Nathan Drake by Sideshow Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying to give the data to random peeps for custom figures, I'm talking about proper licensed products. Work with them, or even request to have a 3D model printed out.

Videogame artists are using ZBrush to build 3D character models, those are the 3D models that I'm talking about, that I think would be really cool to have printed out for our figures. I'm guessing Nathan Drake, Joel, Ellie, Naked/Solid/Liquid Snake ..... etc, & a bunch of other AAA videogame characters, already have some type of official 3D model, that is able to be 3D printed.

I think this is done in ZBrush. So it's printable right? Or am I missing something & this can't be 3D printed? I'm not super knowledgeable about ZBrush..

What I'm saying is that playable character model that is used in videogames is not created in Zbrush. Zbrush is a modeling program, not an animation program.

Naughty Dog artists are creating the models in Zbrush, but those models are not being used in the videogame.

Yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get the models from one program to the other, its 2014!

What I'm saying is that playable character model that is used in videogames is not created in Zbrush. Zbrush is a modeling program, not an animation program.

Naughty Dog artists are creating the models in Zbrush, but those models are not being used in the videogame.
I think the ZBrush models are the higher res base models for the game characters, which then get retopologized to a lower res mesh, then rigged for animation in an animation program. So basically, it's a higher res version of the in game model.

So basically it's the better version to 3D print.

Which basically makes me right .....

booya-mal.gif

Kinda.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about from the beginning. So we weren't really talking about the same thing. But I'll take it :lol

Videogame character sculpts should always be 3D printed from the highest res official ZBrush (or whatever modelling program used) 3D model, for our little dollies. That is all.

I'm not arguing. I'm playfully messing around while trying to make some sense at the same time :lol

Plus, I haven't taken the scarf off mine, so I didn't really know if it looked the same. Sorry.

Great work Robbie and Mattman!!! The figure looks so much nicer with a bit of work to the head :rock :rock

Oh Sideshow, when will you bless us with a human figure that doesn't need at least one thing fixed. This is probably one of their best efforts... but two bad calls (eye work, and wide eye plat) just messed it up.

If anyone wants their figure modded let me know, I'll have some availability in about a week and could turn some of these around pretty quickly :duff

Great work Robbie and Mattman!!! The figure looks so much nicer with a bit of work to the head :rock :rock

Oh Sideshow, when will you bless us with a human figure that doesn't need at least one thing fixed. This is probably one of their best efforts... but two bad calls (eye work, and wide eye plat) just messed it up.

If anyone wants their figure modded let me know, I'll have some availability in about a week and could turn some of these around pretty quickly :duff

Thanks man. The changes are not that difficult. I want Sideshow to hire me to go babysit the line. I know that is where they are falling down.

Thanks man. The changes are not that difficult. I want Sideshow to hire me to go babysit the line. I know that is where they are falling down.

It would be great if they would really have someone at the factory monitoring the lines... it seems like the factory just does what they want and Sideshow accepts it. I don't think anyone would look at the head and think "yeah, that's a good product for $160".

It would be great if they would really have someone at the factory monitoring the lines... it seems like the factory just does what they want and Sideshow accepts it. I don't think anyone would look at the head and think "yeah, that's a good product for $160".

If they had someone monitoring the factory QC lines it would go something like this...

"****" "poor" "****, ****, crap, alrightish, crap, poor, awful, ****, ...just about all right, crap, ****..etc etc"

The overall manufacturing and production of the figures is deeply flawed (and cheap?!?) in certain areas.
Doesn't matter who you stick in the factory to QC them, SS have a lot of very talented people working for them, it's the top brass that need to sorted in regards of a successful production model. IMO.

I mean there were actual parts of this set which looked as good even better than HT, the bandolier, parts of the costume were HT quality.

And that's really been the story for years... some aspects of a figure are as good or better than anyone else, but then you get weird problems.

Like the ANH Luke.. overall lot of good points (Buck body aside and again the paint work), yet the gave him this awful tunic made of a cheap-o synthetic fabric that was the wrong color and was impervious to water treatment. Rest of the outfit and accessories was great (for the time), but the tunic was ungodly. I actually used a Hasbro tunic to improve mine. You know something is wrong whenever you've got to use a Hasbro item for an upgrade :lol

Sideshow has been doing this for a while. Look at the Episode 4Han Solo. Who is that guy? Then Look at the ESB Lando looks just like Billy Dee! Look at the ESB Luke Skywalker who is that guy? Then look at the RTOTJ Luke, looks a lot like Mark Hamill.

I know this figure is the Uncharted 3 Nate, therefore it should replicate that Nate that is in that game, but as a character his look will tweak a little as the tech improves for them to code games on, and the team gets better at it. Nate in the Uncharted 4 looks more lifelike than he's ever looked before, so these figures will look quite different to the Nate we get in Uncharted 4... If they make a further sequel again, his game characterisation should look even better.

Damn,
I'm almost wishing I hadn't cancelled mine, with the mods and repaint it looks like a different figure. As many others have said though you shouldn't have to do this to a"high end" collectible figure !.
After modding and a repaint it looks like a 500 dollar figure to me.

Back