• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

HT (Robocop) ED-209 CUSTOM-PRINTED DECALS; Extensively reaserched for film-accuracy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE FOR PAID BUYERS:
Guys, I'm sorry. I have been sick as a dog for the past three days, and it's still pretty bad.
I had fully intended to mail the first batch at the post office yesterday, Monday,
but I just haven't been well enough to get there and do it.
I promise I will get to the post office and mail ALL the existing orders on Friday May 23.
My sincere apologies for the delay.

WAIT LIST RESERVATIONS:
The new batch will arrive on the same day, Friday May 23. If I receive payments from the wait list buyers before Friday,
I will send those orders at the same time I send the rest.

I've had just enough energy to keep writing and updating the tutorial, and applying the decals to my own ED-209 so that I can include photos for the tutorial... so at least I've been spending my sick time on finishing this project as a whole. More new photos are being added at the bottom of the photo set on page 1. They show the masking technique I am using.
Thanks for your patience everyone, Friday is the day.

Here's a picture of me, so you know I'm not making this up.
robotoxicwaste.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the legs, after the new decals have been applied, and sealed with two coats of gloss lacquer and one coat of matte. The photo is a bit blurry, but the decal text is actually incredibly crisp. I'll replace this photo with a sharper one soon. At the moment the entire figure is bagged, in preparation for adding and sealing the final decals: the eight caution bars on the leg slider rails.
38.JPG

TUTORIAL PHOTOS CONTINUED

39.JPG
40.JPG
41.JPG

Final tips and techniques for spraying the lacquer coats: COMING SOON

Last edited:
Payment sent for my set. Cheers! Jeff
Thank you Jeff, all orders including yours are being mailed today.

The tutorial has been updated and changed many times, (ongoing) so those who can benefit from it should wait until I announce that it is "officially complete", then use the final version of it. That official announcement will appear in large blue text at the top of the title post of the tutorial, on page 2 of the thread.

Last edited:
Here are a few shots of the final results, with all decals applied. I love how the 'ED-209/3798 CRSL:R20' decal came out; the edges are totally invisible, and the gloss lacquer + dull coat layers returned the gun arm to a totally natural look.
(right-click the photos and select 'view image' to see them in full resolution)

42.JPG
44.JPG
43.JPG

Last edited:
Tutorial end: One last important tip​

NOTE: Shown in photos 5 and 6, is the inside of both legs where the black and white text decals belong. I typed captions in those pictures, advising that the metal frames be painted AFTER the decals are sealed with lacquer. I discovered that the opposite way gives a much better result; I strongly suggest the following course of actions:

1) Paint the whole rectangular plates metallic first, (two coats) right over the top of the original HT decals.
2) Apply the new custom decals, with carefully framed placement as illustrated.
3) Mask around the decals and frames, and the small red 'open' decals
4) Spray the exposed panels with two coats of gloss lacquer, allowing 45 minutes dry time between coats.
Skip the dull coat this time; the gloss lacquer isn't very shiny anyway, so it won't really be visible on the inside of the legs only, on such small patches. If you spray dull coat on, it will make the metallic frames look gray, not metal.

Well, I think that about covers the whole process. This tutorial is finished, if I didn't miss anything. For those who needed it, I hope it helps you get an excellent final result, and thank you all!!!

Last edited:
Thank you jrice, I'm glad you're happy with them.
I particularly like the way the orange triangle looks on the right leg; I was tempted to apply it on both sides, but then I would forever lose the red and white version, which is also seen in the film. Below the triangle, I also like how the custom yellow caution bars match the color of the five tiny little shapes that protrude from the metal disc. I got lucky, the color appears to be the perfect matching shade of yellow. There was no way to be sure of matching the color when I was creating the images in Photoshop. Like I said, I got lucky.

By the way - I would like to leave feedback for all buyers, but I'm somewhat in the dark about how to do that; it's been several years since I sold the War Machine decals, and back then the feedback system was a nightmare. jrice73 gave me positive feedback for the ED-209 decals (thanks!) and it was easy to respond with same, but I don't know how to initiate giving it myself. Link anybody? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back