My Attempt At Clone Armour

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job & tutorial.I never thought that Dorg's armour casting madness would infect anyone but it looks as if it has.That is quite an undertaking...but Dorg is the man to have in your corner when it comes to doing that sort of thing.
Keep up the good work.

oh...& BTW....welcome to the forum

Well progress has been slow of recent, been trying to sculpt the AT-RT helmet which is slowly taking shape and filling of the dreaded air bubbles is taking a while.
Had some down time at work today so put the time to good use.
While awaiting for the arrival of another shocktrooper and making a start on a spare 501st trooper I decided to put my new mini sewing machine to the test.
Not really over the moon with its stitching ability but thats what you get for buying a cheapie, worth a try though.

Anyway thought I'd post the results.

Commander Bow
Material is like a swade and the edging is just Bias binding
I used Fabric tape to line the binding up then stitched along the edge.
Shoulder armour is a cast from Rex

GxaqeBK.jpg

GRM2DTN.jpg

QHQrU5c.jpg

Commander Thire
I used a red Pleather I found at a fabric warehouse near me along with a few other bits for later projects.
Again the edging is just Bias binding
Along the bottom edge I inserted soldering wire to create a posable hem, worked quite well too.

IbWJQfx.jpg

OXxpCBW.jpg

ePQPzsX.jpg

A3Ra87p.jpg

owww great frocks man hahah.... they look really good... wish I could sew like that..... They are gonna look amazing!!

Clones, I love me some clones. I really would like a bunch of troopers and a Rex and Cody to surround my Jedi/Sith. May have to see if I can strip down the clone Obi and cast his armour. Only issue for me is my painting is terrible.

Love the customs, real good paint and design Keep them coming.

I am also a understudy of dorgmal snow. Great guy, helped me figure out the casting to and I now have loads of skulls.

Thanks cloud, if you need any assistance with the casting process or anything drop me a line, I'd be glad to help.

I would say that it'll be the smaller parts like the elbow and knee armour that will cause you the most headaches, might be better just to buy them as there fairly cheep.

I'm going to try for a Cody Helmet cast next so will keep you updated.

Also my painting skills aren't fantastic but I'm planning on airbrushing my way through most of it, though I'm a bit nervious about tackling a head.

Just be careful. Recasting tends to get teh banhammer swung at you on this board.

Though, If you're keeping them just for yourself, I think you'll probably be alright.

I know , Ive already had the conversation with the adimn about not passing these on for Gain or profit on the public forum, and assured them that I will not.
I will however be glad to help with any tips or knowledge that I have gained while doing my own.

The Real sticky Goo of Copy Right and Legalities, Ahhh we love it,....NOT!

Me to i think they Sideshow may have had a wee conversation with Stephen to make us aware of the legalities of recasting and just sent a friendly reminder to some of us :(....

I totally understand SS point and I don't want to get any one in any grief or me!! These boards have helped me so much and I only ever want to help as many folks out as possible and its never about making money to me.... and I do get very carried away making stuff :)

Compared to some forums this place has a relaxed attitude. The other forums treat recasters like child molesters. (Even though they might not have paid for a licence for there original works in the first place)

I think its all a matter of being responsible in what you are doing.:lecture
I'm looking at it from a point of veiw of
" OK , what Ive done(recasting) isn't exactly politically correct but if I weren't recasting parts( that incidentally I already have purchased and not borrowed) I would not be making the customs as I wouldn't be buying £90+Sideshow figures to canibalise", So Sideshow aren't really loosing anything.
Also I have invested well over £4000 on sideshow figures over the years and will continue to purchase them as long as they are producing a quality product.
If the characters that I produce customs of are ever released as official sideshow figures:pray:, I would be buying them and what I am doing is just making something to tide me by on until then.

My intention was never to put anyones nose out of joint( which hopefully it hasn't, Sideshow or otherwise) , certainly not to make a profit from them (which is gonna be pretty hard considering what they've cost in materials to make), but simply as a way of realising some artistic whims I've had in the past ,present and future.

Finally , I completely agree with you Dorg, its all about helping each other out, and I don't think that anyone Ive talked to so far on the forum would abuse the great work that sideshow do, they are just hyped about what they've produced and want to show it off.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Totally agree, this is the best hobby I have ever had and I love it and I this forum is a hive of positivity and creativity.

Well haven't really made much headway on the AT-RT Clone but have been busy none the less.

commander bow and Thire have come along leaps and bounds , as well as my first attempts at Head sculpt painting.

Got some more casting in too with DC17 Blasters and holster too.

Commander Bow
KqY9gaE.jpg

ddT3oHv.jpg

Commander Thire
3yfTM6k.jpg

VaiHue0.jpg

DC17 Pistol and Holster

JAcQnGx.jpg

q2468h0.jpg

As mentioned in my last post I've been making my first attempt at head sculpt painting.
The heads are ok, managed to get some reasonable tone texturing but the eyes, always the eyes:panic:

Any helpful tips or comments will be glady received :)

Head Paints
This head was a cast failure but figure he'd made a really beaten up Seargent, hense all the scars
I need to redo the eyes as they are pants and just look :google
npCAnhD.jpg

UJzjqXP.jpg

IUy8Azg.jpg

This is for a Cody Phase 2 I'm putting together, still needs some hair detailing and a couple of touch ups
xJ83S64.jpg

zOpPDFU.jpg

BDqFnm7.jpg

great start and painting heads is a real hard job... eyes are so tough..

Now you have painted them go back a re-touch round the eye lids and stuff... also if you do a really watered down red brown was over the entire head it will pick out the detail

Nothing too exciting here,Progress on the AT RT Clone has been slow but I have managed to get some of the armour into primer.
The Helmet is taking alot of working and reworking as is the backpack but I'll get there.
Got some ideas for the heavy blaster these guys always seem to have slung over their backs and am trying to find parts that will work.

dNCLP2o.jpg

Built up the bicep armour without too much hassle but not entirely happy with the Shoulders.
vFZrN06.jpg

Found a nice ammo belt that will work well on the leg armour
e9eZoq4.jpg

If anyone has comments or ideas I'd love to hear them.

Hi mate great work there the eye's Oow the eye they are all way the hardist part I hope this will help just like you just help me.

after painting the hole eye an off-white you need a very sharp pencil to draw a C-shape in the iris when you are happy with the shape and size go over the pencil line with a very thin paint brush in black after that work your way in with a blue or brown.

next you need to add the pupil to do this I use a toothpick just cut a little bit of the front of it dip the tip in the black paint dab the excess paint on to kitchen role and then add it to the centre of the iris.

now still with the toothpick with the very sharp end add a very small dot in the upper side of the eye

:wink1:

Wow, I havn't been into Star Wars for years now but this has really caught my attention. Such amazing customs! (Especially seeing as you are saying your an amateur...) I for one am really impressed with your progress and wish to do something like this myself one day, however at the minute I'm only good at painting.

I am finally starting the process of doing my own clones to. Between Mark (Dorgmal Sow) and this thread my confidence to atleast try has gone right up. Petrified at the idea of some parts like painting, head painting especially.

I also want to get a Phase 2 Rex bucket made up somehow but my fabrication skills are next to zero. :(

So tempted to buy all the major clones as I know I will not do them justice. No money at all though, I had to scrimp up money to get some more silicone and now I have seen the DX Jack Sparrow I want.....

Still, yours are looking great and I cant wait to see more.

Back