Premium Format New Sideshow Spider-Man (Comic) PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what your point is but if those prices are what constitute a price hike in value, after you factor in shipping and eBay fees, and the likelihood of paying compensation for pieces damaged in transit (which smart sellers cannot rule out), then I believe our perception of value has indeed fallen low. And this is the exclusive in question, not even the regular.

And, have you seen the size of that box? It cost me about £70 to ship to Scandinavia. I normally ship large PFs to Scandinavia for £20. There's no way I'd have shipped to Russian Federation or transatlantic, because of costs. Selling that piece for $416, or $505 or $509 or $355 cannot be seen as value for money, whether you purchased from Sideshow direct or from your next-door neighbour.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your point is but if those prices are what constitute a price hike in value, after you factor in shipping and eBay fees, and the likelihood of paying compensation for pieces damaged in transit (which smart sellers cannot rule out), then I believe our perception of value has indeed fallen low. And this is the exclusive in question, not even the regular.

And, have you seen the size of that box? It cost me about £70 to ship to Scandinavia. I normally ship large PFs to Scandinavia for £20. There's no way I'd have shipped to Russian Federation or transatlantic, because of costs. Selling that piece for $416, or $505 or $509 or $355 cannot be seen as value for money, whether you purchased from Sideshow direct or from your next-door neighbour.

Th point is that you said he was not selling for $100-$150 above retail, these are only the last 5 listings. One sold at retail and damaged PF sold at just under, one sold at $250 above retail and two others sold at $100 above retail. This is before the buyer paid for shipping. Ebay fees are not part of the equation as the we're talking about sold prices not net money earned. And as I have shown the EX which what we're talking about for both Batman and Spider-man, and the Batman EX sells for above retail around the prices I gave, when you said they did not.
You can make whatever comments you wish, but the fact remains that EX's on "most", not all but most, of Sideshows last offerings slowly climb in value over time and I have offered you data that supports it.

Th point is that you said he was not selling for $100-$150 above retail, these are only the last 5 listings. One sold at retail and damaged PF sold at just under, one sold at $250 above retail and two others sold at $100 above retail. This is before the buyer paid for shipping. Ebay fees are not part of the equation as the we're talking about sold prices not net money earned. And as I have shown the EX which what we're talking about for both Batman and Spider-man, and the Batman EX sells for above retail around the prices I gave, when you said they did not.
You can make whatever comments you wish, but the fact remains that EX's on "most", not all but most, of Sideshows last offerings slowly climb in value over time and I have offered you data that supports it.

I said no such thing but oh, ok.

Batman EX isn't really selling for that high mate. Some have struggled to sell at all, and the regular is persistently selling for significantly less than retail. I bought my regular for £210 or around $320 recently. I sold it because, well, I wasn't sure what the fuss was about. To put that price in perspective, UK retailers currently have modern Batman for over £420, or double what I paid.

At over $500, with a variant, and with over 5,000 pieces in total (I'm not sure how many regulars were made), this Spider-Man PF is not an item that'll rise in price. That's my projection.

This is not a projection based on whether he has sold out or not by now - although compared to the Thursday night ten minute sellouts back in the day, several months for a Spider-Man PF EXCLUSIVE to not be sold out, is baffling to say the least; assuming one isn't clear with SSC's strategy today. Rather my projection is based on price as a function of aggregate supply and market availability, whether this item sells out now or in one year.

Despite all the hype around Captain America Charge on Hydra, I listed my EX for almost half a year and finally sold him below retail. I shipped it before the buyer changed their mind. Sorry if this isn't the warm fuzzy conversation that has been ongoing. But just because something is uncomfortable to hear doesn't mean its detached from reality.

I like the piece - I admire Canale's work and always will. But its not a $500 piece and it shouldn't have been made in ES of 7,500 or however many, with variants even before the EX(!) is sold out. You can have high pricing and high demand because of limited supply - that's the economics of luxury goods. You cannot have high pricing, copious amounts of supply, and expect fever pitch demand. It is fever pitch demand that pushes prices up. And it is limited supply that causes fever pitch demand.

Again, I probably know too little about this market to be right in my projection.

I said no such thing but oh, ok.

See bolded part above.

So long as you convince yourself is what matters. I was merely pointing out why the economics of SSCs strategy means their pieces simply don't hold value like they used to. If I buy a piece for significantly higher than I used to, and the item is available in significantly higher numbers within the secondary market than was ever the case, then the value for money, one would think, is proportionately lower.

High prices and flooding the market has always been a recipe for failure, so far as luxury goods are concerned. I would say, at least years back, SSC items were luxury goods.

If you struggle to recoup costs for an item, then you have to question its value to begin with. The sales of EXs, in general, do not necessary support your "fact"; nor do the sales of the Batman EX in Europe approximate a "fact" of increased value. I don't see how you could look at a piece that was $400 after shipping, and well over $500 after shipping and customs to the UK, and call those numbers a "fact" of increased value. And this is duly ignoring the eBay fees, which you say don't matter

But what do I know :monkey3

I feel you on this. After subtracting all of that, this is what you really end up with. I've recently sold a number of items including SS PFs (ex) and while the selling price looks great I usually end up breaking about even. Some of those boxes are big and I had to eat partial shipping fees because freight was calculated incorrectly (thx eBay).

I still ordered this though, not really worried about the aftermarket.

And what does the emphasised part tell this forum, exactly? That I said EXs don't sell for $100-$150 more? Because I said no such thing. I said sellers struggle to sell their pieces, or more specifically, that the Batman EX, which you--not I--selected as an example, does not sell for that high; which it does not, even going by your numbers.

Even assuming I said what you said I did--which I did not--Did your examples show they sell for $100-$150 more? Considering the initial price was $400 without shipping, I'm not sure the prices you quote reflect your "fact".

And what does the emphasised part tell this forum, exactly? That I said EXs don't sell for $100-$150 more? Because I said no such thing. I said sellers struggle to sell their pieces, or more specifically, that the Batman EX, which you--not I--selected as an example, does not sell for that high; which it does not, even going by your numbers.

Even assuming I said what you said I did--which I did not--Did your examples show they sell for $100-$150 more? Considering the initial price was $400 without shipping, I'm not sure the prices you quote reflect your "fact".

I said they sell for $100-$150 more than retail you said, and I quote "Batman EX isn't really selling for that high mate.", I gave you the last 5 sales. Three of which sold for and again, I don't even know how you're arguing this, $105 over retail, $109.79 over retail and 249.99 over retail.

This is the point where I let this conversation drop.

Not sure what it is you are trying to prove but I'd rather not get into silly season by doing rudimentary arithmetic on a statue forum. Whatever point you have been trying to make, consider it vigorously made.

Back to what I was saying, considering this thread topic, this piece has been over-priced and over-produced and the market dynamics suggest it is unlikely to rise considerably in price as a result. The days of buying Punisher comiquette regular for £200 and selling for £700 are, in my view, over. Even for spectacular pieces such as Lobo, fuhgetaboutit those sort of margins are gone.

$500 x 7,500 pieces + variant is simply too much, for too much. It will be interesting to see if SSC realize that their strategy is devaluing their brand and change. I think its fair to say printgate over at statue forum has comprehensively dismantled the myth that SSC provides value for money in that area of their business. Looking at this PF, and at others for that matter, I struggle to see where the value is re: the PF line. I and many other seller-collectors struggle to break even, much less sell at considerable profit. Exclusives are slightly better, but not always.

Its a lot worse in Europe, moreover

Not sure what it is you are trying to prove but I'd rather not get into silly season by doing rudimentary arithmetic on a statue forum. Whatever point you have been trying to make, consider it vigorously made.

Lol wut??

He bolded what you said, then provided facts (for his argument) and wrote out exactly what he was trying to prove/say. I don't understand how this can't be understood.

Anyway, don't mind me. Just passing through.

Lol wut??

He bolded what you said, then provided facts (for his argument) and wrote out exactly what he was trying to prove/say. I don't understand how this can't be understood.

Anyway, don't mind me. Just passing through.

I'm a simpleton, mate. Perhaps that's why. Or perhaps I was using a particular figure of speech, which you didn't understand... Either way, don't mind me either.

So many people on this forum lately clearly getting proven wrong then just arguing and insulting people until their blue in the face...

Mods, please clear this gibberish from an untruthful man...

I've been talking about, or have been trying to talk about, the Spider-Man PF. Just because my views aren't the same as the dominant conversation does not mean they are gibberish. I insulted no one. Calling someone untruthful is itself an insult. And if you are talking about me, you are making a big assumption about my sex.

I've been talking about, or have been trying to talk about, the Spider-Man PF. Just because my views aren't the same as the dominant conversation does not mean they are gibberish. I insulted no one. Calling someone untruthful is itself an insult. And if you are talking about me, you are making a big assumption about my sex.

I'm not going to continue this nonsense. A conflicting point within your babble was pointed out and you blatantly denied it. Talk about Spidey, leave it at that.

I'm not going to continue this nonsense. A conflicting point within your babble was pointed out and you blatantly denied it. Talk about Spidey, leave it at that.

Not sure what you are getting wound up about, mate. I have as much right to air my views on this thread as you or anyone else. You sound a little angry and a bit too commanding so I'd rather not address you further, to be honest :wave

Old debate is old...it will sell out and go up. I don't know why people think that if it doesn't sell out in a week, that it won't.

People scoffed at the Batgirl ES...now good luck finding one
Lobo...yeah right

Some of the old grails even sat around a while

Last edited:
I think being a Spidey collector now is like the best and worst time. Haha. Two SS Spideys. SS Green Goblin and JSC Black Cat. Iron Studios Spidey. XM Sinister Six and Venom and MJ and Eventual Spidey. Easily $10k right there. Damn. Haha. Anyone here decided on getting all that?

I think being a Spidey collector now is like the best and worst time. Haha. Two SS Spideys. SS Green Goblin and JSC Black Cat. Iron Studios Spidey. XM Sinister Six and Venom and MJ and Eventual Spidey. Easily $10k right there. Damn. Haha. Anyone here decided on getting all that?

Not getting everything but here's how I'm looking at the moment:

Have:
Iron Spidey Comiquette
Spidey Legenedary Scale bust Ex
Spidey Comiquette Ex
Rhino Comiquette Ex
JSC Spidey Ex

Current PO:
New ASM PF Ex
Sosa custom

Locked In:
Dio
Sandman

Eventually:
Symbiote, no rush to PO this one

Future PO:
New Green Goblin PF...
...hopefully SS Venom PF since all hints point to that being a reality...
Would like Iron Studios Spidey, need to see more

Back