NECA's RoboCop is (NOT) a total bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA's RoboCop is a total bust

NECA's glow-in-the-dark Robocop gets "Pegwarmer of the Year". I don't think I've seen any of them sell down. I mena, it's a nice idea, but not for mass market - maybe as a low edition run SDCC thing, but it's a niche figure from a niche retro design.

Neca is doing a hell of a lot better then McFarlane these days. XD

Pfft, and FFS my McFail RoboCop's leg snapped off while standing and displayed, horribly thin brittle joints on that figure..not to mention the stupid left fist they gave that figure make it useless to get into a decent pose.

Pfft, and FFS my McFail RoboCop's leg snapped off while standing and displayed, horribly thin brittle joints on that figure..not to mention the stupid left fist they gave that figure make it useless to get into a decent pose.

Yeah it doesn't pose well. Theres about one gun-firing pose that looks good, otherwise he looks effeminate or like a kid having a tantrum.

That comparison really drives home how much NECA's sucked.

Lopsided head, ugly paint apps. Meh.

I'll wait for the holster one. Looks nice.

Necas holster robocop has a much nicer paint job. Saw it yesterday. Its much more metallic. Almost has a two tone hue to it.

I received my holster Robocop yesterday as well as the BD version. I never bought the original 2011 release, but I have looked at some closely at a TRU store before. Like Evil_Ash said, the paint job is much better. It's not a flat grey like the original, there are hints of purple and blue depending on how the light hits it. And the black armor parts are glossier than before.

Can't believe I'm saying it, but with the new paint job and the holster (which works incredibly well), I think this is my new favorite Robocop toy. It sits above the other ones in my collection, which include the McF version, the Figma version, the Kotobukiya figurine, the 1/4 Neca, and the HT figure (though I don't own that one anymore).

I'll try and take some pics when I get the chance (probably this weekend or friday).

I ended up caving and bought the holster Robocop this evening at Toys R Us.

They had a ton of the regular 2011 regular and glow in the dark versions, both of which I didn't buy so I was surprised to see something new.

I picked the one with the best paint apps and I gotta say, it looks pretty damn good. The colors are much better than the other ones. I love the metallic purple and blue.

I haven't opened it up yet but that holster gimmick definitely looks cool.

Originally, I had the McFarlane version but each one I bought ended up breaking at the hip. I really loved the sculpt and paint on it, as well as that drug bust display but those hips just killed it for me. They'd snap every time. Right now my Robocop collection consists of the 18" NECA (one of my favorite figures), this new version and a couple other pieces. Definitely looking forward to adding the Hot Toys version.

I have 3 McFarlane Robocops and only one of them broke - and that was only after my brother knocked him off the shelf onto a hard floor. Another one I never opened so who knows.

Anyway, after cancelling the holster figure at FP.com I ended up reordering at BBTS. I was pissed off at having to double-dip on clean Robo but with so many people saying its better than the previous one I caved. Just waiting on the Kyle Reese wave of Terminator figures to have my loot shipped.

Why? Apart from the original post I thought things had turned quite positive in here about the new figure.

The main complaint the OP had was still no ED-209 and still no Peter Weller faced Robocop - but the existing figures are good. Including the BD one which isn't a 'cash-grab' as the OP called it - the sculpt was retooled for the battle-damage. If it had just been a repaint I might have agreed.

Every Leg spring RoboCop had a ****ed up head. Splotchy crusty paint apps, and damage along the faceplates.

There was atleast 6 of them. All had an issue. Meh.

I just bought the spring loaded holster Robocop and the head is messed up! You can't really see the head clearly through the plastic shell until you open it and find a bad scratch on the top of the head and what looks like they pulled the helmet from the trees and made a rip on the back of the helmet!

It looks like I'm going to use modelling putty and silver paint to fix it! I do like the articulation better than McFarlane's but the quality is bad on the NECA version. After I fix it up, I'll make it the Robocop 1 version while McFarlane's is the Robocop 2 version (since the light blue paint matches the movie).

McFarlane's Robo's head looks more like Weller than the NECA version imho.

NECA's glow-in-the-dark Robocop gets "Pegwarmer of the Year". I don't think I've seen any of them sell down. I mena, it's a nice idea, but not for mass market - maybe as a low edition run SDCC thing, but it's a niche figure from a niche retro design.

The McFarlane looks way better than Neca's.

I saw the glow-in-the-dark repaint and laughed. Kenner Ultra-Police tribute? Seriously?

Is that why the hell they released this crap? I saw that at TRU and my jaw dropped... ugliest thing I've ever seen. I had no idea why they would make such an ugly figure lol.

Now that I googled it I guess it makes sense. yuck... "shivers"

[ame]https://youtu.be/YfRhvVXdp40[/ame]

Here's a few pics of the spring loaded holster Robocop.

First of all, the head is messed up with a scratch on the top of the helmet, damage to near the visor, and damage to the back of the helmet on mines! Apologies for the bad pictures! My brother borrowed my Android so I'm stuck using a cellphone camera!

IMAGE028.jpg

The holster feature is nice! It reminds me of the Hot Toys version (which I have but stored away). You already seen pictures and videos of it on this forum so I don't need to show it.

In terms of flexibility, I'll compare it to the McFarlane's version-

NECA (left) could squat down better because the ankles have a better range of movement.
Image024.jpg

Here's a closer look at the ankles. NECA is on the left while McFarlane's is on the right.
(I noticed the pin came off the piston in this picture. That happens to anything with pins/pistons! You should see McFarlane's Endoskeleton!)
Image025.jpg

NECA (bottom) has a ball jointed upper abdomen so Robo could do a gymnastics bridge. McFarlane's a stiff in the upper abdomen but has a swivel waist (like NECA has)
Image027.jpg

NECA's Robo (left) could spread his arms and legs for a wider stance than McFarlane's (right).
Image026.jpg

NECA's Robo (left) could bring his arms in closer but still can't hold onto a small steering wheel.
Image030.jpg

Here's a few size comparisons -

McFarlane's Robocop (left), NECA's T-800 (middle), and NECA's Robocop (right)
Image032.jpg

From left to right- NECA's T-1000, NECA's Robocop, McFarlane's Robocop (behind Endoskeleton), and NECA's T-800 BD Endoskeleton.
Image034.jpg

From Left to right- NECA's Robocop, McFarlane's Robocop, NECA's Friday the 13th Jason, NECA's Classic Predator, and NECA's Prometheus Engineer. There are Aliens in the background!
Image033.jpg

Last edited:

The Engineer figure is a good size. Though it makes you wonder why they couldn't make the Predators a little bigger if they're willing to go to that size. I've always felt that the Preds should be a little larger than they've been making them.

Anywho, the Terminator wave with Kyle Reese finally came into stock at BBTS and I've now asked my loot to be shipped which includes BD Robocop and Holster Robocop. Looking forward to them.

Back