New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

Amy Amy Amy!!:impatient:

Maybe the figure will be a regen set. Wet blue suit right after regen and then the bow tie etc. Might look great. Might even make me buy 2 to display both ways

Bob,
I think there are some people in this thread that would want the line to consist entirely of Tennant figures.

What annoys me is how BC said in the initial announcement that they have the Classic license then they go on to mention the first 2 and probably the next 2 figures after that are from the current era. To me that's not really sounding like they're gonna have much in store for Classic fans.

It's like they're dangling the carrot in the hope people will jump onboard for the figures they aren't as intrested in as they think it'll increase the chances of the characters they want being made.

I fell for that kind of BS with Character Options and won't do so again.

Yeah, you might be right. I think Tennant still has a huge following and perhaps they see him as their "ace card". Perhaps along with the actual companions we will get Mickey and Rose's Mum :lol Mr Baker FTW !!!!!

Again I disagree, we are dealing with pop culture, but also a licensor (i.e the BBC) who will want to reflect their product (i.e the programme) as it stands now!
Tennant is already retro, he left like 2 years ago, he's ancient history. He'll be worthy soon, perhaps third,fourth or fifth wave. But to start off with him would be like saying 'He was the best, we'll get to the new guy soon'. And for me personally Matt's portrayal is superior to Tennant's, I prefer an ecccentric over a frenetic everytimer. He's meant to be a cerebral solver of problems, not a bi-polar action hero!

I've got to disagree here. Taking a 50 year old licence and saying 2 years ago is ancient history makes no sence to me (especially with a time traveller :wink1:). Tennant played the Doctor for a long Time and Smith has only had just under two seasons. To Some people (right or wrong) Tennant is THIER Doctor. I just don't think as a marketing stategy you should lead with your trump card as many people would pick that up and stop there. I think you should start with what you perceve to be your second best seller, get people hooked and go from there. As I said above perhaps The company are hoping Tennant will be thier "cash Cow" when they release figs. I wasn't talking about what the licencor wants to do, more about what I think would result in most sales (although I can see there is a conflict of interests there). Personally I worry for the line with the announced first 4 figs, but I would deffo pick up a Smith if the quality is there, perhaps Amy too. I Would LOVE a Doctor and TARDIS in my collection. If Smith is the only option I'll take it as I think he is a GREAT Doctor.

Bob

Maybe the figure will be a regen set. Wet blue suit right after regen and then the bow tie etc. Might look great. Might even make me buy 2 to display both ways

..ehh really? ..a figure of 11 with clothing from 10? based on that one episode:dunno no, i expect 11 to come with his standard clothing and a few accessories, we will get the 10th doctors clothing with the 10th doctor.

Yeah, you might be right. I think Tennant still has a huge following and perhaps they see him as their "ace card". Perhaps along with the actual companions we will get Mickey and Rose's Mum :lol Mr Baker FTW !!!!!

I've got to disagree here. Taking a 50 year old licence and saying 2 years ago is ancient history makes no sence to me (especially with a time traveller :wink1:). Tennant played the Doctor for a long Time and Smith has only had just under two seasons. To Some people (right or wrong) Tennant is THIER Doctor. I just don't think as a marketing stategy you should lead with your trump card as many people would pick that up and stop there. I think you should start with what you perceve to be your second best seller, get people hooked and go from there. As I said above perhaps The company are hoping Tennant will be thier "cash Cow" when they release figs. I wasn't talking about what the licencor wants to do, more about what I think would result in most sales (although I can see there is a conflict of interests there). Personally I worry for the line with the announced first 4 figs, but I would deffo pick up a Smith if the quality is there, perhaps Amy too. I Would LOVE a Doctor and TARDIS in my collection. If Smith is the only option I'll take it as I think he is a GREAT Doctor.

Bob

Hmmm.....I see what you did there :lol

Whilst I can see the logic in having 11 & Amy as the first two figures, there's none at all in releasing secondary characters from any era so early on.

Contrary to what Nu-Who fanboys think, Tom Baker is still HUGELY popular in the USA, probably moreso than Smith or Tennant combined and he was the first Doctor many Americans ever saw via PBS. His impact on their popular culture is there for all to see,
tomsimpson.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lVlVbsWfZk"]‪Doctor Who on Family Guy‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

If this line is being pitched at the US collectors market the 4th Doctor & a companions should have been one of the initial wave of figures as there'd be way more demand for them than Rory or River.

I would love this line to succeed, I really mean that, what has been shown of the Smith sculpt is very promising but if Nu-Who is all that's going to be offered then my intrest will cease.

Last edited:

I wonder what outfit Amy will be in?

Contrary to what Nu-Who fanboys think, Tom Baker is still HUGELY popular in the USA, probably moreso than Smith or Tennant combined and he was the first Doctor many Americans ever saw via PBS.

If I take a step back and really think about it, I'm not so sure I would agree with that. For those of us Americans in our mid 30's and up, Tom Baker is our Doctor, but those PBS days were a long time ago now, and even then his impact on American pop culture was and remains incredibly minimal. Those Simpsons and Family Guy references were more of an inside joke for nerds to pick up on. Matt Smith has a pretty decent profile in the US. He's been on podcasts, talk shows, attended screenings of the show here, and I'm pretty sure the series gets relatively good ratings on BBCA. I honestly think a Matt Smith and crew or David Tennant figures would generate more interest here than Tom, though Tom of course would still be quite popular with us fogeys.

I would consider myself a muWho fanboy but I did love Baker when they played his episodes on PBS.

He's really the only oldWho I'd consider getting as a figure. Although Davidson and the curly red head had interesting costumes.

Contrary to what Nu-Who fanboys think, Tom Baker is still HUGELY popular in the USA, probably moreso than Smith or Tennant combined and he was the first Doctor many Americans ever saw via PBS. His impact on their popular culture is there for all to see,

Why not have both? :lol

889u.jpg

I will certainly be getting a Tennant and a Piper if made, along with the current pair.:)

Billie Piper probably won't allow her likeness to be used for any more figures. That is why there were only 2 versions in the Character Options 6 inch line.

Sue,
Looks like he's hanging round Tom in an attempt to make himself look better :lol

Last edited:

Aww, I took that photo at Nicks memorial on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised to see Tennant there. I thought that was very nice of him to do so.

Aww, I took that photo at Nicks memorial on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised to see Tennant there. I thought that was very nice of him to do so.

Sorry, my bad. I thought it was some publicity thing :slap

In that case it was very nice of him to show up.

Thinking about it he did work with Nick on one of the audios ( playing another UNIT officer ) prior to even becoming the Doctor so he would have spent some time with him.

Regardless of what I think of his portrayal of the Doctor I cannot fault Tennant for wanting to be there on such an occasion.

Last edited:

Well Nick told me that he often used to bump into David when out shopping in Crouch End, because at the time DT used to have a place round there.

They often used to chat and so it was nice that DT bothered to turn up on the day. I didn't even realize he was there until we all filed out after the ceremony.

He very nicely let some fans have their photo taken with him, before making his excuse and leaving to go back to his play.

71040713.jpg

Here's the Doctors I'd buy:

William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davison
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Paul McGann (Though I highly doubt he'll ever see the light...)
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
Matt Smith

All around Doctor Who fanboy FTW.

Hm.. How about including a black and white set for Hartnell and Troughton?

Last edited:

People were actually hassling DT for pics at an occasion like that....how disrespectful and downright tasteless some "fans" can be :mad:

Xenophilius,
Although they would make for intresting figures I doubt there's any intrest from the market Big Chief are aiming these figures at ( Nu-Who fans in the USA ) so there's realistically very little chance of Doctors 1 & 2 being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back