think we do. We have a great team. We have won it with MAF, and we also fell flat with MAF in net, but I choose to focus on the first of the two, not the latter.

Anyway, I am glad Neal and Malkin are back. Now if only we can get Sid the Kid and those two to be on at the same time, (like in the 4-0 Caps thrashing), we would be a tough team to beat. When it's just Sid on and those guys are off, we're beatable. When it's just those two on and Sid off... again, we're beatable. When both lines are on, we're damn near unbeatable. See 2009 Stanley Cup. We need both of those guys (87 and 71) to be dominate. If they get there and sustain it, that will have a trickle down effect on their wingers and the rest of the team will follow. I would say that's the biggest issue right there. We were shut out of the game for nearly 46 minutes in. That is a bigger issue to me than Fleury's performance, with the exception of 5 minutes of the third period, he played a near-perfect game. With the talent we possess, 5 former 1st team All-Stars.... that is unacceptable! That is what you focus on, if you have to focus on what's not good with our team last night.

I don't have energy to respond to every statement you made, so ill keep it short

Yes the team in front of him played like garbage last night, and maf has had some great stretches this season showing us he can be an elite goalie. But it is clearly obvious he does not have mental toughness to bring the Pens back to the cup finals.

You focus on the one victory in 09 and ill focus on the 3 seasons that followed where he was a big part of the problem. I'm giving him a pass for Tampa series, due to the injuries, but he could have still stolen that one the way roloson did.

I don't have energy to respond to every statement you made, so ill keep it short

Yes the team in front of him played like garbage last night, and maf has had some great stretches this season showing us he can be an elite goalie. But it is clearly obvious he does not have mental toughness to bring the Pens back to the cup finals.

You focus on the one victory in 09 and ill focus on the 3 seasons that followed where he was a big part of the problem. I'm giving him a pass for Tampa series, due to the injuries, but he could have still stolen that one the way roloson did.

Again, lets not focus on yesteryear. Lets focus on now. I think he has been great. The short form of it is, he has been playing pretty damn good hockey and we don't know for sure how the 2014 playoffs will play out. You can't predict the future and neither can I. One thing that I can say is a positive, is his start. Which has been different from other years. From game 1 of this season he has been solid. I like that. It is promising and as a fan, you should like that too. You are a Penguins fan, right? When and if the time comes he doesn't play well for any stretch of the season, then by all means, have at it, because we all know you will. Just right now, there is no justification for it. He's our starter and you have to accept that. Maybe next year he isn't. But for now, he is. And he's been playing very well at it.

Another solid game by maf tonight..... :)

In fairness, and this is being VERY nice to MAF, the Leafs have some magical shooting percentage ability. This is the only way to explain how violently the Leafs have been outshot this year, yet have a respectable record.

I'm a Leaf fan, and in my real world hockey league, I get to feel like a real life Leaf goalie. Well, mainly the "being outshot 5 to 1 at best". Not any of the "highly paid and famous" aspect.

In fairness, and this is being VERY nice to MAF, the Leafs have some magical shooting percentage ability. This is the only way to explain how violently the Leafs have been outshot this year, yet have a respectable record.

I'm a Leaf fan, and in my real world hockey league, I get to feel like a real life Leaf goalie. Well, mainly the "being outshot 5 to 1 at best". Not any of the "highly paid and famous" aspect.

no doubt they scored on the few chances they had, but you cant blame the shooting percentage for that blunder behind the net once again...

I still cant believe the Leafs didnt get one shot in the third or OT, man that is totally unacceptable.

no doubt they scored on the few chances they had, but you cant blame the shooting percentage for that blunder behind the net once again...

I still cant believe the Leafs didnt get one shot in the third or OT, man that is totally unacceptable.

I don't understand the lack of shots. I've seen most of their games - while they often look like they're being out played, it's never as bad as the shot stats would appear.

I also don't like the grey area wording of goalie interference, where Malkin was able to push Bernier into the net with his stick on the tying goal.

Dear Eli,

I no longer care about the NHL or the Caps until McFail is fired.......which appears to be never.

P.S. Mike Green sucks *****.

Reid Boucher had an incredible outting for a last minute call-up... NHL debut. Also singing his praises because I have him in my fantasy league. Same with Sean Couturier. Love his break out game... 2 goals and 4 points last night. That Read-Couturier-Downie line is something else!

And lastly, who is 2-0-0 and has a .97 GAA and .955 save percentage after having a game where a so-called poster dumped on him.... Ahhhh yes, that would be Fleury. Where's Deeznutz to be found? No where. I don't get this so-called Penguins fan. When Fleury does well. Nothing... not a peep. If he has a bad game or two, no different than anyone else in the league, he ****s on him. Funny thing... Maybe I got this fandom thing wrong. :cuckoo:

Back