Premium Format New Sideshow Spider-Man (Comic) PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realized that SS choice of a 'bridge' base will limit future villains from fitting in with the grand scheme of things, if that is their intent. Of course some villains such as Doc Ock, Vulture, GG, & others can compliment this design choice nicely. Really curious to see how that will all pan out.

I own the Koto Spidey too. A PHENOMENAL statue in every way. Since I already have the SSC Venom COM, I passed on the Koto Venom (still think it looks great though). Instead of the Koto Venom, I picked up the Diamond Select Marvel Milestones Green Goblin statue. It fit in perfectly with the Koto Spidey and I had to have Green Goblin represented in my collection. Now I just want to see what the Green Goblin PF is going to look like in this line. If it looks good, I'll be all over it.

I'm ridiculously envious of anyone that has the Koto Spidey and am forever kicking myself for not picking it up when it came out. Nowadays I can't justify the AM price it goes for on a 1/6th.

Atheris just ruined my opinion of the base...

challah-f75627b3d12ff260431281db50da9371fc7ed80d-s6-c30.jpeg

Price is crazy time too. Someone here or on the SF posted once about $500 PFs. I'm sure I thought that was crazy. But by the end of the year or this time next year we will be there. Actually we already are if you add shipping.

This is such a bittersweet moment.

On the positive side, it's absolutely gorgeous. I love that they incorporated the pumpkin bombs into the base, and have the bridge exploding in order to give it the width it needs to support the statue. It's also clear that the balance issue has gone through some testing with all the various twists and turns the piece takes.

spider3.jpg

And if they nail it...man, as it was mentioned before, this could go down as one of the best statues around. It captures Spidey's agile nature perfectly, tells a story, and just suits the character so much. If the paint apps are on par with statues like Deadpool, Joker, and a few other recent hits then it'll be a homerun. Just looking at the back I can picture the shading they did with Deadpool, and if it's all done right this will be stunning in person (which we'll all see come SDCC...well, in video at least! :lol)

spider2.jpg

The EX web-shooting hand is great, and while I agree the "Take Aim" sculpt is neat to have, I think saving $20 or whatever would've been preferred by most. The easiest alternate head was just changing the eyes up a bit, to a more shocked or angry look; however, they went really simplistic, almost to the point where it's hard to notice a difference at all. Still, if you're getting the EX, an extra head is always a bonus -- especially since the $20 probably wouldn't have come off anyway!

spider1.jpg

And while pictures this close (closer than you'd ever really look at the piece) tend to normally show issues, it's clear that the factory will really have to take its time and get the lines right. That's almost the key to the entire piece, so hopefully Sideshow ups their game there in terms of watching QC...especially with the up in cost.

Which brings me to the price...the main reason why this is bittersweet and not just amazing. I'd hoped that it'd come in at under $450, and I think jumping right to $470 is a mistake. Instead of everyone saying "Insta-PO!" which would be par for the course -- especially on a piece like this -- most are holding out, debating, flat out not ordering, or cancelling other items in order to get this one.

While people will definitely still order, I do think Sideshow will feel this price jump in the long run. I believe this will knock many out of the game, or bring them down to one select piece a year. While it used to run rampant, I think the days are, "Oh man, I don't know much about that character, but that statue is amazing! PO!" are fading away quickly -- if not already gone.

There are loads of things still on deck...Aquaman still hasn't been revealed, and it'd be pretty odd for him to be $470 while Superman and Batman were $399.99...but look at the blue Batman variant, which was $30 more, and then Red Son, which went against all logic and is going for $470. It's pretty sad that it's jumped up so quickly...especially for international customers. The Canadian dollar is terrible right now, and I know those in Australia and elsewhere can pay in the triple digits for shipping it in, not to mention customs.

But I do love this piece. In my opinion it's the perfect 1/4 embodiment of Spider-Man. I've got some rewards points and gift money that will knock this down to a more reasonable level, but as far as statues go, this will probably be one of my last ones. Bittersweet...and somewhat sad day indeed.

cry-about-it-lol.gif

Too expensive.

Worried about QC and leaning.

Wish it fit in a Besta.

and need to wait and see what XM do with Spidey.

Back