New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

Torchwood = 15 to 35'ish. Wouldn't let the kids watch it, and I'm not 100% sure I'll last all 10 episodes :(

I haven't watched the new TW. Why don't you think you'll last?

Yeah I kind of agree, except I'd say-

Doc Who = 5 to 100 yrs old (prob the biggest pulling power that BBC1 has on Christmas day). Pizza and popcorn has become a staple on Saturday evenings in our house while we sit and watch, my kids are 7 + 10 and me and the wife are a little older.

Torchwood = 15 to 35'ish. Wouldn't let the kids watch it, and I'm not 100% sure I'll last all 10 episodes :(

I am 17 going 18 in 9 days, caretaker is 55 and we both watch and love Doctor Who equally, which is quite a lovely thing. She used to talk about the old series all the time while we would try to connect events from the past to the ones now.

Agreed about Torchwood, I loved the episode but I'm unsure if I'll keep watching. Same happened before with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. Watched a few episodes but nothing more than that, but you will always find me taking time off for the good ol' Doctor.

I don't oppose it. I merely have no intrest in buying one, just the same as anything else from the modern era.

Then why did you write this?

he'd have to be released around the same time as a figure of 10......which I really don't want to see for a LONG time.

I haven't watched the new TW. Why don't you think you'll last?

Pretty much for the same reasons Xeno says below. I can't get past Barrowman's hammier than spam acting... in fact quite a bit of the acting made me squirm a little. When you get around to watching it check out when the CIA (or was it FBI) man, decides to get out of bed, I actually laughed out loud at one point. In acting less is so often more.
I can excuse it when watching Doc Who with the family, its a family show afterall. But Torchwood tries to be 'adult' but is riddled with inconsistency and problems. I could rip it to pieces, but I wont as it would be full of spoilers.

I am 17 going 18 in 9 days, caretaker is 55 and we both watch and love Doctor Who equally, which is quite a lovely thing. She used to talk about the old series all the time while we would try to connect events from the past to the ones now.

Agreed about Torchwood, I loved the episode but I'm unsure if I'll keep watching. Same happened before with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. Watched a few episodes but nothing more than that, but you will always find me taking time off for the good ol' Doctor.

Yep, watchin 'Who' is like a warm comfort blanket.

That has always been TW problem... It's not "adult" so much as what a 14 year old might think "adult" is. :lol

In the Torchwood thread I had mentioned that the trailers with Barrowman were putting me off watching this. You're spot on when you say his acting anymore seems "hammy".

Then why did you write this?

Where does that comment say I didn't want to see one made AT ALL which is what you seem to be inferring?

It doesn't.

My point is that 10 has already had 2 different 1:6 scale figures made whereas Doctors 1-9 have not had any official ones and 11 is just about to get his first.

By all means 10 should be made, but releasing all the modern Doctors & related characters straight away isn't going to keep those that only like the modern show intrested over the long term unless Big Chief are only in it to capitalise on the Nu-Who fad.

Last edited:

Where does that comment say I didn't want to see one made AT ALL which is what you seem to be inferring?

It doesn't.

My point is that 10 has already had 2 different 1:6 scale figures made whereas Doctors 1-9 have not had any official ones and 11 is just about to get his first.

By all means 10 should be made, but releasing all the modern Doctors & related characters straight away isn't going to keep those that only like the modern show intrested over the long term unless Big Chief are only in it to capitalise on the Nu-Who fad.

Sorry I don't do the number thing, but Baker has an amazing 1/6th available, problem is its a freakin statue. And I still have my old Denys Fisher + K9 figures from when I was a kid... sadly I lost my Giant Robot in the mists of time, but I guess they dont count, as Doc's about 8 or 9".
1/6th or die... tis my motto!

That has always been TW problem... It's not "adult" so much as what a 14 year old might think "adult" is. :lol

In the Torchwood thread I had mentioned that the trailers with Barrowman were putting me off watching this. You're spot on when you say his acting anymore seems "hammy".

Yeah, it's basically Hollyoaks with aliens, and I keep expecting Barroman to make Jazz hands and wink into camera!

but Baker has an amazing 1/6th available, problem is its a freakin statue

Indeed it is, which is why I have no intrest in it.....I like to be able to pose figures.

A figure of Tom is the most likely if Big Chief do make any Classic Doctors but if characters like Rory & River are being made so early on in the line I expect it'll sink without trace before any Classic characters are even considered.

I will get 11, Amy and Rory because just in case the line does fail (somehow I don't think it will though) they will be good to had for a nice complete display.

Captain Jack is a stand-in for The Doctor so of course he's going to be over the top sometimes.

Without him Torchwood is just an X-Files clone.

Indeed it is, which is why I have no intrest in it.....I like to be able to pose figures.

A figure of Tom is the most likely if Big Chief do make any Classic Doctors but if characters like Rory & River are being made so early on in the line I expect it'll sink without trace before any Classic characters are even considered.

I disagree, as I said above, I would imagine one of the target audiences will be North America. I'd bet you some hansome money that nu-who secondary characters would sell better than even Tom Baker. In the UK a cult following is like 15,000 devout followers, in the US it's more like half a million to a million. The math(s) is simple!

You have to remember that 'classic' Who is like the Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits to most modern fans... i.e a curiosity from the past, only appreciated by a hardcore fan base, popular, but niche. The new Doc Who stuff is more akin to Buffy, Stargate or even BSG

I will get 11, Amy and Rory because just in case the line does fail (somehow I don't think it will though) they will be good to had for a nice complete display.

I have to admit even I could live without Rory, but you are right, as a line-up he's an essential part!

Captain Jack is a stand-in for The Doctor so of course he's going to be over the top sometimes.

Without him Torchwood is just an X-Files clone.

I know 'irony', I can take 'eccentric' and I can even take 'over the top', so I recognise those traits (I'm English forchrisake)... but I can also see blatent over-acting a mile off!

I disagree, as I said above, I would imagine one of the target audiences will be North America. I'd bet you some hansome money that nu-who secondary characters would sell better than even Tom Baker. In the UK a cult following is like 15,000 devout followers, in the US it's more like half a million to a million. The math(s) is simple!

You have to remember that 'classic' Who is like the Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits to most modern fans... i.e a curiosity from the past, only appreciated by a hardcore fan base, popular, but niche. The new Doc Who stuff is more akin to Buffy, Stargate or even BSG
!

All well & good for the Yanks then. It's not like they don't get enough things specifically tailored for their market already :rolleyes2

All well & good for the Yanks then. It's not like they don't get enough things specifically tailored for their market already :rolleyes2

Trust me, everything will be tailored for China soon ;)

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think they should have stated with Tennant.

Say what you want about him, he was a very popular Doctor. I think "cashing in" on him while he is still fresh in peoples minds would have been a good idea as he would have been a really big seller and a great start for the line in terms of sales and orders, putting them in a healthy position to carry on the line without dealing their "Ace" at the start. Smith is the current Doctor and as such is the one that will be in most peoples minds, the one they see on TV each week and the one most people will want. I think for that reason they should have held him back for a bit. The longer he plays the Doctor the more people will "get to know him" and the more they would want a figure.

I just think starting with Tennant then a classic era release (Baker please) before Smith would get more sales. Once completest have 3 Doctors you are on a role I think you could even even throw in some villians (Daleks) before Smith.

I am REALLY interested is seeing where this line goes though and come what may I want a Baker Doctor before it ends :pray:

Bob

Bob,
I think there are some people in this thread that would want the line to consist entirely of Tennant figures.

What annoys me is how BC said in the initial announcement that they have the Classic license then they go on to mention the first 2 and probably the next 2 figures after that are from the current era. To me that's not really sounding like they're gonna have much in store for Classic fans.

It's like they're dangling the carrot in the hope people will jump onboard for the figures they aren't as intrested in as they think it'll increase the chances of the characters they want being made.

I fell for that kind of BS with Character Options and won't do so again.

Last edited:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think they should have stated with Tennant.

Say what you want about him, he was a very popular Doctor. I think "cashing in" on him while he is still fresh in peoples minds would have been a good idea as he would have been a really big seller and a great start for the line in terms of sales and orders, putting them in a healthy position to carry on the line without dealing their "Ace" at the start. Smith is the current Doctor and as such is the one that will be in most peoples minds, the one they see on TV each week and the one most people will want. I think for that reason they should have held him back for a bit. The longer he plays the Doctor the more people will "get to know him" and the more they would want a figure.

I just think starting with Tennant then a classic era release (Baker please) before Smith would get more sales. Once completest have 3 Doctors you are on a role I think you could even even throw in some villians (Daleks) before Smith.

I am REALLY interested is seeing where this line goes though and come what may I want a Baker Doctor before it ends :pray:

Bob

Again I disagree, we are dealing with pop culture, but also a licensor (i.e the BBC) who will want to reflect their product (i.e the programme) as it stands now!
Tennant is already retro, he left like 2 years ago, he's ancient history. He'll be worthy soon, perhaps third,fourth or fifth wave. But to start off with him would be like saying 'He was the best, we'll get to the new guy soon'. And for me personally Matt's portrayal is superior to Tennant's, I prefer an ecccentric over a frenetic everytimer. He's meant to be a cerebral solver of problems, not a bi-polar action hero!

More people have watched Matt Smith as the Doctor in the US on BBCA than ever watched Tennant on SciFi (if I recall correctly).

Bob,
I think there are some people in this thread that would want the line to consist entirely of Tennant figures.

What annoys me is how BC said in the initial announcement that they have the Classic license then they go on to mention the first 2 and probably the next 2 figures after that are from the current era. To me that's not really sounding like they're gonna have much in store for Classic fans..

Arghhhh, they haven't even released 1 figure yet! It's very early days. Of course the first few releases should be current, it makes total sense.

It's like they're dangling the carrot in the hope people will jump onboard for the figures they aren't as intrested in as they think it'll increase the chances of the characters they want being made.

I fell for that kind of BS with Character Options and won't do so again.

It's just business, you need a fan base to make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back